• Indifferent

• Don't like it

• Hate it

Results are only viewable after voting.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Okay, I will rephrase.

Why can't Ranger fans stop talking about Newhook, but nobody ever talks about Zegras, Caufield, Krebs, Turcotte, Podkolzin etc? And don't say "Because those aren't available" because neither is Newhook.

What is it that has Rangers fans so engaged in conversation about Newhook?
A lot of people wanted him
+ the Rangers were in talks to get the pick where he ended up being drafted
+ the Rangers were talking to the team that took him
smaller+ he’s a center

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The most likely scenario in my opinion is that at least one of Carolina or Toronto makes the playoffs, but neither advances to the conference finals.

Even if err on the worse side of how it could play out in this case, we would still be staring at something like 15+20.

That's a damn good starting point to make a move at the draft if we aren't happy with who could be on the board at that point.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The most likely scenario in my opinion is that at least one of Carolina or Toronto makes the playoffs, but neither advances to the conference finals.

Even if err on the worse side of how it could play out in this case, we would still be staring at something like 15+20.

That's a damn good starting point to make a move at the draft if we aren't happy with who could be on the board at that point.
How far up do you think packaging picks 20 + 31 together gets us?

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
How far up do you think packaging picks 20 + 31 together gets us?

I don't know enough about this draft to have a guess. I'd normally expect to get close to the 10th overall for that, but if this draft is deep right until 15, then we may only get up to 13th or 14th or so?

But it's three different scenarios, depending on where that 31st pick is coming from:

Rangers win the cup! f*** it, party until September and check to see who we picked at the draft in pre-season.

Carolina wins the cup! Maybe we can move up to grab "our guy" somewhere in the 11th-14th range.

Toronto wins the cup. Life has no meaning. The league folds.

Reactions: Thirty One

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't know enough about this draft to have a guess. I'd normally expect to get close to the 10th overall for that, but if this draft is deep right until 15, then we may only get up to 13th or 14th or so?

But it's three different scenarios, depending on where that 31st pick is coming from:

Rangers win the cup! f*ck it, party until September and check to see who we picked at the draft in pre-season.

Carolina wins the cup! Maybe we can move up to grab "our guy" somewhere in the 11th-14th range.

Toronto wins the cup. Life has no meaning. The league folds.
In this scenario, the Rangers are winning the Cup.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I imagine it would begin with Gorton shitting in 30 paper bags, lighting them on fire, and ringing 30 GMs' doorbells.

So in the aftermath, 20+31 may only get us the 19th overall, depending on how much of a grudge remains at the draft.
Didn’t deliver one to Seattle in advance, Gorton asleep at the wheel again

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Okay, I will rephrase.

Why can't Ranger fans stop talking about Newhook, but nobody ever talks about Zegras, Caufield, Krebs, Turcotte, Podkolzin etc? And don't say "Because those aren't available" because neither is Newhook.

What is it that has Rangers fans so engaged in conversation about Newhook?

Well, the Rangers were obviously engaged in trade talks regarding Kreider with the Avs and Newhook was an obvious "aim high" target.

But I constantly lament that we couldn't get Buch for 8th overall from Edmonton last year because Zegras would have been a Ranger.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I have a feeling this will be one of those....
We turned Gomez into McDonagh
We turned Brassard into Zibs
We turned Spooner into Strome
We turned Skjei into....

Reactions: bernmeister

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If that’s the case, I wonder if they make a deal for a depth d-man pretty soon. When Muzzin and Reilly come back the player added won’t play in the playoffs anyways.

Need to make the playoffs first.

They'll probably just try and ride Rosen for the time being unless they can get someone really cheap. Injuries are something Dubas can hide behind as an excuse if they miss the playoffs and there's no point in wasting more assets to try and guard against a pick they've already lost.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Hes not lying, it's just *his* truth

upload_2020-2-26_17-18-35.jpeg

Reactions: romba and nyrage

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Would you guys consider skjei a bottom pairing guy? How overpaid would you say he is?

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Would you guys consider skjei a bottom pairing guy? How overpaid would you say he is?

No. Low-mid 2nd pairing. Ceiling might be high end 2nd pairing with the right partner who can let him skate the puck up ice. That's his strength. He was overpaid from a rebuilding Rangers perspective with the need to sign players younger and/or better than Skjei, but he is not overpaid from a market perspective.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad