Confirmed Trade: [NYR/WPG] Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 2019 1st (20 OV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure if this was posted but this really changes the situation from "LOL CHEVY"

64496408_10157049804281488_4878661039517859840_o.jpg

Penguins were not alone in making a superior offer for Trouba than the Rangers & More Buzz
just to add a little more commentary, a poster from HF Jets emailed the author of this article

So I wrote the author of this story from insidepittsburghsports.com

William,

"Curious why you’re reported that Trouba threatened to hold out / refuse to sign with any team other than the Rangers when he and Overhardt had no control over this.

Chevy could simply used the second window for team elected arbitration on July 6th and Trouba would have had no other option than to play in Winnipeg as he’d be bound by the CBA to agree to the arbitrators decision.

Only the team, not the player, can walk away from an arbitration decision. Jets could then subsequently have traded him anywhere following the arbitration decision with Trouba having zero say in the matter.

Yes, many are still wondering why the Jets got such a lousy return but the case, at least as how you presented it, make no sense."

He responded:

"Winnipeg wasn’t keeping him past draft weekend under any circumstances, so this wasn’t really an option for Winnipeg. They wanted to move on and get a pick by Friday.

What you state is all true but with New York being the only team he was going to sign with long-term, any other team acquiring him wasn’t going to take him to arbitration when they were going to have such a small window to sell him to stay long-term. I know for a fact Pittsburgh was not going to go that route if they acquired him.

Thanks for the email."

Will

So in his second paragraph he states that no teams other than the Rangers were interested in making a deal under these conditions, which runs counter to his original story that Pittsburgh & other teams offered more.

Rather he's of the position that Chevy simply wanted to secure a first round draft pick before Friday and that NYR had one to offer.

That's a far different position that the article he composed.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, but that was Chiarelli. Doesn't count.
it counts.

cheveldayoff just got played by Overhardt plain ans simple. he had 3 years one holdout and a mountain of Overhardts history to prepare him but he refused to accept it. by the time he decided to act he had lost all leverage

Jetshomer
Snowman
Hunter368

all bought in and now look like fools because of it

none of us know what extents a player will go to to get what he wants...I learned that firsthand with Tavares. for 9 years the man preached nothing but Loyalty and begged not to be traded

so count me as fool too

its a hard lesson to learn, but learn it we must

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Man jets fans turned on Trouba fast... haha

Some of us never liked him but cheered him on because he's pretty decent at hockey and he played for our team. Of all the great players on the Jets for the past couple seasons, he's easily the one that I cared the least about. He's got the personality of a tree stump (at least in every interview I've ever seen); there have been rumblings of off-ice issues; he comes across as incredibly entitled and immature; and his off-season work ethic has been called into question going back to when he went to Gary Robert's summer camp with Scheifele.

I am in the camp that thinks Morrissey was the real star of that duo. It will be interesting to see how they each do apart. Obviously the evaluation will have to factor in their partner (I'm worried Morrissey is going to get saddled with a 5/6 guy).

Can't wait to see what Trouba signs for.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I wonder if the Rangers will also have to hire Trouba's little brother for a bullshit front office job to placate Trouba, like Chevy had to. Probably not because he wants to be in the big city.

Reactions: Samcanadian

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
In the end the Jets got a good young bottom pairing RHD that has potential to improve to maybe a #4 guy with time

I honestly wouldn't even know what to label Pionk at this point. Good and Bottom-Pairing-D seem like a bit of an oxymoron to me. But Pionk was thrown into the fire of playing #1 type minutes on a rebuilding Ranger team and performed about as bad as you could in them. A replacement level AHL callup kind of player probably would have gotten similar results in terms of points and on-ice impacts.

He's only 1 draft class ahead of Trouba, so he'll be in D+7 season but he's only 24 with 100 games under his belt, so he's got some racetrack I guess. With how I saw him perform last season, I would be hard pressed to envision him playing every day in the Peg on a team that is built to win the Stanley Cup this year.

But I hope he works out for you guys, he's a good kid.

Reactions: hn777

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Yeah weird post, no one thinks that Pionk will impact on the Jets
I will honestly be surprised if he even makes it as a #6. More like a #7/8. The Moose are going to love him though.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
It wouldn’t have mattered if you offered Matthews and Marner. He wasn’t going there.
Thats what he told the Winnipeg GM to torpedo his trade value, but that's not true. He would have had to show up for at least one season if he were traded to one of the teams not on his list of one.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
I guess the Rangers forgot about their rebuild. :D

I don't see how a 25 year old player (if he does re-sign with the Rangers) cannot be part of a rebuild.

And as many others have said, there's a good chance the Rangers can get a decent return at the trade deadline if he chooses not to sign.

Seems like a decent risk to me.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles
Nov 24, 2006
What would the Jets want for Colin Miller if they don't re-sign Myers?
Vegas needs cheap contracts, yes?

Would Kristian Vesalainen do it?

Overpay? Underpay?

Don’t know a lot about Miller but his name pops up on the Jets board as a want.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Thats what he told the Winnipeg GM to torpedo his trade value, but that's not true. He would have had to show up for at least one season if he were traded to one of the teams not on his list of one.
And Dubas would give up his 1st and a solid roster player or prospect in exchange for 1 year of Trouba at $6.5M? Nice try.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Considering trouba forced the jets to only deal with one team, it seems like the jets only had one option for a trade partner. I'm looking at the 2019 deals for ufa players and it seems like the return they got was in line with what the top players went for the most part. My question is to the rangers though. If you're a rebuilding team, and theres a player with an expiring contract that really wants to play for you...why not just wait a year and get the player for free at free agency? People talking like Gorton is some kind of genius, hes the biggest moron in all of this.

Reactions: KingBogo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad