Speculation: Nylander XXI - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Isn't it less about pride and more about being in control of his own destiny? If he signs a bridge, he has a looming lockout to be concerned about, a new CBA that will be in effect for his next negotiation (that could be more restrictive), and no real protections against being dealt somewhere he has no desire to play. I don't see how a bridge protects him from these things. My opinion is that he knows he is no more than a bargaining chip at this point (trade bait) and is playing the only card he has (hold out).
There is no situation where Nylander has trade protection during his RFA years other than Dubas' word, which apparently has been given. Holding out doesn't change that, it just losing him money.

Reactions: Mork

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
Been saying it since early October that I had a feeling the leafs would wait until Dec 1st to get the most cap savings possible all while still giving nylander fair value

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I am a Detroit fan and I can tell you we wouldn't offer more, we couldn't offer more, we have no cap space unless you want to take back some ugly contracts.

Circumstances may prevent a team from being able to offer value for Nylander like the above. But any team in the league capable of making an offer is going to offer significantly more then a 30 year old middle pairing Dman with just 2 years left on his deal.

That's like the Avs offering Erik Johnson for Nylander. And Johnson has more value then a guy like Petry. It's a poor offer that easily gets beat.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Again... whatever the worst case scenario is for the Stinkin Leafies, is what I am hoping for.

1) Signed for too much ($7M/season over 6 years?)
2) Traded for less than value
3) Unsigned

Which is worst case scenario?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Been saying it since early October that I had a feeling the leafs would wait until Dec 1st to get the most cap savings possible all while still giving nylander fair value
These statements are mutually exclusive. Any cap savings the Leafs get are because Nylander is losing money by not signing earlier. The cap savings are because Nylander is payed less dollars (divided by years of the deal).

The Leafs could have signed a deal Oct 1 that would give Nylander the same amount of dollars and the Leafs the same cap hit as they would get as one signed tomorrow.

Reactions: Dustin and klabob

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Again... whatever the worst case scenario is for the Stinkin Leafies, is what I am hoping for.

3) Unsigned

Sounds like you're more of an anti-fan of the Leafs then you are a fan of the Canucks. Pretty classic west coast obsession with Toronto.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
Circumstances may prevent a team from being able to offer value for Nylander like the above. But any team in the league capable of making an offer is going to offer significantly more then a 30 year old middle pairing Dman with just 2 years left on his deal.

That's like the Avs offering Erik Johnson for Nylander. And Johnson has more value then a guy like Petry. It's a poor offer that easily gets beat.

The statement was 30 other teams in the NHL would make a better offer which is just not true. Not defending his offer, just stating the statement is inaccurate.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002

3) Unsigned

I'm guessing your "worst case scenario" would be Nylander signing a decent contract.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
These statements are mutually exclusive. Any cap savings the Leafs get are because Nylander is losing money by not signing earlier. The cap savings are because Nylander is payed less dollars (divided by years of the deal).

The Leafs could have signed a deal Oct 1 that would give Nylander the same amount of dollars and the Leafs the same cap hit as they would get as one signed tomorrow.

Cap savings is the misleading term that everyone gets hung up on.

Reactions: Nizdizzle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia