LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024 Draft)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Oh I know the Ducks aren't going LD. I'm curious what the Ducks will do if Levshunov goes at 2, they don't need another left shot D or left shot forward.
That is the 64k question. I think they should take Demidov but with PV as GM I'm pretty sure they won't. Silayev is the next logical pick even though he is left-handed. He just has the unique size and skillset that is missing on the Ducks and plays the right side in the KHL. I pretty sure whoever they take at 3OA will have a last name that ends in a "v".

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I agree. The tools might not be elite, but I like his decision making. You want all hockey players to have it, but to me, it's a must in a good Dman.

Yeah, the decision making is the part of Buium's game that's 100% elite. He is head and shoulders above a lot of good Dmen in how he sees the ice and that transferred into many metrics...guys scored more when he was on the ice thus he was top the team at +34, +/- doesn't always match up but it absolutely followed the eye test here.

Some folks think he's just like another offensive Dman because they looked at his stats. But that's like comparing a 60 point opportunist scoring winger to a 60 point selke type center, it's silly.

IMO Demidov & Buium both have a lot going for them already.

Demidov is heavy on his skates. Even though some things he does in the young adult league are often not possible in the NHL...being a bull on your skates is something that helps your game in spades in the NHL. But I do think Demidov will need pro seasoning before becoming a big factor in the league, like Kucherov.

And Buium's thing that makes him a great pick is his hockey IQ. He tilts the ice when he's on it and that's in a league of older/stronger players where he's draft eligible. If he can have a similar impact in the NHL he changes your team's offensive push plus posession game 25-30 minutes a night.

Those are two big things that make prospects middling players to non-factors in the NHL. They just can't play a low mistake high IQ game at speed or they're just not strong enough on their
skates/puck to create time & space.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What about Keith Yandle for a comp?
As a Yotes fan, when I think of Yandle, I think more of a north south kind of speed and skill. Really great breakouts and stretch passes and good speed through the neutral zone. I also think of a fairly poor defensive player who wasn’t terribly engaged defensively on any given shift.

I think Zeev is much more like Fox. Just not as good. Stylistically, I think there the best comp I’ve seen. The head fakes, and shimmy shakes, the dangles and broken ankles. And more of a legit two way element. Like Fox. I think Zeev isn’t at Fox’s level but I also think he’s stronger and better on the corners. That’s not enough to make up for the difference. But I think no comp is perfect.

I’d be extremely tempted to take Buium 2nd and I wouldn’t take him later than 3rd.

rt

May 13, 2004
Seems like we should be comping guys like buium more to shattenkirk and Barrie and grezclyk and other good players that aren’t immortals, as that seems like far more likely result.

Except he doesn’t really play hockey like those guys. He LOOKS more like Fox out there than Barrie or Gryzelcyk. Is he going to be a perennial Norris candidate like Fox? Probably not. But he plays in a similar fashion.

I guess it comes down to what you mean by “comp”. Are you looking for a stylistic comparison? Absolute upside? Or just plain ole career points? I always assume people are asking for stylistic comparisons but maybe they’re not. Maybe they’re asking for their fantasy league and just want to know how many goals and assists he’s going to get. I don’t know?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As a Yotes fan, when I think of Yandle, I think more of a north south kind of speed and skill. Really great breakouts and stretch passes and good speed through the neutral zone. I also think of a fairly poor defensive player who wasn’t terribly engaged defensively on any given shift.

I think Zeev is much more like Fox. Just not as good. Stylistically, I think there the best comp I’ve seen. The head fakes, and shimmy shakes, the dangles and broken ankles. And more of a legit two way element. Like Fox. I think Zeev isn’t at Fox’s level but I also think he’s stronger and better on the corners. That’s not enough to make up for the difference. But I think no comp is perfect.

I’d be extremely tempted to take Buium 2nd and I wouldn’t take him later than 3rd.
Yeah, I don't see him as anywhere near Fox. Fox is one of the smartest players in the NHL. He's legitimately very good offensively and defensively. I don't see this elite two-way game from Buium. I feel he's more of an above-average offensive player and an okay defensive player. I also think saying they are similar stylistically is a little bit of a misnomer. Like sure, they are both crafty. I think Zac Jones (who is currently the Rangers 7D) is Fox-lite in how he moves the puck, but that's like saying "insert random 6'1 lefty center with some speed and skill" is McDavid-lite because he's a 6'1 lefty center too. It's just not really the same because the degree of that one trait you are looking at is so drastic. I've watched both a lot and my mind just never came to Fox for Buium.

Yandle at his best was probably a top 32 defenseman in the league. Probably could be called a 1D, although not one of the better ones. I just don't see Buium ending up like one of the few best defensemen in the NHL, which is what Fox is. The reason I compare him to Yandle is that I see him as a crafty playmaker with okay size and okay, not terrible, defense. Could probably play PK2 for you because he isn't a train wreck defensively without being good defensively either, but he's there more for his puck-moving ability and ability to put up points. Similar size too. I agree Yandle might have better straight ahead speed. Not as good on his edges. I think both are similarly more playmakers than shooters. I struggle for a great Buium comparison. It's tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

rt

May 13, 2004
…. I don't see this elite two-way game from Buium. I feel he's more of an above-average offensive player and an okay defensive player. I also think saying they are similar stylistically is a little bit of a misnomer. Like sure, they are both crafty. I think Zac Jones (who is currently the Rangers 7D) is Fox-lite in how he moves the puck, but
I disagree with most of that.
that's like saying "insert random 6'1 lefty center with some speed and skill" is McDavid-lite because he's a 6'1 lefty center too. It's just not really the same because the degree of that one trait you are looking at is so drastic
I don’t think it’s like that at all.
. I've watched both a lot and my mind just never came to Fox for Buium.
I’ve watched both a lot too and my mind regularly goes to Fox for Buium. In the way they play and how they look on the ice. I think Buium’s game is very reminiscent of Fox’s game.
Yandle at his best was probably a top 32 defenseman in the league. Probably could be called a 1D, although not one of the better ones.
Okay so again, this isn’t about how they play so much as their peak value?
I just don't see Buium ending up like one of the few best defensemen in the NHL, which is what Fox is.
I agree. And yet I think Fox is the closest stylistic comp out there.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I disagree with most of that.

I don’t think it’s like that at all.

I’ve watched both a lot too and my mind regularly goes to Fox for Buium. In the way they play and how they look on the ice. I think Buium’s game is very reminiscent of Fox’s game.

Okay so again, this isn’t about how they play so much as their peak value?

I agree. And yet I think Fox is the closest stylistic comp out there.

If anything Buium's skating is much better than Fox's. I don't really think of Fox when I watch Buium, but I can't think of a better stylistic comp. Who else is so defined by their decision making?

I agree with you that Yandle doesn't quite fit - Yandle was faster but much more mistake prone. That's the trouble with evaluating D, the tools aren't as important as their processing ability.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Quinn Hughes is a good comp stylistically. He may not reach the same ceiling but to me they play similar games.. Use their skating , deceptiveness and IQ . I think they defend similarly as well.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Big believer in drafting athleticism/tools but it’s so hard for me to watch Buium, Silayev, Levshunov and Parekh and not think Buium is on a different level. Time will tell however.

Reactions: Jabba11 and ello

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Are we talking about comparing Buium to Fox as he is now, or as he was in his draft year? Two very different things. Comparing him to Fox as he is now is unfair and inaccurate, as it leaves out years of development and maturity.

All we are talking about is playing style, right? Not how good they are right off the hump at similar stages in their careers? Because if it's the latter, Buium is far and away a better prospect.

I like Buium, a lot. His IQ, vision, puck skills all stick out. Skating is good, but not at the same level as a guy like Drysdale in his draft year. Like almost all prospects have Celebrini, and maybe Demidov, he has his flaws;

- mediocre size for a dman. Looks strong on his skates, but it's hard to tell if that will carry on to the pros. I would not call him robust of above average physically. Everyone of the top 6 D except Parkh are more imposing physically.

- Defense isn't bad, but also isn't a strength. Just sort of there. We are not seeing a young Ryan Suter or Jonas Brodin, here. Dickinson and Silayev are better defenders...I can't make up my mind about about Yakemchuk ... both he and Levshunov have more potential to be better defenders, IMO.

Buium is one of the many guys in this draft that I love if i look at him in one viewing, then change my mind about him the next day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patty Ice

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Are we talking about comparing Buium to Fox as he is now, or as he was in his draft year? Two very different things. Comparing him to Fox as he is now is unfair and inaccurate, as it leaves out years of development and maturity.

All we are talking about is playing style, right? Not how good they are right off the hump at similar stages in their careers? Because if it's the latter, Buium is far and away a better prospect.

I like Buium, a lot. His IQ, vision, puck skills all stick out. Skating is good, but not at the same level as a guy like Drysdale in his draft year. Like almost all prospects have Celebrini, and maybe Demidov, he has his flaws;

- mediocre size for a dman. Looks strong on his skates, but it's hard to tell if that will carry on to the pros. I would not call him robust of above average physically. Everyone of the top 6 D except Parkh are more imposing physically.

- Defense isn't bad, but also isn't a strength. Just sort of there. We are not seeing a young Ryan Suter or Jonas Brodin, here. Dickinson and Silayev are better defenders...I can't make up my mind about about Yakemchuk ... both he and Levshunov have more potential to be better defenders, IMO.

Buium is one of the many guys in this draft that I love if i look at him in one viewing, then change my mind about him the next day.
I think this is a fair take. I think his lack of athleticism and robustness, coupled with his size, if the the sub 6'1 takes are true, may keep him around average at the defensive end. He is not a powerful dude. His straight line speed is not particularly impressive. It is his hockey sense, passing , and edges that make him worthy of being a high pick.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Quinn Hughes is a good comp stylistically. He may not reach the same ceiling but to me they play similar games.. Use their skating , deceptiveness and IQ . I think they defend similarly as well.

Buium's D game got to a very solid level in the NCAA tourney, we never saw that from Quinn Hughes. It really wasn't until the last few years that Quinn Hughes' D game is something other than poor.

And I think Hughes has much better skating mechanics. You could say Buium's deceptiveness and IQ is what makes his skating good. It depends how you divide up the categories.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Hate to use loud words in terms of comparisons. But this guy really reminds me Duncan Keith. Obviously it’s gonna be hard for Buium to win 3 Stanley Cups and Conn Smyth Trophy. But he has all the tools (except 6’4/230 - Keith’s case too) to be a key for building champion’s defense.

But even if we talk about medium or worst case scenario, comparison with Dewon Toews makes the sense

Reactions: 57special

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you feel Buium is comparable to Keith or Fox or any of these guys that end up 1st, 2nd, 3rd in a redraft of their draft, you should be having Buium 1st, 2nd, 3rd on your draft board.

Go look back at the 2006-2008 drafts or something like that and tell me how many players picked from 6-10 won Norris trophies.

If Buium is your guy, none of us should tell you not to think that. You might end up right, but if Buium is 8th on your draft board, it probably doesn’t help discourse to be comparing him to these players who are the types of players that should be reserved for someone picked 1st or 2nd or 3rd. The “he plays similar, but is a lot worse” is a conversation ender, and not thought provoking at all.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I think this guy will be the best dman of this draft in 3-4 years. He's got everything teams look for in that modern number 1 boderline "positionless" dman. I'm a big fan

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Keith comparisons for smart D with non-elite tools is the new Bergeron comparison for two-way forwards.

I watched the vast majority of Keith's NHL career.

The way Buium plays in his zone & the neutral zone certainly draws some comparison to early prime (2008-2011) Keith in terms of style. Also, so does how the Pioneers play hockey, one goes with the other. But Buium has that thing where he executes his efficient defensive moves such that he already knows where he's moving the puck before he gets it on his stick. He does it so well it looks casual.

I remember some Blackhawks fans, even in 2010, thinking Keith wasn't that good in his own zone because he didn't just pin guys to the wall on every play.

To this day there's still people who think being "great defensively" means just that...getting physical every shift.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Waaaay too early to tell. Puts up number like Hughes in college and you’re already putting a cap on his prime numbers?

You may have noticed that scoring for offensive defensemen is up big time at every level in recent years.

Hutson, Buium and Casey put up better numbers at the same age than Makar, Hughes and Werenski, doesn't mean they have as much offensive upide as those guys.

And of course you need to look at the skillset. Hughes is one of the best skaters in the entire NHL and that's what has allowed him to develop into a superstar. Buium is not in the same tier as a skater.

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
You may have noticed that scoring for offensive defensemen is up big time at every level in recent years.

Hutson, Buium and Casey put up better numbers at the same age than Makar, Hughes and Werenski, doesn't mean they have as much offensive upide as those guys.

And of course you need to look at the skillset. Hughes is one of the best skaters in the entire NHL and that's what has allowed him to develop into a superstar. Buium is not in the same tier as a skater.

Hughes was faster at straight line speed on open ice than Buium at draft time.

But his defensive acumen/awareness was nowhere near as good as Buium's at the same age IMO. A lot of Hawk fans were hoping Hughes would fall to us.

It'll be interesting to hear where players are at the combine. IMO, for Buium to reach his ceiling down the road elite conditioning is key. He does not have the tool set or size/stride to get to greatness on average conditioning.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad