Speculation: Nylander XXI - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
So we think Dubas will cave yes?

The Leafs have such a good shot at the cup this year. One they might not have next year when Marner and Matthews sign their deals. Because right now they have two players worth double digit cap hits on ELCs.

Better to sign Nylander, take your best shot at the cup, then deal with the consequences later.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

The Leafs have such a good shot at the cup this year. One they might not have next year when Marner and Matthews sign their deals. Because right now they have two players worth double digit cap hits on ELCs.

Better to sign Nylander, take your best shot at the cup, then deal with the consequences later.

Dealing with the consequences later is how you turn into the Oilers.

I doubt very much that the Leafs are a guaranteed cup winner with or without Nylander so "caving" seems more reactive than proactive.

Jun 15, 2007
Dealing with the consequences later is how you turn into the Oilers.

I doubt very much that the Leafs are a guaranteed cup winner with or without Nylander so "caving" seems more reactive than proactive.
It's not like signing Nylander for 300k more than he is worth makes the contract an albatross or something.

Sign him, make your run at the cup, then trade him if you need the cap space.

And obviously no one is guaranteed a cup. But seeing how good this team is without Nylander, I think they're the favourites with.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Assuming Nylander's goal here is to render himself untradeable and get paid...what does a maximum-escalating backloaded 5-6y deal at even $6M AAV look like? I'd think that would be relatively untradeable.

I know there's a maximum year-to-year increase/decrease and a maximum increase/decrease over life of the contract...but that kind of math is beyond my grasp.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

I think this is what many non-Leaf fans want to see.
Sign Nylander to an inflated deal and deal with the problem afterwards.
I think Leafs management sees it differently though. He either signs a deal that management is comfortable with or he sits out the year. It would suck to not have him in the lineup but the Leafs are looking to compete for years. This season cannot be the only season considered in any contract.
You gotta believe that Nylander sees this by now. The Leafs have been top 3 in the NHL without him. Heck, they have been top 3 without him and Matthews. He has to know that he lost all leverage as the season went on. The ball is in his court now. I cant imagine the Leafs offer will change between now and Saturday.
It sucks it came to this but it is what it is.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
It's not like signing Nylander for 300k more than he is worth makes the contract an albatross or something.

Sign him, make your run at the cup, then trade him if you need the cap space.

And obviously no one is guaranteed a cup. But seeing how good this team is without Nylander, I think they're the favourites with.

I think it's in the best interest to have Nylander on the Leafs long term. Trading him away especially after signing him for more than you were willing to will affect his trade value and again I'm pretty sure the Leafs are more interested in keeping Nylander for as long as they can.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
It's a real standoff.

Hard to believe Leafs will just let him sit out the year without signing him or at worst trading him, and hard to believe he'd want to just sit either. But it's getting late...

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
not gonna lie, i am completely indifferent...sign him, trade him, sit him....whatever...just keep winning.
It's kind of funny. Had the Leafs come out slow this story would have been huge but since the Leafs have been winning and really carrying on with business as usual it's really put Nylander's leverage into perspective.

Just imagine how much more crap we'd have to listen to if the situation was different.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Hard to see WN staying more than just this year even if he does sign - still it would be awesome to see the whole team together and what they can do, given their results with a incomplete roster so far.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Hard to see WN staying more than just this year even if he does sign - still it would be awesome to see the whole team together and what they can do, given their results with a incomplete roster so far.

I don't know about that. The reality is right now we're still in the middle of a negotiation that has gone on way to long. Once both parties agree and Nylander starts playing opinions will change once again.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
The Leafs look so good right now. Anyone who suggests they are not a legitimate Cup contender simply aren't paying attention. They have an elite forward group and excellent goaltending. Their depth and quality on D is lacking compared to those other areas. They need to either sign Nylander to even further improve the forward group (and trade him down the road if necessary to accommodate the cap) or they need to trade him for an asset or assets that will help them win over the next couple of years (Pesce, Tanev, Manson, etc). It would be irresponsible for the Leafs to let that kind of asset sit in a year where they are so well positioned to win the Cup. Matthews and Marner will get paid regardless of how "tough" the Leafs are on Nylander. Leaf management owes it to their fans to use that asset this year. I would be stunned if he sits out the year. There is too much to lose for both sides in this.

Reactions: klabob

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

This would collaborate what Friedman said yesterday.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman shared his opinion on the matter during an appearance on Tim and Sid.

“The one thing I do believe, no matter what happens, is that this will be William Nylander’s final season as a Toronto Maple Leaf,” Friedman said. “Whether he signs or whether he doesn’t sign, this is going to be it. And even if he does sign, I think Toronto trades him by the draft at the latest.

“One way or the other, I think this is over. I would be surprised if he plays for Toronto next season.”

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The Leafs look so good right now. Anyone who suggests they are not a legitimate Cup contender simply aren't paying attention. They have an elite forward group and excellent goaltending. Their depth and quality on D is lacking compared to those other areas. They need to either sign Nylander to even further improve the forward group (and trade him down the road if necessary to accommodate the cap) or they need to trade him for an asset or assets that will help them win over the next couple of years (Pesce, Tanev, Manson, etc). It would be irresponsible for the Leafs to let that kind of asset sit in a year where they are so well positioned to win the Cup. Matthews and Marner will get paid regardless of how "tough" the Leafs are on Nylander. Leaf management owes it to their fans to use that asset this year. I would be stunned if he sits out the year. There is too much to lose for both sides in this.

Non-Leafs fan here. I think they're a top 3 favorite for sure. With Nylander, I think they're number 1, even with a shaky defense.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman shared his opinion on the matter during an appearance on Tim and Sid.

“The one thing I do believe, no matter what happens, is that this will be William Nylander’s final season as a Toronto Maple Leaf,” Friedman said. “Whether he signs or whether he doesn’t sign, this is going to be it. And even if he does sign, I think Toronto trades him by the draft at the latest.

“One way or the other, I think this is over. I would be surprised if he plays for Toronto next season.”
Oh this is without question. Fans hate him too. He has no place here.

Reactions: viper0220

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Friedman said that was his opinion.

This is crunch time, the Leafs are bluffing. Doubt they trade him right now if they can’t agree to a deal. A trade at the draft makes more sense. Hastily trading Nylander for whatever you can get right now isn’t smart.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
this has probably been covered in previous iterations of this thread but....... how do arbitration rights work if he does sit the year? He didn't file for arb this year correct? so does he still have that right for next year since the player and team can only file once?

edit - he wasnt arb eligible this year... my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad