Speculation: Nylander XXI - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
7m AAV would actually be like ~6.7m in years 2 through 6. That's very reasonable.
Depending on how the signing bonus plays out. I agree 6.7 long term is alright but at surface level without actually knowing the details of a contract 7 million wouldn't be a good result to this.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
If 7 is an overpay what were you guys expecting him to sign for?

A lot of people had their hearts set on Ehlers deal without realizing how cheap that deal actually is. Ehlers is pretty much the absolute floor in that group of comparable contracts.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Less then 7. 6.6-6.7 is kind of what my personally upper limit would be for being alright with the deal.
I just assumed with inflation and contracts around the league anything under 7 was a pipe dream unless like a 3 or 4 year deal. Anything longer term he would need more $$$.

7 seems reasonable to me, might be painful for a year or two but then two years from now when forwards are signing 9-12 suddenly its a deal.

Then again the team is doing good without him so maybe its better to spend the cap somewhere else but if that was the case you think he would have been traded by now.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
7 years 7.25m book it...

Fyi this is about the 10th time I have said book it.

A lot of people had their hearts set on Ehlers deal without realizing how cheap that deal actually is. Ehlers is pretty much the absolute floor in that group of comparable contracts.

It was much more soothing to pick the "floor" (the way you have defined the floor). Was it realistic - another question entirely.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002

Somewhere is the range of Ehlers/Pasta. I think 6.6-7.0 is the fair number.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
I want him to be traded just so we can have another bunch of crazy threads about it. Is x worth Y. Will he play center or wing on his new team. etc etc etc.

If he signs thats it. BORING

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Depending on how the signing bonus plays out. I agree 6.7 long term is alright but at surface level without actually knowing the details of a contract 7 million wouldn't be a good result to this.

$7 million is almost exactly equivalent to Pastrnak's deal, which was a good deal at the time (it's an absolute steal now, but that's after the fact).

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
They're already preparing for it, calling 7m x 6 a big L for Toronto.
While I wouldn't call it a big loss. I would say that the optics of Nylander getting a $7m x 6 contract would make this contract negotiation a loss for the Leafs.
Even though unless the 1st year of the contract is significantly weighted to signing bonus Nylander will have lost approx 1/3 of his salary and the Leafs will potentially gain a favorable cap hit in years 2-6. It will still be viewed as the Leafs caving at the last minute as they did not get the team friendly AAV that can be used with Marner and Matthews as a negotiation point. They will have given Nylander a contract with an AAV at the upper limit of his market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad