OT: Non-Kraken Local Sports (Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, etc.)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't follow junior hockey too much but where the Thunderbirds just rebuilding this year after almost winning it all last year? Is their team pretty young or did they just mortgage it all to try win everything?
Reality of WHL teams that go for it. Turnover is just as fast as a college program. Great one season, then lose 1/3 of the roster, with most of the best leaving, then you start at the bottom.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Mariners are a .500 team with that crap offense, and your ace pitching like a 4th starter. Who in that line up scares you? Julio is a stud but he’s been so anti-clutch in his young career.

Luckily they have so good young starting arms.

Oh and I hate John Stanton for the record. I have a severe dislike for bean counters.

According to some news outlests NBA comissioner Adam Silver's currently finalizing the NBA TV rights deal.

After that they're supposedly talking expansion and could announce something about that, at some point, as well.

So it might be not that far away from Seattle becoming a city with all major sports leagues and the Sonics returning.
They won’t be. The Mariners will be on the bottom of the pile fighting for the Seattle Sports dollar, thanks Stanton and his lies and disrespect to his fanbase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevinsane

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Reality of WHL teams that go for it. Turnover is just as fast as a college program. Great one season, then lose 1/3 of the roster, with most of the best leaving, then you start at the bottom.
So expect them to suck for a couple of years and hope they bring in some promising talent by then?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So expect them to suck for a couple of years and hope they bring in some promising talent by then?
It's junior hockey. 16-20 year olds. Most guys play 4 years there, with only 2 guys at most per team doing an overage 5th year. And it's a draft, not a college recruiting cycle.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Well said. If you have an older team, so to speak, you push your chips in and shoot for the Memorial Cup, quadruply so if you’re the host city. It’s very cyclical.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
No way Seahawks could take a quarterback after six QBs went in the first twelve, but I like Murphy on the line.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The M’s might not be too bad. 13-12, in first place, but most notably have played 22 of 25 games against teams with records over .500. It doesn’t look that impressive until you see that stat and realize that they’ve played far more games against .500 plus competition than any other .500 plus team. 22! The next most is 19 (Brewers and Pittsburgh) while most of the others are between 9 and 16. Makes it look like the Mariners have had the second or third toughest schedule so far overall and the toughest of teams over .500 at this point.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The M’s might not be too bad. 13-12, in first place, but most notably have played 22 of 25 games against teams with records over .500. It doesn’t look that impressive until you see that stat and realize that they’ve played far more games against .500 plus competition than any other .500 plus team. 22! The next most is 19 (Brewers and Pittsburgh) while most of the others are between 9 and 16. Makes it look like the Mariners have had the second or third toughest schedule so far overall and the toughest of teams over .500 at this point.
I just wish the bats were more consistent. Their pitching has been lights out but the moment Raleigh or Crawford are out the depth can't pick up the slack and there's the odd game where they can't hit for shit. Texas will get better, tons of injuries so the more space they can get in front the better. Glad the astros are struggling though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No way Seahawks could take a quarterback after six QBs went in the first twelve, but I like Murphy on the line.
Got Haynes the OG from UConn. Was hoping Zinter with the broken leg might fall to round 4 for them with the Wash pick. Think they still get another OL and LB in rd 4. Need a 3rd TE and then it’s add the bpa at whatever position they can get.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Didn't love the lber taken in round 4. Seems a reach and I think we regret that one. We probably shouldn't have traded down there.

We need murphy to be a star and the two guards to a least be starters. Guessing one becomes a center.

The howell move looks shrewd with hindsight. Howell is younger than a lot of those QB's and probably as much potential as many if he can tody up the turnovers (which is possible with the right coaching).

It felt like round 1 and 3 fell the seahawks way bit the 4th and 5th round didn't and they didn't get the lber they wanted and had to take a te earlier than liked.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Didn't love the lber taken in round 4. Seems a reach and I think we regret that one. We probably shouldn't have traded down there.

We need murphy to be a star and the two guards to a least be starters. Guessing one becomes a center.

The howell move looks shrewd with hindsight. Howell is younger than a lot of those QB's and probably as much potential as many if he can tody up the turnovers (which is possible with the right coaching).

It felt like round 1 and 3 fell the seahawks way bit the 4th and 5th round didn't and they didn't get the lber they wanted and had to take a te earlier than liked.
Day 3 picks, hard to judge at this point in time. Added depth a CB as they are likely to move off Brown and Jackson in a year. Added depth on OL, but never know how they develop. Olu and Bradford got playing time last season due to injury. Haynes will start, the other 2 are depth for now.
TE, see how well he blocks. LB, maybe not as versatile as you hope for, but it's round 4, and LBs for past few years, not as plentiful in the early rounds of the draft anymore.

Murphy was kind of who you expected them to take. Either him or the OW OT who would slide to OG in the NFL whom Pitt took. You just wonder if they maybe should have looked to swapping with Minny to 23 and taking what Jax got which was a 5th, this year and and 3rd and 4th next year to move down 7 spots. Jax took a WR, Cincy an OT, Pitt an OL. Rams took DE Verse, Phi a CB, Mia a DE. Hard to say for sure if Murphy is still on the board as Mia lost Wilkins and could have been looking to replace him.

Massive gap between when Nix was taken to Rattler. Clear separation from the GMs of what they think of the QBs. Message to NCAA QBs. Either you are a day 1/2 guy or you stay in school and get as much NIL money as possible before you are done your eligibility. Now it makes sense all of those QBs who are maximizing their Super SR year in NCAA vs declare for NFL draft. 2025 would be the final season of the Super SR year, if you were a RS FR in 2020.

Reactions: sigma six

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Day 3 picks, hard to judge at this point in time. Added depth a CB as they are likely to move off Brown and Jackson in a year. Added depth on OL, but never know how they develop. Olu and Bradford got playing time last season due to injury. Haynes will start, the other 2 are depth for now.
TE, see how well he blocks. LB, maybe not as versatile as you hope for, but it's round 4, and LBs for past few years, not as plentiful in the early rounds of the draft anymore.

Murphy was kind of who you expected them to take. Either him or the OW OT who would slide to OG in the NFL whom Pitt took. You just wonder if they maybe should have looked to swapping with Minny to 23 and taking what Jax got which was a 5th, this year and and 3rd and 4th next year to move down 7 spots. Jax took a WR, Cincy an OT, Pitt an OL. Rams took DE Verse, Phi a CB, Mia a DE. Hard to say for sure if Murphy is still on the board as Mia lost Wilkins and could have been looking to replace him.

Massive gap between when Nix was taken to Rattler. Clear separation from the GMs of what they think of the QBs. Message to NCAA QBs. Either you are a day 1/2 guy or you stay in school and get as much NIL money as possible before you are done your eligibility. Now it makes sense all of those QBs who are maximizing their Super SR year in NCAA vs declare for NFL draft. 2025 would be the final season of the Super SR year, if you were a RS FR in 2020.
I doubt Murphy would be there if we had traded down. I love the pick. Didnt expect to get him.

It's a bummer Verse went to the Rams but I think the Seahawks pass rush will be fine with Nwosu back and I think scheme wise in general will just taken significant steps.

I wonder if Riq Woolen will be here this time next year, I could see him being traded since he does have some value.

I think Nix was taken too high and it might cost Sean Payton his job. I saw we invite Tua's brother to a try out. Didn't he have college eligibility left and some wanted him, seems like bad advice given to him? I wonder if teams panicked on QB's due to the perceived shortage next year. Everything i've read is that next years draft is deep but not at QB, some can emerge though e.g. who knows if UW's new transfer QB will be any good.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Woolen has raw skill that needs to be coached up. Might have read too much of his press clippings last season and didn't take his game to another level. Can't coach that length and speed. So, will give him a chance to develop.

QBs, too many college kids are coming out early but need refinement. But, with HC changes all around, can't say I blame McCarthy for coming out with Harbaugh gone and the team going to take a step back next season which could drop him in the draft.
Lots of unknowns for 2025 QB draft. Ewers, don't see elite in college play from him. Beck, ok starter at Georgia. Allar, was the guy people thought would be better. Has the physical tools. See if he puts together a better second year as a starter. Sanders from Colorado.
Ewers is the only real returning 2 year starter. Everyone else just has 1 under their belt from the P5. Sanders with starters experience prior but at a lower level.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Woolen has raw skill that needs to be coached up. Might have read too much of his press clippings last season and didn't take his game to another level. Can't coach that length and speed. So, will give him a chance to develop.

QBs, too many college kids are coming out early but need refinement. But, with HC changes all around, can't say I blame McCarthy for coming out with Harbaugh gone and the team going to take a step back next season which could drop him in the draft.
Lots of unknowns for 2025 QB draft. Ewers, don't see elite in college play from him. Beck, ok starter at Georgia. Allar, was the guy people thought would be better. Has the physical tools. See if he puts together a better second year as a starter. Sanders from Colorado.
Ewers is the only real returning 2 year starter. Everyone else just has 1 under their belt from the P5. Sanders with starters experience prior but at a lower level.
He has potential for sure. I just wonder if the injuries affected him. He couldn't tackle or it at least looked like that. In fairness the whole seahawks defence imploded last year. No one seemed to know what to do assignment wise.

Other than Sanders I don't see anyone I really rate. There's a good chance Ewers loses his job to Manning. Milroe gets hyped but he just seemed like an athlete to me. Maybe Georgia's QB.

I did hear Fifita get some hype at Arizona and Cam Ward who was at WSU so may keep an eye out for them. Just seems meh compared to last draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He has potential for sure. I just wonder if the injuries affected him. He couldn't tackle or it at least looked like that. In fairness the whole seahawks defence imploded last year. No one seemed to know what to do assignment wise.

Other than Sanders I don't see anyone I really rate. There's a good chance Ewers loses his job to Manning. Milroe gets hyped but he just seemed like an athlete to me. Maybe Georgia's QB.

I did hear Fifita get some hype at Arizona and Cam Ward who was at WSU so may keep an eye out for them. Just seems meh compared to last draft.
32 starters in the NFL and really, can see the clear separation of the top 8 from the 9-16 guys in the second group. So, not every year you're going to get someone who can break into that top group down the line.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Rank the expansion teams' inaugural head coaches:

Jack Patera
1714424100776.png

Darrell Johnson
1714424147590.png

Dave Hakstol
1714424180828.png

Al Bianchi
1714424240075.png

Sigi Schmid
1714424281927.png

Lin Dunn
1714424334529.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Prelim starting lineup for Hawks:
QB - Geno with Howell as backup
RB - Walker, Charbonnet and MacIntosh as top trio. Expect a FB and another RB to make the 53 man club
WR - DK, Lockett, JSN with Bobo as my sure locks. Any combo of Eskridge, Young, Sheanault, and others for WR5/6.
OT - Cross and Lucas as starters. Fant the main backup. Forsythe and Jerrell (do they aim to place him on PS?
OG - Haynes and Tomlinson would be my best guess at guard. Bradford, and the Utah kid as backups.
C - Olu and Harris at C

See how the OL gels with new starters and whether Lucas can stay healthy.

On D curious to see who plays in nickel and Dime. Expect Spoon and Woolen to start. Does Bryant make the nickel position back? Where do Brown and Jackson fit with the 2 CB they took?

Seems like they are keeping their 3/4 scheme. I’m more a 4/3 guy but see what they can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad