OT: Non-Kraken Local Sports (Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, etc.)

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Although they had to win 14 of their final 15 regular season games to squeak into the playoffs (seems very 1995).

It was a fun year to follow the team here - I ended up at Game Four of the World Series because a Red Sox fan talked me into going.
One could argue the Padres are also the NL Mariners. They just happen to be competitive at the moment so we’ve forgotten

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
How sad is it that any discussion about being a garbage MLB teams is to be the Mariners of whatever. In all of sports, it’s like Mariners, Clippers, Browns, Leafs. The Mariners are the MLB team that’s thr example. If the Kraken weren’t winning 6-0 right now I might be depressed.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Every game makes me nervous...they've all been pretty close wins. Doing just enough to win every time, but Oregon's wins have been more convincing. Penix has seemed 'off' more often lately, as well.

Would love to see Washington get that playoff berth, but won't be totally surprised if the ducks beat them.
I can't tell if Penix is playing hurt or if it's just the pressure of going undefeated. Wish 2 Pac12 teams could make the playoffs if Oregon does win next week but I can't see it unless other results massively went their way.

Seahawks are depressing right now and have a brutal schedule ahead. The Geno Smith experiment was fun while it lasted but time to draft a QB.

Sounders did better than expected but i'm looking forward to the rebuild and some new forwards.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can't tell if Penix is playing hurt or if it's just the pressure of going undefeated. Wish 2 Pac12 teams could make the playoffs if Oregon does win next week but I can't see it unless other results massively went their way.

Seahawks are depressing right now and have a brutal schedule ahead. The Geno Smith experiment was fun while it lasted but time to draft a QB.

Sounders did better than expected but i'm looking forward to the rebuild and some new forwards.
If Michigan and Georgia win their championship games, they are in. FSU, with Travis hurt, not sure the committee would want an unproven QB in the playoff. That might be a ratings nightmare.
UW/Ore winner gets in. Then, say Oregon wins, and UW is a 1 loss team, like OSU. Committee more likely to take the bigger OSU brand over UW if that is the case.

Geno isn't playing well. Not protecting the ball. For someone from the McVay tree, I don't see the same type of easy completions for 7-10 yards out of the Hawks. Plus, the run scheme is very basic, could stand some more motions.

Geno isn't it, but let's also be realistic with young QBs. Murray, D. Jones, Haskins would be in year 5. Only 1 was good though lacks desire to be great. Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Hurts, that was a great QB class. Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones, only Lawrence is a lock to get his 5th year option picked up. Pickett, just average. Young, Stroud, Richardson, Levis. Young, can see that he is a QB who needs help. But, let's say he does turn it around with a new HC moving forward. He has to accept that he needs help otherwise, the team can't afford one of either an OL or weapons or D for him. If guys around him go down, he can't make things happen. Stroud is excellent. Richardson, biggest guy of the group and had 2 big injuries, a Concussion and Shoulder. Concerns of a shorter career if this continues. Levis, you see the physical skills and toughness in the pocket, but see the poor decision making as well at times.

Williams, Maye, I don't see Seattle having a shot at them. Penix, McCarthy, Nix, Daniels, not sure any would ever be better than 2022 Geno.

In hindsight, maybe last draft was the year to go big if they eyed Stroud. Cost of the 5th pick Witherspoon, likely a WR (most likely DK), SEA's 2nd in 2024, and Sea's 1st in 2023. (knocking a 2nd from 2025 given that pick 5 is worth more than pick 9. Maybe a 3rd or 4th needs to go the other way in place of that 2nd.) But, honestly, Stroud has played way better than I thought he would.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
If Michigan and Georgia win their championship games, they are in. FSU, with Travis hurt, not sure the committee would want an unproven QB in the playoff. That might be a ratings nightmare.
UW/Ore winner gets in. Then, say Oregon wins, and UW is a 1 loss team, like OSU. Committee more likely to take the bigger OSU brand over UW if that is the case.

Geno isn't playing well. Not protecting the ball. For someone from the McVay tree, I don't see the same type of easy completions for 7-10 yards out of the Hawks. Plus, the run scheme is very basic, could stand some more motions.

Geno isn't it, but let's also be realistic with young QBs. Murray, D. Jones, Haskins would be in year 5. Only 1 was good though lacks desire to be great. Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Hurts, that was a great QB class. Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones, only Lawrence is a lock to get his 5th year option picked up. Pickett, just average. Young, Stroud, Richardson, Levis. Young, can see that he is a QB who needs help. But, let's say he does turn it around with a new HC moving forward. He has to accept that he needs help otherwise, the team can't afford one of either an OL or weapons or D for him. If guys around him go down, he can't make things happen. Stroud is excellent. Richardson, biggest guy of the group and had 2 big injuries, a Concussion and Shoulder. Concerns of a shorter career if this continues. Levis, you see the physical skills and toughness in the pocket, but see the poor decision making as well at times.

Williams, Maye, I don't see Seattle having a shot at them. Penix, McCarthy, Nix, Daniels, not sure any would ever be better than 2022 Geno.

In hindsight, maybe last draft was the year to go big if they eyed Stroud. Cost of the 5th pick Witherspoon, likely a WR (most likely DK), SEA's 2nd in 2024, and Sea's 1st in 2023. (knocking a 2nd from 2025 given that pick 5 is worth more than pick 9. Maybe a 3rd or 4th needs to go the other way in place of that 2nd.) But, honestly, Stroud has played way better than I thought he would.
I think nix is a good fit for seattle. He'd probably be available around where the Seahawks pick and looks highly coachable. Doesn't take many sacks. Seems the perfect Pete Caroll qb.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think nix is a good fit for seattle. He'd probably be available around where the Seahawks pick and looks highly coachable. Doesn't take many sacks. Seems the perfect Pete Caroll qb.
I like 3 year college starters but Nix I do wonder about how long he’s been in school. In that he’s probably at best a Purdy type who can operate an offense. Aka Geno last season. Is he going to win you a game vs Phi/SF is the run game isn’t working? Don’t think so.

But if he’s effective on a rookie contract at an average of around $4 mill per season or similar to what JSN is costing, then you can for 4 seasons load the team up.

I’m just being realistic of what to expect after Williams and Maye.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Another bullshit Mariners trade - Kelenic and Marco and Evan White to the Braves for two pitchers I've never heard of (Jackson Kowar and Cole Phillips).

I swear, one of these days I'm going to seriously talk about no longer rooting for them.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Well, frankly, neither of Kelenic and White have really developed with the Seattle organization. At least not to anywhere near the levels expected. Word is "stalled". Marco... Well, he's just an OK pitcher.

Rumour is that Seattle is after Blake Snell and dealing Marco opens up a rotation spot.

You add Snell and the Mariners still look very bad offensively on paper. They really need to sign some bats. REALLY. It's looking VERY bad. Like Sub .200 team batting bad. Good lord.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Was also reading that it freed up $52M for the M's. I think that's why the price (Kelenic and $4.5M) was steep because it was ultimately a salary dump of $30M for Marco and $24M for White and if I'm reading correctly, only taking on $1.5M between the two they got in return.

They may be going after more than we think. Perhaps they learned that they couldn't rely on their prospects to pull it all off. We shall see. Could end up being ok.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Was also reading that it freed up $52M for the M's. I think that's why the price (Kelenic and $4.5M) was steep because it was ultimately a salary dump of $30M for Marco and $24M for White and if I'm reading correctly, only taking on $1.5M between the two they got in return.

They may be going after more than we think. Perhaps they learned that they couldn't rely on their prospects to pull it all off. We shall see. Could end up being ok.
Or John Stanton could just be fattening his bank account.

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
All these moves better be to set up for something(s) big because we have sure lost a lot of offensive and have not even remotely attempted to replaced it. Yes, Geno, Teo and Kelenic all struck out a lot, but they also hit for some power and we have done nothing to replace that (no, Urias is not enough to offset anything).

I do not see the Mariners signing Ohtani, but they better do something because there is absolutely no way that the team right now is better than it was at the end of the season and the team has actually gotten worse!

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
All these moves better be to set up for something(s) big because we have sure lost a lot of offensive and have not even remotely attempted to replaced it. Yes, Geno, Teo and Kelenic all struck out a lot, but they also hit for some power and we have done nothing to replace that (no, Urias is not enough to offset anything).

I do not see the Mariners signing Ohtani, but they better do something because there is absolutely no way that the team right now is better than it was at the end of the season and the team has actually gotten worse!
Local media now saying Dipoto found out his budget was far less than anticipated and he had to make cuts to try and spend elsewhere. Rumors the Root sports Comcast deal is the issue and subscribership is far less than expected due to the price increase from Comcast.

If true I hope this doesn't screw the Kraken too but it feels like an excuse.

Regardless, screw ownership. We haven't spent big in years and were promised we would when the iron was hot which should have been last year. They are one of the most profitable teams in the league. Spend some damn money.

Reactions: Hocktopus

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
Local media now saying Dipoto found out his budget was far less than anticipated and he had to make cuts to try and spend elsewhere. Rumors the Root sports Comcast deal is the issue and subscribership is far less than expected due to the price increase from Comcast.

Regardless, screw ownership. We haven't spent big in years and were promised we would when the iron was hot which should have been last year. They are one of the most profitable teams in the league. Spend some damn money.
Yes, this whole "we don't have money" is a complete farce! Stanton is just too cheap to spend and are they that daft to believe that fans will blindly turn up to T Mobile to watch an inferior product? As well, the Ms are not in the AL Central were any team there can win that division in any given year.

We finished third behind Houston and Texas last season and there is no way that we are better than either of them with the current roster.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

The Mariners are THE most profitable. If that rumor is true, f*** the M’s until they get good. I won’t spend any of my money until they start spending the money I gave them over the last 44 years.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The Mariners are THE most profitable. If that rumor is true, f*** the M’s until they get good. I won’t spend any of my money until they start spending the money I gave them over the last 44 years.
Mariners have had pretty high attendances the last 2 years. They are basically saying with current ownership they won't spend money and ever compete for a world series. There will always be some excuse not to spend. They just want to be the Rays and hope the farm carries them then trade some of those talents. Unlike the Rays though our fans show up.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Feels like the Huskies are the one bright spot in Seattle this year out with the MLS/NWSL teams. Kraken can't get it together, Seahawks look like their season is falling apart and I think Geno and Waldron may be on the hot seat soon, Mariners are having an offseason from hell and killing any momentum they had after the play offs, potential civil war between ownership and the GM/operations team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Feels like the Huskies are the one bright spot in Seattle this year out with the MLS/NWSL teams. Kraken can't get it together, Seahawks look like their season is falling apart and I think Geno and Waldron may be on the hot seat soon, Mariners are having an offseason from hell and killing any momentum they had after the play offs, potential civil war between ownership and the GM/operations team.
For the Hawks, they probably were ahead of schedule last season, but that was largely due to Geno playing extremely well. This season, he's made far too many mistake, plus the offense has stalled too often. If you didn't know that Waldron came from the Rams, you'd think it was the same Schotty and Bevell scheme. Don't see the creativity out of him as you do with the Rams.
So long as they run the ball well, I don't think Pete should care how they do it. SF uses a lot of motions but they are a hard nosed team which Pete wants his club to be.

Looking back at their selections, I get the Carter pass. JSN, really good player, but scheme wise, I think in hindsight, Hawks probably better with 2 TE sets than 3 WR ones. Laporta and or Mayer may have been the better option (since Fant could leave in free agency, Parkinson as well, and Dissly should be either a restructure down or a straight cut). Haven't gotten much of anything out of Hall or the 2 DT in Young/Morris. But, Bradford and Oluwatemi have filled in admirably this season due to injury.

Kraken, probably like the Hawks fired on all cylinders last season, like the Preds in 21/22 did. I think that all of Duchene, Jossi, Johansen, Forsberg had either career seasons or their best one in like the last 3/4 years. Similar with the Kraken last year too.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

I’m going to do my damndest to make sure there’s a civil war between the M’s fanbase and ownership if literally any of the rumors are true. I’ve put all my M’s shirts, jerseys and hats in a box until further notice. They are goi g to have to prove themselves to me. If they were trying to get better, I’d be on board, but I’m convinced they are trying to get worst and just keep sucking us fans dry and I’m done if that turns out to be the case. Still about 3 months to prove me wrong. Ball is in the M’s court.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad