Confirmed Trade: [NJD/EDM] Patrick Maroon for J.D. Dudek, 2019 3rd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
I dont think Jersey should of gone for it this year tbh

i dont think this should be called 'going for it'. if they were really going for it you wouldve seen a blockbuster like bos or tb went for.

this is just a vote of confidence for the team. giving them a chance to make the playoffs and go on a cinderella run. showing the young guns management will do what they can to help them get over the hump cant hurt. they really didnt give up all that much for maroon or grabner. rykov is the only piece that is a question mark. i think they made out well here. up to the players to make some noise this year.

as a devs fan..... lets just hope they dont face philly in the first round.

Reactions: Aethon

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Meh, the Grabner trade was more going for it than this one by far. And we could still re-sign Grabner as he definitely fits our style of play. This trade basically costs us nothing. A prospect that was realistically not going to make the team and a 3rd round pick next year. Very very little to give up. And it can be very valuable to get our youngsters playoff experience and of course for Hall to finally make the playoffs.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
This imbecile of a GM didn't even know which draft pick he was acquiring from New Jersey, mentioning "this year's 3rd, 2018 3rd etc" throughout the presser. How does a man who can't even do proper arithmetic have a job as an NHL GM?

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

Sounds like there was a chance for Chia to get more at one point.

It means that teams weren't willing to pay the price for Maroon and started to explore other options, then Chia didn't want loose Maroon for nothing so the price dropped

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Meh, the Grabner trade was more going for it than this one by far. And we could still re-sign Grabner as he definitely fits our style of play. This trade basically costs us nothing. A prospect that was realistically not going to make the team and a 3rd round pick next year. Very very little to give up. And it can be very valuable to get our youngsters playoff experience and of course for Hall to finally make the playoffs.
I just don't see where maroon fits

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
How do you read it as that? I read it as Edmonton wanted more and with no other options came down last minute.
Yeah exactly. There were much better wingers out there, no one was going to offer anything good for Maroon with guys like Grabner, Nash, Vanek, and Kane out there. The buyers look like they ended up getting the guys they wanted.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
New Jersey didn't give up enough this year to have gone for it. This is an effort to ensure we finish strong in a playoff spot and give our young team all the experience that comes with that. Both guys we traded for are also young enough to re-sign this summer on a short term deal, which we can afford.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's just classic bad negotiating. Chia wanted more than people were willing to give, and stubbornly stuck with it. Then doors started closing on guys even interested in still getting Maroon. Then with 10 mins to go, he had to drop his ask to whatever anyone would give him.

It's just classic Chia type stuff.

At least there was a real deadline this time though. Usually he is panicking to meet his own made up deadlines. Improvement?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Underwhelming return. Dudek looks like nothing - has worse numbers at 22 than McPhee and Rasanen, 19 year old Oiler prospects also playing for Boston College.

Thought we’d at least get a 2nd but that went dead in the water when Kane only returned a 2nd (with impossible conditions) and a nothing prospects.

Devils fans, Maroon will thrill you at times and piss you off no end at others. Talented but wildly inconsistent.

So we got a slow Adam Henrique eh?

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Jersey wants to be competitive in the playoffs. They don’t expect to contend, but want to give it a fair shot and I don’t think they get hurt at these prices.

Plus they have as good a chance as any to resign these guys if they want to.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
That is some seriously terrible value for a player who scored 27G last season.

It’s not as if he’s signed to a sweet long-term contract. He’s a pure deadline rental in every sense of the word.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As per usual - I bet Chiarelli played his had in holding off to see if he could've gotten more of a return than it bit him in the ass as the deadline approached. Its been that way since the summer.
it seems more likely that the price came down because no one would pay it. It was likely this return, or coming up empty

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I'm simply happy that Jimmy Hayes will no longer see ice time as a result of this.
Pushing Hayes and Stafford out of the lineup for the price of 2 picks and one decent prospect is well worth it. It makes a team that matched up poorly with a lot of playoff teams have a slightly more even playing field. The Devils have a good offense now. If Schneider can come back and get hot, the team will have a chance to win a playoff series.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
A side note is that this signals the Devils as trying to be competitive and looking to win games.

Their biggest problem going in to the past couple seasons is they had tons of cap space to spend on free agents but the better players were not interested in playing for a team that presumably would be finishing in the bottom 10 of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad