Nylander is getting too much hate, but the love might be returning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
"160 games" with Matthews as his center. Willy scored all of 20 goals per. Nice numbers if you are Brendan Gallagher playing with Tomas Plekanec as your center.
What kind of sense does it make to use goal totals to judge a playmaker? Do assists not exist anymore?Also is 20 goals really a number that's supposed to make him look bad?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why? Pastrnak is a player who has outplayed his contract by a huge margin. That's like holding a 6 million player to Scheifele or MacKinnon standard. You really hope for it to happen, but if you set that as a standard then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

We're back to judging playmakers by goals scored, I see.
I shouldn’t expect Nylander to exceed his contract?
Hasn’t the narrative here for the last 6 months been that Nylander is a closer comparable to Pastrnak than Ehlers?
Isn’t the level of cap rising from 75 mil to 79 mil on Pastrnak 6.6 to Nylander 6.9 equivalent?

Now I’ll conceed that playing on the 3rd line cannot equal the 1st line. Which means we have a problem with either the coach or GM.

So your highest paid winger should be playing with either Matthews/Tavares and I should be expecting offensive production on a 65-70 point level to meet that. That’s my expectations. 80 points + to exceed. At this point, we don’t even have the 60 point pace which is cause for concern and deserving of criticism.

Reactions: dsred and rumman

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I shouldn’t expect Nylander to exceed his contract?
Hasn’t the narrative here for the last 6 months been that Nylander is a closer comparable to Pastrnak than Ehlers?
Isn’t the level of cap rising from 75 mil to 79 mil on Pastrnak 6.6 to Nylander 6.9 equivalent?

Now I’ll conceed that playing on the 3rd line cannot equal the 1st line. Which means we have a problem with either the coach or GM.

So your highest paid winger should be playing with either Matthews/Tavares and I should be expecting offensive production on a 65-70 point level to meet that. That’s my expectations. 80 points + to exceed. At this point, we don’t even have the 60 point pace which is cause for concern and deserving of criticism.
To be fair a large contingent here felt the Pasta comparable was inflated. It looks laughable now. Ehlers was better.

Willie is good player, with elite moments. He's worth 6 mil tops, and that's with the assumption he plays with Matthews. That isn't a slight, but for some reason it's taken as such.

Reactions: dsred

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Nylander paces for less than 20 goals and 60 points next year I think you will have a strong case.

However Leafs would be foolish to sell so low on Nylander by moving him before he gets a full season. Even if he plays well you can still trade him and get a better return.

Just bad asset management to consider trading Nylander as this point.
two sides to that coin, if god forbid he sucks next year no ones trading for him.

Reactions: socko

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
What kind of sense does it make to use goal totals to judge a playmaker? Do assists not exist anymore?Also is 20 goals really a number that's supposed to make him look bad?
What kind of absolute bullshit is this?

It was NYLANDER fans saying he should get the Pastrnak contract. When we pointed out that Pastrnak had 34 f***ing goals his contract year, compared to 20 for Nylander, we were told GOALS DON'T f***ING MATTER!!! It's all about p/gp.

But NOW Matthews goal totals are being flautned as to why he should get a big contract.

You get all that? When a LEAF player doesn't have a lot of goals "goals don't matter."

When a LEAF player does have a lot of goals, "goals are everything".

It's BULLSHIT!!! It's f***ING BULLSHIT!!!

Reactions: dsred

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Dubas has a disadvantage because he believed in a mantra of taking time to sign players. He should have locked Matthew's and Marner at the first sign that Nylander was being difficult. That means Matthew's at 11 for 8 and Marner at 8.5 for 8.
So if anybody ever cites teams like Tampa getting their players for cheaper due to taxes, those people are wrong? Or do they have a valid point?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What kind of absolute bull**** is this?

It was NYLANDER fans saying he should get the Pastrnak contract. When we pointed out that Pastrnak had 34 ****ing goals his contract year, compared to 20 for Nylander, we were told GOALS DON'T ****ING MATTER!!! It's all about p/gp.

But NOW Matthews goal totals are being flautned as to why he should get a big contract.

You get all that? When a LEAF player doesn't have a lot of goals "goals don't matter."

When a LEAF player does have a lot of goals, "goals are everything".

It's BULL****!!! It's ****ING BULL****!!!

"mocking, not complaining"

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
two sides to that coin, if god forbid he sucks next year no ones trading for him.
the Nylander group is so confident that this could never happen. Of course, if you go look at their predictions for Nylander for this year, you see that they have been wrong before.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
the Nylander group is so confident that this could never happen. Of course, if you go look at their predictions for Nylander for this year, you see that they have been wrong before.
that whole group have been wrong all along, he's played 1 really good game this year, how they can justify sayings "any game now, hell break out" is beyond me. For whatever reason the kid isn't firing on all cylinders, and thus far his signing looks like a massive mistake.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
that whole group have been wrong all along, he's played 1 really good game this year, how they can justify sayings "any game now, hell break out" is beyond me. For whatever reason the kid isn't firing on all cylinders, and thus far his signing looks like a massive mistake.
well he's starting off with no heart and no balls, not a great place to start.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At the end of the day, I just hope Nylander starts scoring and putting up points. He should be one of the better players on this team on most nights.

Exactly and why he has not been makes me think he wants out (hence playing like he is disinterested as Matthias said) or his game is truly messed up. Personally I am trying to remain patient but I just don't see enough compete/urgency in his game.

Reactions: rumman

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
They have a point. The problem is that trying to fix such things can make things worse.
Well, if they have a point, and teams like Tampa can just pay all of their players less money, I'd say that's a HUGE f***ING DISADVANTAGE for the leafs. An unacceptable disadvantage.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Tampa is not the only teams with the tax advantage. It does seem like their players are taking more friendly deals or maybe just that their players can always exceed their contracts.
We can all point to Hedman getting a good deal but when he signed his deal, he really hasn’t broken out to be a true #1 yet.
Kuch signed for 9.5mil but beside Kane, he is the highest paid winger and I think only 6 players at that time got paid more than him and only JT signed in the same period as him.
Stamkos signed his deal after another leg injury and coming off his worst pts/game season along with all the stuff like he is no longer the 50 goals scorer and should be a winger instead of C...

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't think 9.5 was a discount at all. It may seem like it now, but the cap went up 5 million.
Stamkos was, but Yzerman was really tough with that negotiation to the point STamkos was open to leaving.

Reilly is a better deal than anyone on Tampa's roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad