Speculation: Nylander XXI - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
Again... whatever the worst case scenario is for the Stinkin Leafies, is what I am hoping for.

1) Signed for too much ($7M/season over 6 years?)
2) Traded for less than value
3) Unsigned

Which is worst case scenario?

Oh boy, this is gonna trigger a lot of Leafs fans :laugh::popcorn:

I haven't been following the Nylander situation too closely, but I have to admit that I find myself checking into the situation more often recently with the deadline approaching. Look forward to seeing what happens.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Maybe it's been touched on, and if it has I apologize, but why wouldn't both sides agree to a 1 year deal at this point?

For Nylander, he gets back in the lineup, and with him added to the Leafs they could win the cup. That puts him in even better negotiating position next summer.

For the Leafs, they have 2 other big deals coming up next summer, so getting him back into the lineup lets them take a great run this year before those contracts hit.

I know it's not the outcome either side wants, but if it comes down to it, why not sign for 1 year?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
yeah i forget, 30 year old player suddenly arent able to skate anymore... i guess good luck with tavares for 5 years in 2 years?

You really can't see the difference in trading a 22 year old for a 30 year old and signing an older player via free agency?

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
If he gets 7m 6 years then the leafs are taking a massive L

Almost identical to Pastrnak's contract after adjusting for cap growth (slightly less). Depending on the structure the actual cap hit going forward will be somewhere between $6.7 and $7 million, making it even less than Pasta's. How exactly is that a massive L?

The absolute worst you can say is that it's on the higher end of market comps and maybe disappointing to people who were looking forward to Ehlers' contract. Although the Athletic did a piece a few days ago that put the market average at about $7 million (they actually calculated $7.3 million but I disagreed with their math) so it's hardly even on the higher end.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Maybe it's been touched on, and if it has I apologize, but why wouldn't both sides agree to a 1 year deal at this point?

1 year deal is not great for the team. It sets a floor for his qualifying offer going forward, gives him arbitration rights next year, and just kicks the can down the road.

Reactions: klabob

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So I know the signing deadline is 5pm tomorrow.

But what if he gets traded? Does the deadline change for the team acquiring him or is there a trading deadline thats before 5pm?

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Any time i have to watch a Canucks game?

Yup... I have a hard time too these past few years.

Sounds like you're more of an anti-fan of the Leafs then you are a fan of the Canucks. Pretty classic west coast obsession with Toronto.

Two loudmouth buddies from TO will make one go a little nutso... hard not to be anti-Leaf with all the press coverage, deserved or not.

I'm guessing your "worst case scenario" would be Nylander signing a decent contract.

It is now that I traded him in my dynasty league.

Oh boy, this is gonna trigger a lot of Leafs fans :laugh::popcorn:

I haven't been following the Nylander situation too closely, but I have to admit that I find myself checking into the situation more often recently with the deadline approaching. Look forward to seeing what happens.

Same...

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Provorov and I consider.
It 100% won't be Provorov, so you'll likely be very disappointed. It will probably be something like Myers and Frost, if it happens - two inexpensive, young players that the Leafs can cost control for a while.

The Leafs will take the best deal offered - if Myers and Frost are it, they will take it.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

But what if he gets traded? Does the deadline change for the team acquiring him or is there a trading deadline thats before 5pm?

Same deadline to sign him for the new team, which is why I don't think a trade will happen...not enough time to negotiate a deal with Nylander cam unless they're already deep into negotiations.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It 100% won't be Provorov, so you'll likely be very disappointed. It will probably be something like Myers and Frost, if it happens - two inexpensive, young players that the Leafs can cost control for a while.

The Leafs will take the best deal offered - if Myers and Frost are it, they will take it.

No they won't.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

With a disclaimer: Only if they like the deal. If they don't, he sits.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Deadline is for everyone.

RFAs must have a contract signed by tomorrow or they are not eligible to play this season

Reactions: klabob

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Same deadline to sign him for the new team, which is why I don't think a trade will happen...not enough time to negotiate a deal with Nylander cam unless they're already deep into negotiations.

Hmm, well Pagnotta tweeted this morning that there maybe a 1pm deadline for trade tomorrow. Giving the new team 4 hours to get a deal done.

So essentially, if Nylander isnt traded by 1pm tomorrow....he only option is to Sign or sit out

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Again... whatever the worst case scenario is for the Stinkin Leafies, is what I am hoping for.

1) Signed for too much ($7M/season over 6 years?)
2) Traded for less than value
3) Unsigned

Which is worst case scenario?

All those afternoon start times on HNIC have taken their toll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad