Nylander is getting too much hate, but the love might be returning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's not bad luck though.
His shot sucks.
He's changed.

NOT random bad luck.

NOT.

Very easy to see his shot sucks.

Yeah, okay. Uh huh.

Make sure to come back and let me know when you've eaten enough crow when the pucks start going in.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So according to you. Nylander is A OK. His stats are just down because of "Randomness" ?

Players go through tough stretches all the time. It's a very unusual situation for a player to be in. The first few games he struggled badly but he's been pretty good lately and his prime scoring chances aren't going in. The game against the Penguins he had 2 glorious chances in tight and they were stopped... an inch to the left/right or perhaps some dumb luck they they both go in... But sure, he changed and he sucks now. Come on.

It's important to recognize that he will NOT be a 2.5% shooter for a long period of time. This isn't about randomness, this is what hockey always has been. You go through a hot stretch, score on every shot you take. Sometimes, you won't score for 10+ games and you can't score on any chance you get. I really don't undestand why I have to explain this to what I assume is someone that has watched hockey for more than a dozen games.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
"Wait til 20 games"
"Wait til 30 games"
"Wait til 40 games"
"Wait til 50 games"
"Wait til 60 games"
"Wait til 70 games"
"Wait til 80 games"
"Wait til next year"
"Everything is fine in Nylanderville"

The kid is rattled. And cant seem to get out of it. I cant see him turning it around this year, at best.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
"Wait til 20 games"
"Wait til 30 games"
"Wait til 40 games"
"Wait til 50 games"
"Wait til 60 games"
"Wait til 70 games"
"Wait til 80 games"
"Wait til next year"

The kid is rattled. And cant seem to get out of it. I cant see him turning it around this year, at best.

Good thing he's signed to 5 more years. Glad we won't have to panic trade him just because he's going through what many players go through in this league. I'm sure you'll do your best to chase him out of town though.

Welcome to watching hockey young man.

Reactions: stopclickbait

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Players go through tough stretches all the time.
This is different. Something happened before this stretch. His holdout. It clearly really impacted him. This isn't a stretch. This was an event that impacted the player.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is different. Something happened before this stretch. His holdout. It clearly really impacted him. This isn't a stretch. This was an event that impacted the player.

Of course it's different. He had a period of games where he was basically in pre-season mode and trying to catch up. He's been doing very well for over 10-15 games now, despite not scoring. He's been generating shots, generatinghigh scoring chances and he's still doing all the little things that makes him good. He hasn't been perfect and certainly has had tough shifts/moments like any other player. He whiffed on the puck a couple times last game where usually it's a damn good shot for him.

You're allowed to play well and still struggle to find goals, you know. It's almost like it's your first time watching this team and hockey in general... it's weird.

When he starts scoring and putting up points, you can think of me.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Good thing he's signed to 5 more years. Glad we won't have to panic trade him just because he's going through what many players go through in this league.
I'm not selling low on the guy. I'm highly critical of his holdout. Team Melander is responsible for this crap show. He's elite in his holdouts, not his game.
I'm sure you'll do your best to chase him out of town though.
He's the author of his ticket out of here.
Trade bait on a trade bait contract.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm not selling low on the guy. I'm highly critical of his holdout. Team Melander is responsible for this crap show. He's elite in his holdouts, not his game.

He's the author of his ticket out of here.
Trade bait on a trade bait contract.
The way his contract is structured he'll be gone after July 1st unless he has a turnaround of epic proportions.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Players go through tough stretches all the time. It's a very unusual situation for a player to be in. The first few games he struggled badly but he's been pretty good lately and his prime scoring chances aren't going in. The game against the Penguins he had 2 glorious chances in tight and they were stopped... an inch to the left/right or perhaps some dumb luck they they both go in... But sure, he changed and he sucks now. Come on.

It's important to recognize that he will NOT be a 2.5% shooter for a long period of time. This isn't about randomness, this is what hockey always has been. You go through a hot stretch, score on every shot you take. Sometimes, you won't score for 10+ games and you can't score on any chance you get. I really don't undestand why I have to explain this to what I assume is someone that has watched hockey for more than a dozen games.

His 2.5% is unsustainable. That said, I also doubt he gets back to 11% this season. He usually has 1 or 2 stretches a season of 8-10 games he doesn't score. I think you would agree that 1 in 23 is unchartered territory though. Maybe it's confidence. Only Willy knows. As you said, he has had numerous chances.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
It's fascinating that the "23 games means he's a bust" crowd is trying to make fun of others for being unreasonable.
He's a perimeter 20 goal playing with Matthews guy on a 30+ goal contract. I'm including his whole NHL career.

I want him to do well. But one goal ? at his AAV ? I guess he never was a scoring machine. But his funk is next level. And it was self induced. Congrats Willy. You got your money. In pure ass hole fashion.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
The way his contract is structured he'll be gone after July 1st unless he has a turnaround of epic proportions.
I dont want to sell low. If he sucks we need to keep him. I'm waiting to sell high. But I think that never comes and I wait his whole contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
His 2.5% is unsustainable. That said, I also doubt he gets back to 11% this season. He usually has 1 or 2 stretches a season of 8-10 games he doesn't score. I think you would agree that 1 in 23 is unchartered territory though. Maybe it's confidence. Only Willy knows. As you said, he has had numerous chances.

I never said he's going to finish with 11% on the season either. I do think there will be a point that his shots/tips will connect for goals. He's really due. He has generated so many chances whether he was with Matthews, Tavares or Kadri but things aren't going in, whether for assists or goals. Like I said before, the last game he whiffed on a one timer where last year he probably doesn't... whether that's bad luck or just some confidence problem, I don't know. All I know is that he's generating and a 2.5% shooting percentage isn't going to stay at that number... if it does, he's probably going to be a 50% shooter next year or something.

Kuznetsov has 1 goal in his last 25? games. He was a 27 goal scorer last season and had 12 in the playoffs. Just to give you a fresh example that sometimes, you really struggle for a stretch. Pretty sure Crosby has had 20 game goalless droughts at one point in his career.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

It would be interesting to map out where Nylander's shots are taken from. I thought he had an above average shot in the past but now if he is not shooting from in close, it could explain why he is not scoring. Mitch was not scoring last year until he started going to the net.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Nylander is snake bitten. If you watched the game on Saturday night it wasn't because of lack of effort, he had 3 quality scoring chances and only one from the outside. He is just not having any luck right now. But its not because of lack of effort. If he keeps getting 2-3 quality scoring chances a game they will start going in.

My prediction is he pots 2 tonight against Anahiem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->