• Indifferent

• Don't like it

• Hate it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
even if they win the lottery? (The Carolina pick)

As long as the Toronto pick falls into the top 10. The Rangers get a 1st from Carolina no matter what. Toronto’s pick is too 10 protected, so that it moves to next year if the Leafs end up top 10.

Reactions: Elliman

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can some helpful soul summarize what 1st we are getting?
We are getting the lower of the CAR/TOR 2020 1st round picks. In the event that the Top 10 protection triggers on the TOR pick (from a previous trade), we will get the CAR 2020 1st even if it's as high as 1OA.

We are getting a 2020 1st no matter what.

Reactions: The Sweetness

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
We are getting the lower of the CAR/TOR 2020 1st round picks. In the event that the Top 10 protection triggers on the TOR pick (from a previous trade), we will get the CAR 2020 1st even if it's as high as 1OA.

We are getting a 2020 1st no matter what.
Brilliant, thanks! Perfect summary.

It was a bit difficult navigating all the various scenarios being discussed above.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1st was offered for Ryan Reaves, Paul Gaustad and Barclay Goodrow. Fast is better than all 3 combined. I'm sure some desperate team would offer a 1st for Fast.
Just like there is no team in the entire NHL that would offer a 1st for Fast, there are no teams that would offer that for Reaves or Goodrow. Gaustaud went for picks but that was quite a while ago.

If anyone offered that for Fast, he would not be here.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Man, this fanbase is having unrealistically high expectations for this kid. Where did this obsession come from? I honestly don't get it. Let's see if Colorado can pick someone outside the top 10 who is able to make an impact first. I'm still not convinced. It's been 11 years since they drafted a decent player outside the top 10

Maybe I'm wrong but everything I've seen regarding this guy is that he's gonna project as a high-end second liner or solid first liner.

Obviously there is uncertainty regarding whether he achieves those levels but that's a great prospect to gamble on.

The issue also isn't whether Newhook is gonna be better than Kreider today when Newhook is 21 or 22, but rather where each player will be on their trajectory in 3 years. In 3 years Kreider will be 32 and he will likely be at the end of his time as a first liner and nearing the end of his time as a second liner. Meanwhile Newhook will be just beginning, and his upside (though not guaranteed) seems to be that maybe he's a 60 point player, not a 45-55 point player. But even if he is just a 45-55 point player, he'll just be starting the next ten years of his career doing that, at that point.

Or maybe Newhook doesn't get to that level -- but that's what a rebuild is all about. You are trading away guys who are aging and have value now for guys who you project to have value later.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
So... We want a Leafs & Caines meltdown.... then some luck with the lottery. Thank you.

We want Carolina and Toronto to miss the playoffs (and the Rangers, frankly, IMO, so that means we want the Panthers to overtake Toronto but Columbus and the Islanders to hold their wildcard spots). Toronto must either then backslide so dramatically in the last part of the season that they end up organically in the top 8, or, they must win the lottery. Either of these conditions cause their pick to reconvey to Toronto, meaning Carolina only has 1 first round pick this year, which then must be given to us.

We then also want Carolina and the Rangers to win the lottery, and therefore, we get two lottery picks.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's so crazy you can feel it happening.

There's something special going on with this org.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe I'm wrong but everything I've seen regarding this guy is that he's gonna project as a high-end second liner or solid first liner.

Obviously there is uncertainty regarding whether he achieves those levels but that's a great prospect to gamble on.

The issue also isn't whether Newhook is gonna be better than Kreider today when Newhook is 21 or 22, but rather where each player will be on their trajectory in 3 years. In 3 years Kreider will be 32 and he will likely be at the end of his time as a first liner and nearing the end of his time as a second liner. Meanwhile Newhook will be just beginning, and his upside (though not guaranteed) seems to be that maybe he's a 60 point player, not a 45-55 point player. But even if he is just a 45-55 point player, he'll just be starting the next ten years of his career doing that, at that point.

Or maybe Newhook doesn't get to that level -- but that's what a rebuild is all about. You are trading away guys who are aging and have value now for guys who you project to have value later.

Okay, I will rephrase.

Why can't Ranger fans stop talking about Newhook, but nobody ever talks about Zegras, Caufield, Krebs, Turcotte, Podkolzin etc? And don't say "Because those aren't available" because neither is Newhook.

What is it that has Rangers fans so engaged in conversation about Newhook?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad