Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
A bit lengthy but for anyone interested:

Selection order and draft lottery[edit]

The selection order in the NHL Entry Draft is determined by a combination of lottery, regular season standing, and playoff results. While teams are permitted to trade draft picks both during the draft and prior to it (sometimes several years prior), in all cases, the selection order of the draft picks is based on the original holder of the pick, not a team which may have acquired the pick via a trade or other means.[7][8] The order of picks discussed in this section always references the original team.
The basic order of the NHL Entry Draft is determined based on the standings of the teams in the previous season. As with the other major sports leagues, the basic draft order is intended to favour the teams with the weakest performance who presumably need the most improvement in their roster to compete with the other teams. Subject to the results of the NHL Draft Lottery (discussed below), the teams pick in the same order each round, with each team getting one pick per round. The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:[9]
  1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)
The number of teams in the second and third group depends on whether the Conference finalists also won their division. The teams in each group (other than the Stanley Cup winner and runner up) are ordered within that group based on their point totals in the preceding regular season (with the lowest point total picking first). Tie-breakers are governed by the same rules used to determine ties in the regular season standings. The order of picks 1–15 may change during the first round of the draft based on the results of the NHL Draft lottery. In the subsequent rounds, the basic order based on point totals is used.[8]
When teams lose their rights to a first-round draft choice, because that player was not signed to a contract and consequently re-entered the entry draft or became an unrestricted free agent, they are awarded a compensatory draft pick. This selection will be the same numerical choice as the first round draft pick who was not signed, but in the second round. For example, if a team cannot sign the seventh overall first round draft choice, it will receive the seventh pick in the second round of the next draft as compensation.[10]

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Brett Leason may drop a bit from #43
This is the type of player i'd be in support of a trade-up scenario for if he is available in the 2nd round. Don't think he will need a lot of time in the AHL and his NHL ETA is shorter than most guys outside of the top 20. His skating improvement alone suggests to me that he might be a late blooming gem. Looks a lot like Stone stylistically.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What picks do we have this draft?

Round 2
#TEAMORIGINALPLAYERMUST SIGN BYTRADE/ADDITIONAL DETAILS
54---
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Round 3
85---
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Round 4
113--
Feb 16, 2018
Toronto Maple Leafs Acquire:
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

2019 4th round pick (STL - #113)
St. Louis Blues Acquire:
st_louis_blues.svg

Nikita Soshnikov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
116---
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Round 5
147---
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Round 7
204--
Oct 1, 2018
Toronto Maple Leafs Acquire:
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

2019 conditional 7th round pick* (DAL - #204)

*Conditions: If Carrick plays in at least 50 games the 2018-19 season, Leafs will receive a 6th round pick in 2019 instead.

Result: The condition was not met. Leafs receive the 2019 7th round pick.
Dallas Stars Acquire:
dallas_stars.svg

Connor Carrick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
209---
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I think we need to make a move to grab Moritz Seider. Big, RH D out of Germany that can skate, pass, defend and hit. Projects to be a top 4 d on the right side which would be almost exactly what we need.

I'd trade Kapanen straight up for a 1st/2nd round pick if he's still on the board and you can find a trade partner.

"At six-foot-four, Seider has a big frame. He’s a good skater for someone his size, and his mobility is pretty good as well. He has good passing skills and vision. He can move the puck and carry it himself. He likes to join the rush. Defensively, he’s solid. A smart player who knows how to use his size and strength. Calm under pressure. Not afraid to play the body, and capable of making big hits."

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think we need to make a move to grab Moritz Seider. Big, RH D out of Germany that can skate, pass, defend and hit. Projects to be a top 4 d on the right side which would be almost exactly what we need.

I'd trade Kapanen straight up for a 1st/2nd round pick if he's still on the board and you can find a trade partner.

"At six-foot-four, Seider has a big frame. He’s a good skater for someone his size, and his mobility is pretty good as well. He has good passing skills and vision. He can move the puck and carry it himself. He likes to join the rush. Defensively, he’s solid. A smart player who knows how to use his size and strength. Calm under pressure. Not afraid to play the body, and capable of making big hits."

I'm liking the way that you're thinking...

Kapanen and Brown to Edmonton for #8 OA.... would they do it... I'm not really sure... but it does give them a couple of wingers... maybe throw in our second too... maybe too much, I don't know.

Then flip #8 OA to Vegas, for #17 OA, #39 and #175 picks. Should get him at #17...

Last edited:
Reactions: Crysis

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

If we're trading Kapanen, it shouldn't be for a lottery ticket.

Reactions: leafers

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I was replying to somebody who was asking about divisional winners being passed by conference finalists.

No contest. Conference champions pick second last throughout

Ok, I thought the example would get through, but I have to be very specific I guess. The conference finalists Tampa, and Winnipeg also picked 3rd and 4th last(pre trades) each round last year as well. Which is why St. Louis will pick after us in round 2-7, and Colorado would have as well had they won tonight. Which is exactly what the guy you quoted was mentioning. But you were too busy telling him the playoff implications only affect the first round of the draft which is clearly incorrect.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
If this is true it must be new because Vegas and Washington were the final picks(before trades) in round 2-7 last year as well as round 1
That's what I thought...If it reverted to regular season standings our second pick would be 56th but it is 53rd...The only teams that revert to regular season standings after the first round are the 15 non-playoff teams...Actually we'll be drafting 52nd I believe as the NYR pick at 20 (originally the St Louis pick) will move to (28th to 31st depending on the results of the next 2 rounds)...Okay..I'm exhausted with all this crap..I just wanted to know when we picked...:laugh:

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
That's what I thought...If it reverted to regular season standings our second pick would be 56th but it is 53rd...The only teams that revert to regular season standings after the first round are the 15 non-playoff teams...Actually we'll be drafting 52nd I believe as the NYR pick at 20 (originally the St Louis pick) will move to (28th to 31st depending on the results of the next 2 rounds)...Okay..I'm exhausted with all this crap..I just wanted to know when we picked...:laugh:
Wiki has the Leafs at 53.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

53rd. First round is 22(for the Kings). Not sure if you forgot to move the 2nd digit 1 back for each round because of the 31 teams now. It was always easier when it was consistent throughout. 9 teams behind us(picking 54-62). The 4 finalists, 4 division regular season champs, and the Islanders.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
53rd. First round is 22(for the Kings). Not sure if you forgot to move the 2nd digit 1 back for each round because of the 31 teams now. It was always easier when it was consistent throughout. 9 teams behind us(picking 54-62). The 4 finalists, 4 division regular season champs, and the Islanders.
I thought I read somewhere recently that the 20th pick of the NYR originally belonged to St Louis but it appears I was wrong...We will be picking 22nd/53rd...

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
Just got the hockey news draft.
Robert Mastrosimore C
Best case : Brendan Galligher
Anyone know anything about this player.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Just got the hockey news draft.
Robert Mastrosimore C
Best case : Brendan Galligher
Anyone know anything about this player.

I like him. Gallagher is a good comparable. Small, skilled and feisty. I think both Dubas and Babcock would like him.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I'm liking the way that you're thinking...

Kapanen and Brown to Edmonton for #8 OA.... would they do it... I'm not really sure... but it does give them a couple of wingers... maybe throw in our second too... maybe too much, I don't know.

Then flip #8 OA to Vegas, for #17 OA, #39 and #175 picks. Should get him at #17...
You wouldn't get the 8th overall pick for the package.

Edmonton would rather do the Vegas package

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I hope we aquire a 1st or early 2nd this draft, especially if there is a sleeper that our scouts fall in love with.

I could see Kapanen and/or Johnsson being used as trading chips to aquire high pick(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia