Nylander is getting too much hate, but the love might be returning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
My dad and I can usually have some pretty good Leafs talk, but he keeps calling him ME-lander and how greedy he is and not even that good and lately I have nothing to reply.

Reactions: rumman

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander is snake bitten. If you watched the game on Saturday night it wasn't because of lack of effort, he had 3 quality scoring chances and only one from the outside. He is just not having any luck right now. But its not because of lack of effort. If he keeps getting 2-3 quality scoring chances a game they will start going in.

My prediction is he pots 2 tonight against Anahiem.

If Nylander is not scoring he needs to be doing other things right, such as winning puck battles along the boards as Matthias said. Doubt Matthias said Nylander looked disinterested because of the effort Willie put in Saturday. If he played a little more like Kappy many would be down on him because of his slump. My problem with Willie is that he looks disinterested. He has been a little more engaged with each game but not enough to my liking. I keep hearing Babs saying that if you keep on working, results will come. Well results have not come, which says Willie is not working hard enough game in and game out and that is what I am seeing.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willy has been playing very well past 4-5 games
Willy is not getting traded so get over it
Folks you need to get over his contract stance and negotiation
You need to get over his lack of preparedness when he did come back
Yes we all agree it was all bad but we all need to turn the page here and move forward
It is the Leafs money and they have many more hundreds of millions in reserve

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
My dad and I can usually have some pretty good Leafs talk, but he keeps calling him ME-lander and how greedy he is and not even that good and lately I have nothing to reply.
Wonder what ppl will call Matthews and Marner next year if they struggle after signing contracts a lot bigger than Nylanders

RLF

May 5, 2014
I never said he's going to finish with 11% on the season either. I do think there will be a point that his shots/tips will connect for goals. He's really due. He has generated so many chances whether he was with Matthews, Tavares or Kadri but things aren't going in, whether for assists or goals. Like I said before, the last game he whiffed on a one timer where last year he probably doesn't... whether that's bad luck or just some confidence problem, I don't know. All I know is that he's generating and a 2.5% shooting percentage isn't going to stay at that number... if it does, he's probably going to be a 50% shooter next year or something.

Kuznetsov has 1 goal in his last 25? games. He was a 27 goal scorer last season and had 12 in the playoffs. Just to give you a fresh example that sometimes, you really struggle for a stretch. Pretty sure Crosby has had 20 game goalless droughts at one point in his career.

I know players struggle, even the best at times. I was just saying he has never gone this long before. He won't be a 50% shooter or even close next season if he continues to fall flat this season, it doesn't work that way either. More likely 14-18% even if he has a great season. All I said was that you have to admit that 1 in 23 is unknown territory for him. Which it is.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What has been a great surprise is the play of Marleau past 2 games
The week and a half off really helped him out
He looks like Marleau of last season again
If I was Babs I would give him 2 more weeklong rests before season ends with last 1 coming a week before playoffs maybe he plays last game of season for timing purposes

Reactions: Notsince67

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wonder what ppl will call Matthews and Marner next year if they struggle after signing contracts a lot bigger than Nylanders
The bigger the slice of pie the greater the expectations.

What do you expect from the following?
Matthews at 11-12 million?
Marner at 9 or 10?
Nylander at 7?
JT at 11?

There is a level of expectation among them.
Just as Nylander currently has far, far greater expectations than what a Kapanen is doing.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Nylander is snake bitten. If you watched the game on Saturday night it wasn't because of lack of effort, he had 3 quality scoring chances and only one from the outside. He is just not having any luck right now. But its not because of lack of effort. If he keeps getting 2-3 quality scoring chances a game they will start going in.

My prediction is he pots 2 tonight against Anahiem.
Bad luck? He whiffed on 2 of those 3 scoring chances. How can you call that bad luck?

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yes we all agree it was all bad but we all need to turn the page here and move forward

So who cares that he's overpaid at a time the leafs are already in cap hell?
Who cares that he was out of shape when he returned?
Who cares that the team has dropped from 2nd overall to 7th since he returned?
Who cares that he's on pace for 3-4 goals over 82?
Who cares about all that, because he's "trying"?
Wow.

There were some fans like you even during the darkest of Burke days.
"Who cares that we finished 2nd last without our first round pick. Can't you see the boys are trying?"

It's too much.
IT'S TOO MUCH!!!!

RLF

May 5, 2014
The bigger the slice of pie the greater the expectations.

What do you expect from the following?
Matthews at 11-12 million?
Marner at 9 or 10?
Nylander at 7?
JT at 11?

There is a level of expectation among them.
Just as Nylander currently has far, far greater expectations than what a Kapanen is doing.

That seems reasonable.
Loui Eriksson makes $6M and has 21pts in 52 games and it is considered horrible production per dollar. The guy has multiple 60 and 70+ pt seasons in the past. Expectations are put on per contract all the time. Doesn't matter what he did in the past.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What is your point in staying upset about things you can't control? We all need to get over it. The Leafs don't care. They have such a massive bank account that a mil here or there means nothing. I know it is hard to understand for most of us but honestly it would be like you or I losing your wallet and $400 cash gets lost. Yes it upsets you for a day or two but you get over it and move on. It does not change your life.
even if Matty and Marner get a mil more each then they should again no biggie.

What you are focusing on is the CAP. Which i get. Yes it affects mid range players. But Tampa has the exact same issue right now. We are not alone. Winnipeg too.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What is your point in staying upset about things you can't control? We all need to get over it. The Leafs don't care. They have such a massive bank account that a mil here or there means nothing. I know it is hard to understand for most of us but honestly it would be like you or I losing your wallet and $400 cash gets lost. Yes it upsets you for a day or two but you get over it and move on. It does not change your life.

What you are focusing on is the CAP. Which i get. Yes it affects mid range players. But Tampa has the exact same issue right now. We are not alone. Winnipeg too.

IMO if he signs the same deal without holding out, fans would have more patience for him. Add the poor start to the holdout and voila, here we are.

P.S. Not so sure the Leafs do not care.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

I think you are wrong. I cant see him staying at $7mil/season.

RLF

May 5, 2014
IMO if he signs the same deal without holding out, fans would have more patience for him. Add the poor start to the holdout and voila, here we are.

P.S. Not so sure the Leafs do not care.

I agree. If reports are true and the Leafs were willing to do $6-$6.5 per, which is fair value and at the upper end per production, and Will wanted $8+, which is well above per production...then Willy is saying he thinks he is better and can produce at that rate. The settle at $7 is still top end production expected for that kind of money. Willy basically promised he can produce for high end numbers for that dollar. It's on him to do so. I think the Leafs care.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

So what eh? A million here, a million there.....whoops, now we can't sign a guy like Johnsson or Kappanen. Another million frivolously given away? Uh, oh, there goes Gardiner.

Here's something you need to accept. There IS a salary CAP and it's not going away, as much as you and the other NHLPA types wish it to be so.

Reactions: rumman and MyBudJT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->