Confirmed Trade: [NYR/WPG] Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 2019 1st (20 OV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
And Dubas would give up his 1st and a solid roster player or prospect in exchange for 1 year of Trouba at $6.5M? Nice try.
Well that's usually the trade deadline value for a player of troubas Ilk. What? does dubas have no faith in his roster?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yuck. That is all.

He need to hit jackpot today with his 20th pick, and this is huge for us in NY, or follow the team close! ;)
I already predict Rangers in playoffs next season I said it, and that is before possible UFA signings in July! :)

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Considering trouba forced the jets to only deal with one team, it seems like the jets only had one option for a trade partner. I'm looking at the 2019 deals for ufa players and it seems like the return they got was in line with what the top players went for the most part. My question is to the rangers though. If you're a rebuilding team, and theres a player with an expiring contract that really wants to play for you...why not just wait a year and get the player for free at free agency? People talking like Gorton is some kind of genius, hes the biggest moron in all of this.

1. NYR gave up little vs. Troubas value.

2. Gorton had NO certainty of Troubas intentions.

3. Now NYR can negotiate a long term deal in the driver's seat, with 1 RFA year of player control in the equation, instead of bidding verse multiple teams and a UFA Trouba whos agent now has all of the leverage and can drive up the price by a good margin.

Gorton is a what now?

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018

3. Now NYR can negotiate a long term deal in the driver's seat, with 1 RFA year of player control in the equation, instead of bidding verse multiple teams and a UFA Trouba whos agent now has all of the leverage and can drive up the price by a good margin.

Gorton is a what now?

1. Troubas value was shot in the foot when he said he wouldnt negotiate with any other teams about extensions. His mind was on the rangers, that's it. The rangers gave up a first and a young dman that may become a decent bottom pair dman. Sure that's not troubas full value if every team had a shot at him, but that's clearly not the case here. Winnipeg was forced to only negotiate with the rangers. So instead of waiting till the deadline and risk an injury they pulled the trigger now. The jets hands were tied by a player that didnt want to be there.

2. Trouba literally said he only wants to play for the rangers. This has been reported throughout this past season. If this info leaked to the public I'm quite certain gorton was aware of it as well. He knew trouba wanted to be a ranger.

3. As I said. Trouba just wants to be a ranger. This has been confirmed. he will look for a competitive contract but it is likely not his priority to hit a homerun as it was also made clear that his fiancee's career played a role too, and considering shes a doctor...money wouldnt be the end all be all for them.

4. Yes gorton is an idiot. He should have waited a year an just signed him without giving up assets. As troubas intent was clear.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Considering trouba forced the jets to only deal with one team, it seems like the jets only had one option for a trade partner. I'm looking at the 2019 deals for ufa players and it seems like the return they got was in line with what the top players went for the most part. My question is to the rangers though. If you're a rebuilding team, and theres a player with an expiring contract that really wants to play for you...why not just wait a year and get the player for free at free agency? People talking like Gorton is some kind of genius, hes the biggest moron in all of this.
Interesting perspective but never sleep on Overcharge his next step just may be to ride this through arbitration and then play this out to this time next season and all of a sudden start telling Gorton that his client has had a change of heart and is know open to other teams and is willing to go to free agency. Trouba may really want to be in New York but it doesn't mean he doesn't want to be paid like a Norris candidate he believes he is. Trouba has left a lot of money on the table to get to this point. Can't see him willing to take anything but a July 1st contract.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't see how a 25 year old player (if he does re-sign with the Rangers) cannot be part of a rebuild.

And as many others have said, there's a good chance the Rangers can get a decent return at the trade deadline if he chooses not to sign.

Seems like a decent risk to me.

That's a good trade for the Rangers. But Trouba is in his prime. So the whole rebuilding stuff seems to be over, you would think. It's not the most shocking thing, it's hard to do a real "starting from scratch" when you're in a big market.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
He need to hit jackpot today with his 20th pick, and this is huge for us in NY, or follow the team close! ;)
I already predict Rangers in playoffs next season I said it, and that is before possible UFA signings in July! :)
Rangers making the playoffs next year. Yep I'll have that boilermaker you just had. If you dont know it's scotch mixed with beer.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
1. Troubas value was shot in the foot when he said he wouldnt negotiate with any other teams about extensions. His mind was on the rangers, that's it. The rangers gave up a first and a young dman that may become a decent bottom pair dman. Sure that's not troubas full value if every team had a shot at him, but that's clearly not the case here. Winnipeg was forced to only negotiate with the rangers. So instead of waiting till the deadline and risk an injury they pulled the trigger now. The jets hands were tied by a player that didnt want to be there.

2. Trouba literally said he only wants to play for the rangers. This has been reported throughout this past season. If this info leaked to the public I'm quite certain gorton was aware of it as well. He knew trouba wanted to be a ranger.

3. As I said. Trouba just wants to be a ranger. This has been confirmed. he will look for a competitive contract but it is likely not his priority to hit a homerun as it was also made clear that his fiancee's career played a role too, and considering shes a doctor...money wouldnt be the end all be all for them.

4. Yes gorton is an idiot. He should have waited a year an just signed him without giving up assets. As troubas intent was clear.

If Trouba only wants to play here, team has the leverage. They should use it.
They really only gave up the 20th pick. A majority of people here would have given up Pionk for free, and he probably would have been beaten out of his spot anyway.
If Trouba doesn't want to sign a team friendly, reasonable deal, I have no qualms with hanging a for sale sign on him in January. I would be shocked if we don't get at least a pick better than 20 back in return. Gorton has been doing a tremendous job, and this is no exception.

Reactions: Kallio

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

So much wrong in this post

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Lol he ain't no torey krug. I actually think pionk would have have been better on the P.p.
The part that's getting lost here is that we have a bunch of guys who are supposed to be good PP guys in ADA, Fox, and Shattenkirk. What we need is some guys who aren't horrible in their own zone. Trouba doesn't have to be Brian Leetch on the PP. Just be steady, eat 24 minutes a game, and not handle the puck like its covered in a contagious disease when you get it.

Reactions: haveandare

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
It would be funny if after all this, the girlfriend doesn't get accepted in a NY residency and instead has to settle for California or Texas.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
It would be funny if after all this, the girlfriend doesn't get accepted in a NY residency and instead has to settle for California or Texas.

California/Texas are arguably harder locales to break into if you're not from that state or have went to medical school there. I'm not sure what the future Mrs Trouba is interested in but being from a DO school, she's going to be facing a very, very uphill battle to get a residency spot in the NY area. It's a very competitive area that attracts the best of the best MDs in most specialties and the reputable programs in NY don't dabble much in DOs as a result.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Gorton is a what now?

Remember, Trouba is still in the driver seat, dont offer what he wants, he will go right to UFA and try again -_-

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Touche. Lol.
And it's not like I'm ripping the jets. Just saying that trouba himself made it difficult for the jets to deal him for a while. Put them in a bad spot.
All good
Just teasing
I expect Trouba to sign and unfortunately for us he didn’t want to be here but he never complained publicly but people inferred a lot.
Hope he is everything you hope.
Steady player.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
California/Texas are arguably harder locales to break into if you're not from that state or have went to medical school there. I'm not sure what the future Mrs Trouba is interested in but being from a DO school, she's going to be facing a very, very uphill battle to get a residency spot in the NY area. It's a very competitive area that attracts the best of the best MDs in most specialties and the reputable programs in NY don't dabble much in DOs as a result.

Im pretty sure I read she already got her residency spot in NY

Again, just something i read. I have no idea how that stuff works haha

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Im pretty sure I read she already got her residency spot in NY

Again, just something i read. I have no idea how that stuff works haha

From her twitter, she started medical school in July 2017. So she won't graduate until 2021. Match Day is in May so they won't know where she will be doing residency until May 2021. The timing isn't too great for them since Trouba only has 1 more year of RFA (July 2019 to July 2020) so the only way to guarantee they would be in the same location would be for him to sign another a 2 year deal and await her residency placement. I imagine their plan was to go for a big city (i.e. NYC) to increase their chances of being together (more hospitals = more chances to match there) but as I said, NYC is notoriously difficult to get into in general, let alone as a DO.

Obviously Canada didn't work as she would need to do a US based residency to practice in the US.. so not wanting to commit long-term to Winnipeg was really the first component of all of this. Maybe he chooses to commit long-term to NYR and hopes his fiance can eventually join him rather than pass up millions to wait for the security of being together.

and that's all the internet stalking I will allow myself to do cause that's already borderline creepy lol

Reactions: bigdog16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad