Nylander is getting too much hate, but the love might be returning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Willy is awesome, and will be fine.

It's too late for leafs fans, though, who have now ostracized him permanently.

Unfortunately for them, Dubas is smart, and they're going to have to deal with having Willy on their team for a very long time.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I agree with the OP. I think the hate is too much right now. The entire team is playing like crap. we were winning without his contributions in the early part of the season, so if it was just him sucking I think we'd still be winning. There is more going on that just him struggling.

As long as he is up to speed by the playoffs (assuming we make it), I will be happy. He has another 6 seasons to show his worth so my panic level for Willie specifically is low. I am more concerned about the struggling players who have been here from the start of the season.

Reactions: The Cobra

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm going to say...no he isn't getting too much hate.

He's a highly paid offensive player who has 4 points in 20 games. That's going to lead to criticism. Especially when the reason he came into the season cold was because he was holding out for a contract. He isn't coming back from injury where there might be some empathy for a slow start.

And besides that isn't much of an excuse after 20 games. If someone like Weber can miss the entire start of the season and still put up 16 points in 26 games after coming back at the end of November, I'd hope a forward like Nylander could get his game going a bit faster. His play is on him. It's fine to cheer for anyone on the roster. But a guy taking criticism for under-performing is perfectly fine.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I don't understand all the hate about Nylander. Yes, he isn't producing as much as he is capable of, but he did come into the season cold, while everybody is in mid season form. I also believe he is playing well. The chances are there, he's just not capitalizing on his opportunities.

What do you guys think?
When he was missing camp I said it would be a down season.
When he started missing games I said it would be a lost/miserable season.
It is what it is.
Long term, this is just a hiccup.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I agree with the OP. I think the hate is too much right now. The entire team is playing like crap. we were winning without his contributions in the early part of the season, so if it was just him sucking I think we'd still be winning. There is more going on that just him struggling.

As long as he is up to speed by the playoffs (assuming we make it), I will be happy. He has another 6 seasons to show his worth so my panic level for Willie specifically is low. I am more concerned about the struggling players who have been here from the start of the season.
Early in the season Babs kept saying they weren't working hard enough and eventually it would catch up to them.
It is catching up to them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Willy is awesome, and will be fine.

It's too late for leafs fans, though, who have now ostracized him permanently.

Unfortunately for them, Dubas is smart, and they're going to have to deal with having Willy on their team for a very long time.

Next time you write a post implying Leaf fans are idiots, you might want to keep in mind that you're a Leaf fan yourself.

Nylander hasn't exactly set the world on fire this season and he's certainly earned some criticism.

As far as him being permanently ostracized, that's just wrong. If he starts earning his pay I can guarantee you that most Leaf fans will once again be happy with him. Let's hope it starts happening soon.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He is getting the right amount of flak for:

holding out
Being out of shape
Floating around the ice
Getting 4 points in 20 games

Nobody is denying his skill level, but his lack of professionalism by dogging it while he was holding out and subsequently when he came back is reason for scrutiny.

Hopefully he wakes up and makes us eat crow

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
people have decided to dislike him personally for wanting to earn a fair salary in his eyes, and they will never forgive him. they're probably thrilled he isn't producing, as it gives them an excuse to bash him. he's an excellent young player who loves it here, and his teammates love him. he'll get it going soon

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I like Willy as a player and wouldn't actively boo him or anything but he brought all of this onto himself.

If you want to hold out for a big money contract you better show up and deliver on your end of the bargain.

Right now the Leafs are seeing the worst of both worlds, AAV higher than Pasta and completely uninspired play. Not a recipe to endear yourself to fans.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There is too much hate. There is also fair criticism. The haters are just about as relevant as the people saying he's playing well.

He's had good periods, he's completely disappeared in others. He's showed some tenacity at times, others he's lost focus and looked disinterested. His underlying numbers suggest he could have a few more points, but given the production is so so bad, even that correction hardly something to brag about.

Nylander is too good to not produce long term, that doesn't mean he will be "elite", very much an open question. At present, he's a skilled winger that needs support to succeed, a complimentary piece. It's up to him to become more and justify a contract which was a huge victory for his side.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Willy screwed up and he knows it and he is upset at himself that he did. One good thing about him experiencing the missing of training camp is that he will be sure that Marner and Matthews don't. But there is no doubt that he will get out of this funk, he is a proven producer during last 2 NHL seasons and AHL before that and before that had proven himself good enough to get picked 8th overall.

BTW, there is much more hate on FB (usually Leafs Feed) about Willy than I see here on HF

RLF

May 5, 2014
There is too much hate. There is also fair criticism. The haters are just about as relevant as the people saying he's playing well.

He's had good periods, he's completely disappeared in others. He's showed some tenacity at times, others he's lost focus and looked disinterested. His underlying numbers suggest he could have a few more points, but given the production is so so bad, even that correction hardly something to brag about.

Nylander is too good to not produce long term, that doesn't mean he will be "elite", very much an open question. At present, he's a skilled winger that needs support to succeed, a complimentary piece. It's up to him to become more and justify a contract which was a huge victory for his side.

This is a very fair look at things. Hate is used too easily on these boards and I have read very little actual hate. He is not getting boo'd every time he touches the puck either. He is not the only player in the NHL that you can hand pick stats and say he is playing well but not producing in order to defend a player.

This is truly a two sided coin.

Reactions: DarkKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad