• Like it

• Indifferent

• Don't like it

• Hate it

Results are only viewable after voting.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I like it because it improves on where he was selected.

No guarantee that the player we get will be as good even if there are some that think he sucked.

We get significant cap flexibility and an earlier draft position

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Would you guys consider skjei a bottom pairing guy? How overpaid would you say he is?
I don’t like speaking in absolute. What I will say is the a Rangers gambled on Skjei when they gave him that contract. And that gamble failed. He has not progressed ronrhe point where he earns that contract.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t like speaking in absolute. What I will say is the a Rangers gambled on Skjei when they gave him that contract. And that gamble failed. He has not progressed ronrhe point where he earns that contract.

We talk about bad bridge deals all the time. Stepan is a perfect example. Gorton gambled to avoid another shitty bridge deal handcuffing us in the future and it didn't work. We still got a 1st rounder for him though. It's the right approach, for the wrong player

Reactions: UnSandvich

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Nashville especially has been very successful with this approach, with Josi for instance. Josi's contract was 6.22%, Skjei's was 6.6%

If we use this approach for the right players, we will be set up for half a decade. That's how you work with the cap

That's the key though, the right players. And we have to have the cap space to make it work. When Sather was running things, we never had the cap space to give out long term deals, though maybe that was by design. IIRC, the only player he didn't bridge was Staal.

I don't know if Gorton is going to hand out any long term deals this offseason, given the cap situation. The only one I could see getting a long term deal is ADA, but even if he does, I don't think he finishes that contract with the Rangers.

Maybe Kakko shows modest improvement next year and we re-sign him a year early to a long term deal, then he breaks out. That would be an ideal situation. Though I can't recall the last time we re-signed someone a year early.

Chytil is going into the final year of his ELC. Do we give him a long term deal? Gauthier and Howden still have to show a lot more before there's any chance of them getting a long term deal, but either one could do that next season. Say Gauthier ends up playing middle 6 next season and puts up 18 goals and 32 points. Do you bridge him or give him a longer term deal? We should have the cap space to make it work either way.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah I think the advantages and disadvantages of the bridge and the early long-term extension are pretty well understood. It's just a matter of determining the right guys to extend. If Skjei continued to make progress it would have been a very good deal; instead he stagnated and somewhat regressed which made the deal burdensome.

Reactions: Thirty One
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Nashville especially has been very successful with this approach, with Josi for instance. Josi's contract was 6.22%, Skjei's was 6.6%

If we use this approach for the right players, we will be set up for half a decade. That's how you work with the cap

I totally get the approach. It just seems to me that it’s one thing to hope a player’s skills continue to develop - it’s another to hope his hockey IQ/sense developes. Or his general engagement/interest.

Going back to your example of Stepan, there was little question about his hockey IQ.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Trouba at 8m AAV is not a problem. Skjei at 5.25m AAV is.

Trouba make almost as many defensive mistakes as Skjei, he is definitely worth less than 8 mil. It is ridiculous that they gave him so much if supposedly this is the only place he wanted to play in and was a RFA.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I love what Trouba brings. He makes the Rangers much tougher to play against. And I expect he’ll keep improving. Especially with a more appropriate D partner.

He is physical, but he can be more physical, but what I don't like is so many terrible defensive mistakes, just look at this for example:

here is another:

Reactions: EdJovanovski

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I see the months off have done well for Trouba.

He was garbage this season. I don’t see any indication that there’s any more room for growth there.

Is he better than Skjei? No doubt. I don’t think he’s 50% better though. We’re talking about a #3 dman (Trouba ain’t a top pairing defenseman on a competitive team) vs a #4 here.

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

It can work very well. It can also give you six years of Kyle Turris.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
It would help Trouba if he actually had a guy on the left side that wasn't old or was garbage. Second year in this system, I expect him to be better. I never wanted him but he can be useful. We are tiny on the right side with DeAngelo, Fox and eventually Lundkvist.

Last edited:

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Seriously don't get why we don't put DeAngelo, next year, on the left of Trouba. Let DeAngelo rush and have Trouba cut people down who cross over the blue stripe, Dal Colle style.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Trouba make almost as many defensive mistakes as Skjei, he is definitely worth less than 8 mil. It is ridiculous that they gave him so much if supposedly this is the only place he wanted to play in and was a RFA.

RFA with arbitration eligibility. That's a huge difference

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

the key to that statement is 'for the right players'. there have been countless debates on these boards about long term deals vs bridge deals, but neither of them are better without other factors. if you lock up the right guys long term you likely end up with a bargain. if you lock up the wrong guys long term you end up with a cap nightmare. the issue is having a front office smart enough to know the difference...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad