Confirmed Trade: [NJD/EDM] Patrick Maroon for J.D. Dudek, 2019 3rd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A side note is that this signals the Devils as trying to be competitive and looking to win games.

Their biggest problem going in to the past couple seasons is they had tons of cap space to spend on free agents but the better players were not interested in playing for a team that presumably would be finishing in the bottom 10 of the league.
The last few seasons they haven't chased any free agents...This season Shero went after Shattenkirk but in the end he never made an offer. He said something like there was no use Shattenkirk wanted to play in New York. Previous seasons Shero was was just picking up players that he could seemingly flip for picks.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
EDM fans what can you tell us about Maroon? Seems like a guy who gets a good amount of goals in close proximity to the net. Well liked by you guys?

A much better player when hes motivated... was considered lazy in anaheim and they ate contract to get rid of him... became motivated in edmonton and lost weight to become decent when riding mcdavids coattail... once he started being put on other lines started giving very questionable efforts on checking assignments... looked almost like he was pouting the last month with some very lame efforts

At his best he seems like a guy who can score at a reasonable rate and will play tough and can play defense. Hes trying to get a big contract so he might show up and play motivated for remainder of year but id be very afraid to give him his next deal

Feels like ryan clowe, dave clarksson, matt beleskey waiting to happen

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
I don't think Maroon is very good when not leeching off McDavid's jock, but JD Dudek is maybe the 10th best forward on a BC team of dubious quality

yet another bad Chiarelli trade

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I don't think Maroon is very good when not leeching off McDavid's jock, but JD Dudek is maybe the 10th best forward on a BC team of dubious quality

yet another bad Chiarelli trade
oilers wern't resigning maroon. getting something is better then nothing.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm happy Maroon got shipped out of this shithole of a season. Hope he has success in NJ.

If the Oilers really wanted to, they'll get Maroon back in July.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
A much better player when hes motivated... was considered lazy in anaheim and they ate contract to get rid of him... became motivated in edmonton and lost weight to become decent when riding mcdavids coattail... once he started being put on other lines started giving very questionable efforts on checking assignments... looked almost like he was pouting the last month with some very lame efforts

At his best he seems like a guy who can score at a reasonable rate and will play tough and can play defense. Hes trying to get a big contract so he might show up and play motivated for remainder of year but id be very afraid to give him his next deal

Feels like ryan clowe, dave clarksson, matt beleskey waiting to happen

I was thinking it feels like Dustin Penner after his first couple of years in Edmonton. But without the new contract.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I was thinking it feels like Dustin Penner after his first couple of years in Edmonton. But without the new contract.

Penners a great example of a guy who needed to stay hungry to play well... and could absolutely stink when he played half speed

Im not sure maroon has sunk as low as penner yet... but then penner had way more high end talent when things were going well too

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Anyone else finding it odd how Maroon is barely giving New Jersey a chance? Keeps talking about how he'll miss Edmonton and how he'd want to resign there this summer.

Reactions: DasDrai

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Anyone else finding it odd how Maroon is barely giving New Jersey a chance? Keeps talking about how he'll miss Edmonton and how he'd want to resign there this summer.

He went on at length in the interview with our media about how excited he was when he heard the team was Jersey. We are so young, fast, and exciting. He can't wait to help the playoff push.

How he knows a bunch of his new teammates from his Duck years

Canadian media is toxic and doing its best to spin it. Still trying to keep that Hall is cancer narrative going too. Just shamless

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I have to laugh at some of the comments in this thread... before the trade... most fans were saying a 3rd (as did I -- http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/140129231/ ), or a 3rd and a prospect. Other fan bases were saying they wanted no part of him.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/patrick-maroon-at-the-tdl.2434573/

Looks like we got a 3rd and a loooooong shot.

Chia gets exactly what almost everyone says Maroon is worth and Chia failed... ? I agree he is not the best negotiator but this is fair value. The entire NHL knew he was available... you honestly think Chiarelli turned down better offers? (Yeah, I know queue the... "this is Chia we are talking about"). The only teams that Chia would turn down slightly better offers from are from the Bruins or the Flames... I support that. Most posters say Maroon is a 10-15 goal, 30 point LWer... how much do you get for one of those on an expiring contract?

For the Devils fans...
PROS
: Decent hands down low, goes to the dirty areas, strong and difficult to move off the puck, sticks up for his teammates and seems well liked by his teammates. He has been proven to be a good playoff performer.
CONS
: slow, inconsistent, lazy at times, gets away from nothing from officials.

Reactions: archiemandl

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
He went on at length in the interview with our media about how excited he was when he heard the team was Jersey. We are so young, fast, and exciting. He can't wait to help the playoff push.

How he knows a bunch of his new teammates from his Duck years

Canadian media is toxic and doing its best to spin it. Still trying to keep that Hall is cancer narrative going too. Just shamless

Also spoke about how much he likes playing for Hynes and how he loves the aggressive attacking style of play.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Eh, Oilers acquired him for a ECHL-caliber prospect + 4th and traded him for ECHL-caliber prospect + 3rd.

Regardless of what Maroon's perceived value is, it's technically positive asset management.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Penners a great example of a guy who needed to stay hungry to play well... and could absolutely stink when he played half speed

Im not sure maroon has sunk as low as penner yet... but then penner had way more high end talent when things were going well too

By the looks of Penner, hunger wasn't his issue

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Eh, Oilers acquired him for a ECHL-caliber prospect + 4th and traded him for ECHL-caliber prospect + 3rd.

Regardless of what Maroon's perceived value is, it's technically positive asset management.

Not to mention the 2.5 years of him as a good player. And when we resign him, it'll be a huge win.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Maroon is going to "circle back" to the Oilers in a similar fashion that the Oilers circled back into having a warm seat at the draft lottery.

Devils win this easy. A meh prospect and a third. Lol

This is where you have one team (Devils) who were embarrassed as a franchise to fall into the draft lottery trading with another team who just loves and expects to pick in the draft lottery trading with each other.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Based on the precedents set by wingers today, Maroon should have gotten a 1st at least and/or a much much better prospect. How the hell can Chiarelli not get *even remotely* a similar return to Rick Nash. What a joke.

And sure, he may not be worth that but today was a massive sellers market. Chia failed to use this to his favour.

Never was Maroon going to get a 1st . This speculation started out on HF Oilers . He is not that valuable . See his numbers before he played with McDavid ? GM's aren't dumb enough to pay base on last years production . Also Nash is a far far better player at both ends of the rink

Would agree with McSuper.

Also, don't think it was a seller's market. GMs collectively (on a whole) showed more restraint than years past. Maybe if you look at one trade (i.e., Nash) you could get that impression, but otherwise, not.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
At Maroons absolute best playing with McDavid on a first line, he is a 40 point player. The talk of him resigning with the Oilers I sure hope not. Maroon can be a decent player at times, but he is not a top line player. He can also be a very selfish player as well. Takes stupid penalties and no one whines to the refs more either. Sometimes he seems like he only cares about himself and not the team winning. It will be a close game and he will do something stupid to screw his team and will show his big annoying smile. He is a guy you like sometimes and cant stand other times.

There was probably 5 guys every buyer wanted more then Maroon who is objectively a 30 point player unless in the best situation. It is laughable to think a player the Oilers gave up nothing for is suddenly worth much.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I won't call it lip service, but that's definitely Maroon just feeding the Edmonton media what they want to hear.

He flipped a switch and spoke about how excited he is to play in New Jersey, and how good, young and talented we are. He also spoke highly of Hynes.

That said, I'm sure if Edmonton expressed interest in July, they'd be at the top of his list. I also expect him to enjoy his time as a Devil.

Reactions: shello

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
At Maroons absolute best playing with McDavid on a first line, he is a 40 point player. The talk of him resigning with the Oilers I sure hope not. Maroon can be a decent player at times, but he is not a top line player. He can also be a very selfish player as well. Takes stupid penalties and no one whines to the refs more either. Sometimes he seems like he only cares about himself and not the team winning. It will be a close game and he will do something stupid to screw his team and will show his big annoying smile. He is a guy you like sometimes and cant stand other times.

There was probably 5 guys every buyer wanted more then Maroon who is objectively a 30 point player unless in the best situation. It is laughable to think a player the Oilers gave up nothing for is suddenly worth much.

Only way it makes sense to sign him if Chia can move Lucic other wise there no way you can have 2 of them on the team . Marron at 3.5 for 4 years has more value then Lucic at 6 for 5 more years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad