Speculation: Nylander XXI - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
It 100% won't be Provorov, so you'll likely be very disappointed. It will probably be something like Myers and Frost, if it happens - two inexpensive, young players that the Leafs can cost control for a while.

The Leafs will take the best deal offered - if Myers and Frost are it, they will take it.
I, too, like to sometimes portray what I hope will happen as being fact. Eventually fantasy land goes away though and you have to get back to reality

Reactions: Critical91

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Provorov would be another big contract coming up on the books. Leafs would be better off with Sanheim or Myers plus picks as ammo at the TDL

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
It 100% won't be Provorov, so you'll likely be very disappointed. It will probably be something like Myers and Frost, if it happens - two inexpensive, young players that the Leafs can cost control for a while.

The Leafs will take the best deal offered - if Myers and Frost are it, they will take it.

I will be disappointed if they did. The rumor they were discussing on Leafs Lunch was Ghost and even for him straight up, I'd let Nylander sit. A better deal would be available at the draft I believe.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Oh boy, this is gonna trigger a lot of Leafs fans :laugh::popcorn:

I haven't been following the Nylander situation too closely, but I have to admit that I find myself checking into the situation more often recently with the deadline approaching. Look forward to seeing what happens.

Actually his post isn't triggering at all. It's actually quite refreshing to see someone be honest. The reality is a large portion of the non-Leaf fans following this are following it for the exact reasons he mentions but pretending to do it under a veil. With each passing day of stars lining up for the Leafs it bothers non-Leaf fans more and more as it gets tougher and tougher to find something to cling to to try and keep Leaf Nation down or find a way to still kick. Any glimmer of something negative is basically Christmas for many. Me, I have mad respect for honest people, so his post isn't triggering at all.

Mar 26, 2010

The Leafs don’t have to take anything. They hold all the chips here. It is quite simple, Nylander can watch the rest of the season from his couch in Sweden.

Then trade him on the draft floor.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
With a disclaimer: Only if they like the deal. If they don't, he sits.

Ok, and the Leafs wouldn't be interested in Morgan Frost, who is scoring as much as Nylander was at the same level - cash-controlled and cheap? Plus a 6-5, 200 pound RH defenseman who can skate and create offense like Myers? For a kid who is still sitting on November 30th?

Using logic, don't you think if some team was offering a stud, established defensemen with a reasonable cap hit, the deal would have been done by now? Dubas would have jumped on that kind of offer, but those players are rarely available.

Reactions: klabob
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Hmm, well Pagnotta tweeted this morning that there maybe a 1pm deadline for trade tomorrow. Giving the new team 4 hours to get a deal done.

So essentially, if Nylander isnt traded by 1pm tomorrow....he only option is to Sign or sit out

Sorry I'm not really sure what your saying.

There is no official deadline for trading him.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ok, and the Leafs wouldn't be interested in Morgan Frost, who is scoring as much as Nylander was at the same level - cash-controlled and cheap? Plus a 6-5, 200 pound RH defenseman who can skate and create offense like Myers? For a kid who is still sitting on November 30th?
Beats me.

Mar 26, 2010
Ya that's not going to happen. Toronto doesn't hold the cards. If he doesn't sign, they are going lose him one way or another. No team is paying the premium at the final 24 hours
Sure, but the Leafs don’t have to trade him. The assumption that Toronto has to move him is absurd. They are arguably the deepest team in the NHL. There is no rush to trade him.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Actually his post isn't triggering at all. It's actually quite refreshing to see someone be honest. The reality is a large portion of the non-Leaf fans following this are following it for the exact reasons he mentions but pretending to do it under a veil. With each passing day of stars lining up for the Leafs it bothers non-Leaf fans more and more as it gets tougher and tougher to find something to cling to to try and keep Leaf Nation down or find a way to still kick. Any glimmer of something negative is basically Christmas for many. Me, I have mad respect for honest people, so his post isn't triggering at all.
I just want to see a fun player play.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Leafs don’t have to take anything. They hold all the chips here. It is quite simple, Nylander can watch the rest of the season from his couch in Sweden.

You're out to lunch. This is all blowhard nonsense. Sure, the Leafs could cut off their noses to spite their face... and that accomplishes WHAT exactly? They win a game of chicken and Nylander sits home? Yay, big victory. Meanwhile the Leafs are without a young, 60 point scorer or another asset in his place. Not to mention, the message it sends to the team and young players like Matthews and Marner - "sign for what we want to pay you or we'll let you sit and rot at home." Lol, great business.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
My stance on worst case to best scenario for Leafs.

1. Dubas panics and trades Nylander for scraps.

2. Dubas panics and signs Nylander to long term deal w an AAV of anything close to 7 mil. Nylander isnt worth that.

3. Nylander sits out. Diminishing asset w. No contract. Days as a Leaf is done 100% if he sits.

4. Bridge Deal

5. Long term deal under 6.5mil AAV

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Almost identical to Pastrnak's contract after adjusting for cap growth (slightly less). Depending on the structure the actual cap hit going forward will be somewhere between $6.7 and $7 million, making it even less than Pasta's. How exactly is that a massive L?

The absolute worst you can say is that it's on the higher end of market comps and maybe disappointing to people who were looking forward to Ehlers' contract. Although the Athletic did a piece a few days ago that put the market average at about $7 million (they actually calculated $7.3 million but I disagreed with their math) so it's hardly even on the higher end.

Yeah saying $7 M is a massive loss is basically not understanding cap inflation. Pastrnak's deal (which most consider hugely under value) would be $7.1 M under today's cap. Yes, Nylander hasn't produced at Pt/GP yet like Pastrnak but if Pastrnak is grossly underpaid for that production and Nylander comes in at less than Pastrnak's equivalent contract, even if Nylander becomes a 70 PT forward, $7M would probably be under value. Personally still hoping for what I said from the beginning, which was $6.75.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
You're out to lunch. This is all blowhard nonsense. Sure, the Leafs could cut off their noses to spite their face... and that accomplishes WHAT exactly? They win a game of chicken and Nylander sits home? Yay, big victory. Meanwhile the Leafs are without a young, 60 point scorer or another asset in his place. Not to mention, the message it sends to the team and young players like Matthews and Marner - "sign for what we want to pay you or we'll let you sit and rot at home." Lol, great business.

Speaking of LOL great business. A business the scale of MLSE will have a much more long term perspective than what you're suggesting.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

The danger of that is if they don't move him this season and get bounced quickly in the playoffs ... Ouch.

I agree they should not make a bad deal before the trade deadline just to get something for him, but a deal that helps them make a run for the Cup this year that is *close* to fair? I don't see how they can refuse.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005

No, they won't.

He isn't going anywhere unless it's a deal Dubas likes.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Sure, but the Leafs don’t have to trade him. The assumption that Toronto has to move him is absurd. They are arguably the deepest team in the NHL. There is no rush to trade him.

They don't have to trade him. No but if something doesn't happen can you actually sit here and say the Nylander/Toronto relation won't be ruined? Is he going to just show up next year with a smile. No. The relationship will be gone. Just like what happened with Druin in Tampa. There is no salvaging a sour relationship when it comes to player vs management/organization. Regardless the reasons.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Prediction: HF thinks that whatever deal Nylander signs is the worst deal in the history of the sport.

That is a good reminder to Leaf fans to "buckle up".

If he signs with TOR it will be scrutinized forever.

Not for the faint of heart whatever happens.

Don't take it to heart Leaf Fans.

Reactions: Critical91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: