Confirmed Trade: [NJD/EDM] Patrick Maroon for J.D. Dudek, 2019 3rd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I think he’s a pure rental for NJ so if he wants to go back to Edmonton, more power to him. He’s going to cost too much for what he is.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I for one, was expecting a second minimum.

AS soon as I heard it was to the Devils, I knew it wasn't the case.

If Maroon re-signs in Edmonton, I'll be happy, but at the same time I definitely expected more, especially with how the market went today.

That being said, I'm looking forward to watching the Devils even more with Hall and Maroon on the team. I hate the deal as an Oilers fan. Chiarelli should have gotten more, but of course, he didn't.

How was he getting more ? Kane got a 2nd . Was he suppose to get a gun and hold it to other GM's head ? If that was the best offer and his demands were such we weren't going to resign him it better to get something

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think he’s a pure rental for NJ so if he wants to go back to Edmonton, more power to him. He’s going to cost too much for what he is.

I agree . Unless his asking price comes down I want not part of him even tho I like the guy . Chia was trying to sign him up until the last few days so obvious his demands were too high . Most I would pay him is 3.5 X 4 and that is only if we could move Lucic and use Maroon as a replacement . Maybe we can have Elon Musk make him disappear . He can be the new star man

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think Maroon is very good when not leeching off McDavid's jock, but JD Dudek is maybe the 10th best forward on a BC team of dubious quality

yet another bad Chiarelli trade

There was a glut of wingers on the market. Don't think he'll get the same production in NJ either without McDavid.

just FYI

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Eh, Oilers acquired him for a ECHL-caliber prospect + 4th and traded him for ECHL-caliber prospect + 3rd.

Regardless of what Maroon's perceived value is, it's technically positive asset management.

... and they squeezed 41 goals, 72 points out of him in 138 NHL regular season games AND 3 goals, 8 point in 13 NHL playoff games.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I won't call it lip service, but that's definitely Maroon just feeding the Edmonton media what they want to hear.

He flipped a switch and spoke about how excited he is to play in New Jersey, and how good, young and talented we are. He also spoke highly of Hynes.

That said, I'm sure if Edmonton expressed interest in July, they'd be at the top of his list. I also expect him to enjoy his time as a Devil.

Sounds like a good guy! ;)

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
it seems more likely that the price came down because no one would pay it. It was likely this return, or coming up empty
Agreed. After taking some time to breathe on it...it made sense. Maroon wasn't valued all that highly as I assume GMs just looked at him as a product of playing with a top 2 player in the world. Safe to say that I don't think he will produce anywhere nearly as much in NJ as he did here lol.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Keep in mind he was playing with a resurgent RNH or Draisaitl when he wasn't with McDavid. So not exactly chopped liver.

We'll see how it goes in NJ. If his scoring keeps up, his demands won't change... and thus we were losing him anyway.

If his scoring slumps, demand in him will change this summer and we might have a chance to resign him for less.

I don't get the sense that the negotiations became contentious in EDM, so he would likely still be open to returning.... should we want to go that direction.

(which begs the question... just what does Chia think he's going to be able to do this summer?!?... there aren't too many RD available)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Edmonton is great at drafting those later rounds. That 3rd will be our gold nugget for sure.

The Edmonton Oilers would like to thank our fan base back home, watching from Roger's at our draft party; because we have to get some extra use of it. The Edmonton Oilers are excited, and pleased to draft, out of no where, of no league, pass.

"Aggressive move taking a pass at this pick Chia, comment?"
"Well, we may as well not beat around the bush here. We were likely going to draft someone who wouldn't play far beyond junior anyway; so why get people excited? The pass fills a need of ours of limiting any kind of ELC's in the NHL. Who needs ELC's when you hand out huge contracts to anyone with a pulse."

Reactions: CraigBillington

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
He’s a rental. Patty will be back in Edmonton on July 1st. Book it.
I doubt that. I think he will look to sign with teams closest to his hometown in STL (CHI, NAS, CBJ) if not, then he may circle back to EDM.
He wants to be closer to his boy.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Maroon will go to the highest bidder on July 1. He's not the type of player that could pass up his last real shot at a good UFA contract.

Of course, I think there is a decent chance that the highest bidder is Edmonton.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I can see why the Sens did not move Smith .. with what was returned for Maroon... Smith has term but I don't think he's seen as more valuable than Maroon.

Buyer's market this year.. Nothing too stupid.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Lulz at the guy in the nash thread who said nash's return set the price for maroon

I'm not sure how anybody can think that. Nash is by far the superior player. His goal scoring may not be there anymore, but he's an east - west, north - south, all over the rink type of player. Very, very solid.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

Agreed, Shero and mgmt aren't going to bat an eye either way come July. He's totally a rental with no real plans with the team beyond that. Net front (physical) presence and a gritty element we lack at this time. If he contributes some respectable scoring that's the cherry on top but we didn't give up much either way.

Grabner on the other hand, well I'm expecting Ray will seek to make an offer they can both live with because his play style should mesh seamlessly with the team. Lots of hockey to go yet so we'll see...

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Penners a great example of a guy who needed to stay hungry to play well... and could absolutely stink when he played half speed

Im not sure maroon has sunk as low as penner yet... but then penner had way more high end talent when things were going well too

wasn't penner's problem that he was usually too hungry?

:sarcasm:

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Maroon was just being nice saying he wants to go back to Edmonton. I wouldn't go back if Oiler fans were making threats to his wife and family on twitter a few months back.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Maroon is a player ive liked for a long time. Great complimentary piece and netfront presence wgo can play up and down the lineup. He was with getzlaf in Anaheim and mcdavid in edm so alor say hes just a byproduct but playing with talent is a skill in its own. Wish we woulda kept him in Philly

Reactions: McDaddy

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Maroon was just being nice saying he wants to go back to Edmonton. I wouldn't go back if Oiler fans were making threats to his wife and family on twitter a few months back.

Those were LA fans, definitely not Oiler fans saying that.

If it makes any difference, Francesca (his lady) is still in Alberta today for her birthday, with Talbots wife, McDavids girlfriend, Kassians fiancee, and a few others. They also haven't sold their house here. Sounds like he's gonna be back.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Maroon has been really good for the Devils so far. I'm hoping we re-sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad