• Don't like it

• Hate it

Results are only viewable after voting.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Seriously don't get why we don't put DeAngelo, next year, on the left of Trouba. Let DeAngelo rush and have Trouba cut people down who cross over the blue stripe, Dal Colle style.
Because Tony can’t match up with top lines or kill penalties. Did he even get one minute of PK time this year? (I’m too lazy to look it up)

Reactions: bleedblue94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It seems like he kinda did. Reports that he might have had one or two teams he was willing to sign with, which would have quite an impact on what teams would be willing to trade for him.

I'm sure he's happy with the Rangers. But the point is that there was no guarantee he would have re-signed at a lower cap hit as a pending UFA. That's just a foolish thing to bring up.

Reactions: Thirty One

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The Trouba contract obviously looks worse now with the cap staying flat and him having a tough year, but I follow the reasoning. Never did with the Skjei contract.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He is physical, but he can be more physical, but what I don't like is so many terrible defensive mistakes, just look at this for example:

here is another:

I totally get it. You’re right. He is a risk taker for sure and sometimes his judgment is poor. But unlike Skjei who makes way more bad choices than good, I think Trouba makes way more good plays and those plays are way more consequential.
I also think that with more experience playing with the Rangers he’ll probably learn to pick his spots a bit better.
He has probably been trying to make an impression and also been adjusting to the new system and teammates.
In fact, I’d expect him to be way better as soon as the upcoming play-in.

Reactions: Dijock94 and jas

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The Trouba contract obviously looks worse now with the cap staying flat and him having a tough year, but I follow the reasoning. Never did with the Skjei contract.

I have no problem with Trouba at all, overpaid by about a mill but he is the type of player you need in playoffs. Our biggest problem is we don't have someone better to play with him on the left side.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I have no problem with Trouba at all, overpaid by about a mill but he is the type of player you need in playoffs. Our biggest problem is we don't have someone better to play with him on the left side.

I agree, we seem to give forwards the benefit of the doubt as to who they play with, but defensemen never get that same leash. We may never see it with our timeline, but I'm sure if Trouba had a similar caliber player next to him most of us wouldn't be saying he had a bad year.

Personally I thought he was fine and allowed ADA and Fox to grow while he ate up the tougher assignments. Nothing wrong with a guy that can eat minutes.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I loved this trade because the Rangers badly needed to free up the cap space and Skjei was the most logical guy to move, and they got a 1st round pick on top of it, but you guys are too hard on him here. Yes, frustrating rather often, but he is still a 2nd pairing defender and $5M for that is not really an overpay.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Said it many times. Rangers fans are the worst picking on their defenseman. They have done it for over 10 years while continually giving the forwards pass after pass when they never scored, especially on the PP. This team is the first consistent offensive team we have had in a long time. The kind Hank never had in the playoffs.

Reactions: bl02

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Such a brilliant move by Gorton. He turned a potential cap nightmare into a possible generational talent. It may or may not pan out. If it does, it will blow the Gomez deal out of the water.

Are you referring to Lafreniere? Because there's no way we can get 1st overall with the pick we get from Carolina.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Such a brilliant move by Gorton. He turned a potential cap nightmare into a possible generational talent. It may or may not pan out. If it does, it will blow the Gomez deal out of the water.

as noted above, NYR only get 1stOA w NYR pick.

But in hard Cap era, choices need be made,
turning a prior 1st rounder into an 8-years-later future 1st rounder is very good pipeline management

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Agree. Skjei was OK. To me, he needs to be in a defense first system. Honestly, Torts would be good for him. He would have to learn to block shots and play defense or be on the bench a lot. However, with a very deep team already, we have to keep those first rounders coming. It's the only way to stay a deep team as players will continue to get paid. I don't think looking at JD's past drafts we will be seeing Russians taken in the first round any longer unless they are can't miss guys.

Reactions: NYRangers16

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
as noted above, NYR only get 1stOA w NYR pick.

But in hard Cap era, choices need be made,
turning a prior 1st rounder into an 8-years-later future 1st rounder is very good pipeline management

Edit: I see what you guys are saying. The Carolina pick isn't the possible #1 overall. That would come from our own. Thanks for the correction. At the time the trade was done, though, it could have possibly turned out that way. Gorton FTW.

On the rest, it is awesome pipeline management. I wish we had a LH version of Trouba to step in rather than 3 #1 RHD, but that will figure itself out I guess.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Explain this to me.

All of the scenarios have been explained a million times, but okay.

Carolina has 2 1st round picks, theirs and Toronto's, but they only get Toronto's if it is outside the top 10. Toronto's pick can only be inside the top 10 if they win 1st overall.

We get whichever of the two picks is worst. If Toronto wins 1st overall, we get Carolina's pick, which will likely be 14th overall at best. If Carolina wins 1st overall, we get Toronto's pick, which will likely be 14th overall at best.

Prior to phase 1 of the lottery, there was a scenario where we could have gotten the 1st overall pick with the pick we acquired from Carolina, but it required that at least 2 of the top 3 picks were won by place-holder teams, so that both Carolina and Toronto could win a top 3 pick and give one to us. That didn't happen. Now, our only chance at 1st overall is if we lose to Carolina in the play-in and then win phase 2 of the lottery.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...I wish we had a LH version of Trouba to step in rather than 3 #1 RHD, but that will figure itself out I guess.

Much reason for optimism re the left side, though, with Roberston, Rykov, Reunanen, Hajek, Miller, Zac Jones, ... in the queue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad