OT: Non-Kraken Local Sports (Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, etc.)

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
According to some news outlests NBA comissioner Adam Silver's currently finalizing the NBA TV rights deal.

After that they're supposedly talking expansion and could announce something about that, at some point, as well.

So it might be not that far away from Seattle becoming a city with all major sports leagues and the Sonics returning.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
According to some news outlests NBA comissioner Adam Silver's currently finalizing the NBA TV rights deal.

After that they're supposedly talking expansion and could announce something about that, at some point, as well.

So it might be not that far away from Seattle becoming a city with all major sports leagues and the Sonics returning.
I'd be stunned if Seattle and Vegas don't get teams. I'm hoping the Kraken don't become an after thought or suffer once the NBA comes.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I'd be stunned if Seattle and Vegas don't get teams. I'm hoping the Kraken don't become an after thought or suffer once the NBA comes.

Well, unless they're a consistant stanley cup contender they'll have a harder time given that both leagues are playing at the same time.

Though, they've had a couple of years to built a solid following to be OK.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Well, unless they're a consistant stanley cup contender they'll have a harder time given that both leagues are playing at the same time.

Though, they've had a couple of years to built a solid following to be OK.
They have to an extent but ticket prices are so expensive and prohibitive to many people. I'm not a huge NBA fan but if you have limited disposable income and have to choose between the 2 that will suck.

I feel like the NFL gets away with those prices as its viewer base makes up several states for the seahawks

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
They have to an extent but ticket prices are so expensive and prohibitive to many people. I'm not a huge NBA fan but if you have limited disposable income and have to choose between the 2 that will suck.

I feel like the NFL gets away with those prices as its viewer base makes up several states for the seahawks

Yeah, those ticket prices are insane and the guys on Emerald City Hockey have said they are the most expensive of the whole league.

So no matter how this team performs, if ownership doesn't decrease the prices they will have trouble selling out that arena aynways.

Overall not surprising given that you can only charge prices like that once given that everyone wanted to be part of the first of everything and was willing to pray those prices because of it.

If the NBA does come to town it will be a rival for ticket sales(as they play the same amount of games during the same time of the year) and that might help with lowering the ticket cost.

BTW: The NFL also has only 8 - 9 home games and one game a week.
So naturally they can charge way higher prices as there's less opportunities to catch a game.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
BTW: The NFL also has only 8 - 9 home games and one game a week.
So naturally they can charge way higher prices as there's less opportunities to catch a game.
This is true with total number of games but my Seahawks season tickets are cheaper than my Kraken season tickets for similar sections/seats

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This is true with total number of games but my Seahawks season tickets are cheaper than my Kraken season tickets for similar sections/seats

Do you mean alltogether or per game?

If it's alltogether it makes sense cause you've got 8/9 games for the Seahawks and 41 for the Kraken.

If it's per game then it shows you what kind of prices they were able to ask for(during the expansion process) and that they'll have to lower their Kraken season ticket prices no matter what.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Do you mean alltogether or per game?

If it's alltogether it makes sense cause you've got 8/9 games for the Seahawks and 41 for the Kraken.

If it's per game then it shows you what kind of prices they were able to ask for(during the expansion process) and that they'll have to lower their Kraken season ticket prices no matter what.
Per game!

My Seahawks tickets in 314 (upper corner, half way up) are $104/game on average. When I started they were only $48 per game 20 years ago
My Kraken tickets in 225 Row A are $133/game on average. Row A does have like a 40% premium versus Row B and higher so not quite apples to apples, but it is my cost factor.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Per game!

My Seahawks tickets in 314 (upper corner, half way up) are $104/game on average. When I started they were only $48 per game 20 years ago
My Kraken tickets in 225 Row A are $133/game on average. Row A does have like a 40% premium versus Row B and higher so not quite apples to apples, but it is my cost factor.

Yikes. Kraken FO are going to have to address that.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
IMG_1650.gif

The Kraken FO “addressing it”…

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
If the Seahawks get Grubb as reports are saying that truly is swinging for the fences. High risk high reward stuff. If MacDonald can solidify that defense like he did at Michigan and the Ravens and Grubb's playcalling and well balanced offense transfers to the NFL...ufft.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Per game!

Thanks for the info.

That's nuts and clearly shows you that the Kraken have to adjust their prices if they want more people to renew the tickets.
Especially with the number of games(and therefore overall cost) and the fact that the NHL is nowhere near as popular as the NFL.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Happy tenth anniversary to Super Bowl 48! Living in Denver this one was a lot of fun (although I was terrified leading up to it).

1706891856967.png

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I bear Russ no ill will, he put some really great seasons together here and was part of our first ever SB win--even if you put that more on the defense, it's hard to imagine that kind of success with Matt Flynn, haha.

But we definitely made the best possible trade, and did it at the right time so no regrets there!

Curious to see where he lands next.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I bear Russ no ill will, he put some really great seasons together here and was part of our first ever SB win--even if you put that more on the defense, it's hard to imagine that kind of success with Matt Flynn, haha.

But we definitely made the best possible trade, and did it at the right time so no regrets there!

Curious to see where he lands next.
Yeah, that trade was wow from a Seahawks perspective.
I hope Wilson can figure it out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, that trade was wow from a Seahawks perspective.
I hope Wilson can figure it out.
I think he can so long as he fully understands that he has limitations and that he's not an elite passer. Pitt has WR and a run game. He can throw the deep ball. Just has to play within himself and have Smith the OC play to his strengths.
Put the MVP vote thing aside and just focus on winning.

As for free agency, Seattle just keeping their guys in Williams and Fant.

So, far they would be getting 2025 comp picks for Lewis, Brooks, Lock and Parkinson. Likely from round 4, 5, 6 (last 2) respectively. For now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Got our blocking TE in Pharaoh Brown- believe I read this cancels out the 6th round comp pick, but we do need more than one TE.
No need to be counting comp picks this early in Free Agency.
Hawks have had a good number of players signed by other clubs, so have to wait for everything to shake down. Plus you can only receive 4 comp picks a years. They've lost 5 guys in Lewis, Brooks, Wagner, Parkinson, Lock. So, even if they didn't sign anyone, they would not get comped for all 5 guys they lost. They got their Dissly replacement. Should target a TE in like round 4 of the draft.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Most comp picks are a waste of space. Have we ever drafted a good player with one? It's usually Amara Darboh types. Even the 49ers who gets tons usually squander it

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most comp picks are a waste of space. Have we ever drafted a good player with one? It's usually Amara Darboh types. Even the 49ers who gets tons usually squander it
these are at the end of round 3 and onwards. so earliest ones are from pick 97 to like 102. then in rd 4 they would be like 137-145 give or take.

Makes them no different than most 5th, 6th and 7th rounders. But, you can trade them, so they make useful ammo to trade up if you want someone 15 picks before you are scheduled to pick in round 3. Deal your 3 at 78 or whatever to go up to 65 and use a comp. 5th to do so.

I still shake my head at that draft where they traded down like 2-3 times and passed up Ryan Ramczyck the OT who went to NO late in rd 1 to then take McDowell. All that extra draft capital of 3rd and 4ths, (not sure which were used, but they got guys like Tedric Thompson, Darboh, another S none of which really got much playing time.) didn't really contribute much. Would have just been so much better off just drafting a rock solid RT like Ramcyzck has been for NO.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
these are at the end of round 3 and onwards. so earliest ones are from pick 97 to like 102. then in rd 4 they would be like 137-145 give or take.

Makes them no different than most 5th, 6th and 7th rounders. But, you can trade them, so they make useful ammo to trade up if you want someone 15 picks before you are scheduled to pick in round 3. Deal your 3 at 78 or whatever to go up to 65 and use a comp. 5th to do so.

I still shake my head at that draft where they traded down like 2-3 times and passed up Ryan Ramczyck the OT who went to NO late in rd 1 to then take McDowell. All that extra draft capital of 3rd and 4ths, (not sure which were used, but they got guys like Tedric Thompson, Darboh, another S none of which really got much playing time.) didn't really contribute much. Would have just been so much better off just drafting a rock solid RT like Ramcyzck has been for NO.
McDowell was unlucky in that you couldn't have foreseen the accident but 100% agree they got far too cute with trading down in drafts for a while. The last 2 drafts probably saved Schneiders job as before that they hadn't been great for a while.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I don't follow junior hockey too much but where the Thunderbirds just rebuilding this year after almost winning it all last year? Is their team pretty young or did they just mortgage it all to try win everything?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Nice to get that first Mariners win under the belt - great start by Kirby and wild gas by Munoz to close it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad