Speculation: Nylander XXI - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Again... whatever the worst case scenario is for the Stinkin Leafies, is what I am hoping for.

1) Signed for too much ($7M/season over 6 years?)
2) Traded for less than value
3) Unsigned

Which is worst case scenario?

How is 7M over 6 years too much? That's basically the Pasta contract with inflation and with the cap savings it's like 6.6 AAV. No he is not Pasta but just because one player has a good deal doesn't mean that is the value and we see that all the time with guys making more than MacKinnon or Scheif and before that Tavares.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You're out to lunch. This is all blowhard nonsense. Sure, the Leafs could cut off their noses to spite their face... and that accomplishes WHAT exactly? They win a game of chicken and Nylander sits home? Yay, big victory. Meanwhile the Leafs are without a young, 60 point scorer or another asset in his place. Not to mention, the message it sends to the team and young players like Matthews and Marner - "sign for what we want to pay you or we'll let you sit and rot at home." Lol, great business.

.....or they end up like Tampa, who waited until the offseason, with an asset they want, like Sergachev.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
How is 7M over 6 years too much? That's basically the Pasta contract with inflation and with the cap savings it's like 6.6 AAV. No he is not Pasta but just because one player has a good deal doesn't mean that is the value and we see that all the time with guys making more than MacKinnon or Scheif and before that Tavares.

That was my question there... what is too much salary at this point?

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
You're out to lunch. This is all blowhard nonsense. Sure, the Leafs could cut off their noses to spite their face... and that accomplishes WHAT exactly? They win a game of chicken and Nylander sits home? Yay, big victory. Meanwhile the Leafs are without a young, 60 point scorer or another asset in his place. Not to mention, the message it sends to the team and young players like Matthews and Marner - "sign for what we want to pay you or we'll let you sit and rot at home." Lol, great business.

They're doing pretty good without him, last I checked.

What a message it sends to them team if you trade him for pennies on the dollar.

"Hold out, and we'll trade you at the last minute, even if we get bent over."

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
The danger of that is if they don't move him this season and get bounced quickly in the playoffs ... Ouch.

I agree they should not make a bad deal before the trade deadline just to get something for him, but a deal that helps them make a run for the Cup this year that is *close* to fair? I don't see how they can refuse.
Not only if they get bounced quickly, just if they get bounced off at all. Obviously a guy like Nylander (or what he'd be traded for) would be tremendous help. It would always be a "what if".

Mar 26, 2010
So Toronto is obliged to trade Nylander for garbage to make all the Leaf haters on here happy. That is blowhard delusional thinking. It is so funny too see all the Toronto haters on here praying for a Hall for Larsson type of armed robbery for Nylander.

It is not going to happen. The offers on here for Nylander are f***ing comical. :laugh: . Save it...it is not going to happen.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I haven't had a chance to go through this thread, but what's the latest news from a credible source predicting what's going to happen? Is a deal expected to get done?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I haven't had a chance to go through this thread, but what's the latest news from a credible source predicting what's going to happen? Is a deal expected to get done?

Credible is an iffy word, but a Redditer who broke the Leafs signing Ennis said they have a verbal agreement for 6 years at 7 AAV and that this is almost over. However, the same poster also claimed JT was being named captain which didn't happen.. So not sure about their reliability. Other users claim this user was giving updates in PM up to 24 hours before the media reported them too (I.E the 300K apart stuff)

Still interesting news though.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
not a lot from credible sources beyond "there's a range of possible outcomes and we don't know which it will be"

There's a redditor that broke the Tyler Ennis signing early that said today that there's a verbal agreement for 6 years at $7M per (which puts Nylanders cap hit for years 2-6 in the $6.7M range) and that the saga will be over soon. There's another redditor who's friend sent him a pic of the MLSE private plane on the runway at Pearson heading somewhere (the pic was included in the post)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Credible is an iffy word, but a Redditer who broke the Leafs signing Ennis said they have a verbal agreement for 6 years at 7 AAV and that this is almost over. However, the same poster also claimed JT was being named captain which didn't happen.. So not sure about their reliability.

Still interesting news though.
That wouldn't be great. I am going to choose not to believe a random redditor about us signing Nylander to an ehhh deal.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Ok, and the Leafs wouldn't be interested in Morgan Frost, who is scoring as much as Nylander was at the same level - cash-controlled and cheap? Plus a 6-5, 200 pound RH defenseman who can skate and create offense like Myers? For a kid who is still sitting on November 30th?

Using logic, don't you think if some team was offering a stud, established defensemen with a reasonable cap hit, the deal would have been done by now? Dubas would have jumped on that kind of offer, but those players are rarely available.

I don't think it's a commentary on Frost or Myers, Toronto would probably just much rather have roster players, considering the state of the franchise.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
By this argument he should take the league min over nothing...
No that's you creating an argument that no one ever made.

Your statement is true if we talk about similar amounts, but for a rich kid 15 mils in hand tomorrow is definitely worth more than 10 mils in hand today...

How are we arriving at a $5 M difference?

As for the last comment, about taking cash upfront, it is completely irrelevant to the discussion.... Again, I never said that this is how they will write the contract, I only evaluated the actual value of each year.... If the average of six numbers is 6.67, it doesn't mean that each number is equal to 6.67...

When we are talking about foregoing an entire season, we very much are talking foregoing cash up front.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

Best we've got lately is a Redditor who broke the Ennis signing claiming a verbal agreement is done. He was getting blown up on twitter so he deleted his account for the safety of his source. Obviously that raises some questions but nothing in his history suggested he was a troll.

Other than that not much news. We heard earlier this week that they're withing ~$300k and that the preference is still to sign him long term.

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
Sounds like you're more of an anti-fan of the Leafs then you are a fan of the Canucks. Pretty classic west coast obsession with Toronto.
Well, to be fair, when it is driven down your throat on every sports channel 24/7 and you grew up being forced to watch them every saturday night regardless of who was playing, you can start to sense some of our plight. :)

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
7 mil? Not too bad tbh. Could use an extra year or two on the contract if that is what its going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad