Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
I really hope we have a chance to draft Ilya Nikolayev, at least for me he's the player I'd like Dubas to trade up for, if he decides to do that.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I really hope we have a chance to draft Ilya Nikolayev, at least for me he's the player I'd like Dubas to trade up for, if he decides to do that.
I don't think we'd have to trade up. Russians like this usually tend to slip a bit if nothing else because people get too hung up on the CHL playoffs and they get passed by players simply because their seasons finished earlier.

I'd take a shot at him with our 3rd or one of our 4ths if he's still around by then. I have a feeling we take another Kral/Dermott type d-man in the 2nd.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I hope we aquire a 1st or early 2nd this draft, especially if there is a sleeper that our scouts fall in love with.

I could see Kapanen and/or Johnsson being used as trading chips to aquire high pick(s).
Late 1st-early 2nd is where a good scouting staff can really make a difference. I agree with you here, we should make a push to get one.

Reactions: MyBudJT

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
How would you guys feel about drafting Sogaard in the 3rd? Decent goalie.
I'd take him in the 2nd to be honest. He got peppered this year and was still one of the best goalies in the WHL.

Has a good relationship with Freddie Andersen already too. Could ease his transition into our system.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm starting to warm to the idea of trading both Kapanen and Johnsson if their contract demands don't make sense. The Bruins didn't get great mileage in their 2016 rebuild but they did retool on the fly by moving out Lucic, Hamilton and co. for a couple of first round picks. Leafs could let one or both of Johnsson and Kapanen go, bring up the next wave of Bracco, Marchment, Engvall, Timashov, Moore and then build the next wave behind them.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I'm starting to warm to the idea of trading both Kapanen and Johnsson if their contract demands don't make sense. The Bruins didn't get great mileage in their 2016 rebuild but they did retool on the fly by moving out Lucic, Hamilton and co. for a couple of first round picks. Leafs could let one or both of Johnsson and Kapanen go, bring up the next wave of Bracco, Marchment, Engvall, Timashov, Moore and then build the next wave behind them.

We can let Johnsson go to arbitration. He isn't going to get much. We probably can't afford Kapanen at this point and we have a lot of right wingers.

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Kaedan Korczak is someone I would be into if we grabbed an early 2nd.

He's fallen off enough where he could be available at our 2nd round pick. At this point he's a late 2nd round quality prospect at best.

He may even get into the 3rd round, but I doubt to our pick.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We can let Johnsson go to arbitration. He isn't going to get much. We probably can't afford Kapanen at this point and we have a lot of right wingers.

We will need Johnsson, I'd agree with that. Kapanen... that depends on what other moves are made. I still think there is a chance that Nylander, or even Marner (if he asks for too much) are moved for a RHD. If they are, we'll need Kap.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's fallen off enough where he could be available at our 2nd round pick. At this point he's a late 2nd round quality prospect at best.

He may even get into the 3rd round, but I doubt to our pick.

I'd grab him with our 2nd happily. I am hoping we can snag another 2nd though in some type of transaction. I think a 1st might be to optimistic.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd grab him with our 2nd happily. I am hoping we can snag another 2nd though in some type of transaction. I think a 1st might be to optimistic.

Brown would be perfect IMO. I think we could snatch EDM's 2nd for him, even if we need to add a later round pick (i.e. I have us downgrading a 4th to a 5th) to get it done.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Reading through the THN Draft Preview, it's shocking how few Ontario born OHL products are in the top 60 prospects this year. It's literally about 5-6 guys, and none in the top 10. Really makes you wonder about a possible decline in Ontario representation with no early front runners from this area for the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Reading through the THN Draft Preview, it's shocking how few Ontario born OHL products are in the top 60 prospects this year. It's literally about 5-6 guys, and none in the top 10. Really makes you wonder about a possible decline in Ontario representation with no early front runners from this area for the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

Quinton Byfield

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Brown would be perfect IMO. I think we could snatch EDM's 2nd for him, even if we need to add a later round pick (i.e. I have us downgrading a 4th to a 5th) to get it done.

I am okay with that. Gotta keep a pipeline of prospects coming.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Ontario participation rates in minor hockey are down, almost every year. Hockey is growing in other places. Eventually this is the result.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pronman just released his 2019 rankings. He goes into detail for the 107 prospects. His top 5 is, in order: Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Caufield.

Pronman's 2019 NHL Draft Board: Top 107 prospects

I'll post the 2 prospects he has ranked at our current draft position for fun.

53 - Zachary Jones, D, Tri-City-USHL
Oct. 18, 2000 | 5-foot-10 | 176 pounds
Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 35
Hockey Sense: 60
Jones was one of the best defensemen in the USHL this season. He’s not the biggest or fastest defenseman, but he’s great with the puck on his stick. Jones has a high skill level, great offensive instincts, and is not afraid to try and make a play. He often joins the rush, pinches off the blueline and can thread difficult passes. His awareness with the puck is fantastic. He finds seams consistently, his point shots find teammates sticks, and I’ve even seen an assist where he banked a point shot off the boards and around the net intentionally. Some scouts hate his skating, claiming he’s knock-kneed. I don’t think he’s overly quick, but I’m not all the way there and think he has average speed. With that said, for a small defender, there is a legit concern if he will be quick enough to be a competent defender in the pros. At the USHL level, he was able to defend more than fine due to his great sense. I’d bet on him due to his offensive upside and hockey sense.
NHL scout on Jones, “He’s got high-end skill and he’s super smart. He can control a game. His skating is just OK, but I’d bet on a guy with his brain figuring out how to make himself an NHLer.”

84 - Michael Gildon, LW, USNTDP-USHL
June 21, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 194 pounds

Gildon had a fine season, particularly when he was playing at the USHL level as he steadily emerged as a quality scoring winger for the NTDP, often lining up on the left side of Jack Hughes and Cole Caufield. There’s nothing about Gildon’s game that wows you, but he has a few pro attributes that make him worth knowing. He’s a 6-foot-2 winger with some heaviness in his game. He’s got above-average skill and vision, and made enough skilled plays this season for me to think he’s got an NHL chance. Gildon plays hard at both ends of the rink, and can be a guy who wins a battle and then makes a play. His main issue is his heavy feet. It’s not the worst stride I’ve ever seen but his game lacks pace because of it.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ontario participation rates in minor hockey are down, almost every year. Hockey is growing in other places. Eventually this is the result.
Very down year for Ontario. 2020 should be a strong showing (Byfield, Perfetti, Drysdale, etc). This is the worst OHL class I've seen in a while, but I've expected it since the OHL draft year. Keep in mind most of the top kids for that OHL draft went USNTDP (Hughes, Turcotte, McCarthy, Vlasic, Beecher, etc). All of them are American, but Jack Hughes was essentially developed in the GTA. He played almost all his minor hockey for the hockey factory that is GTHL Toronto Marlboroughs.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Pronman just released his 2019 rankings. He goes into detail for the 107 prospects. His top 5 is, in order: Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Caufield.

Pronman's 2019 NHL Draft Board: Top 107 prospects

I'll post the 2 prospects he has ranked at our current draft position for fun.

He always has um interesting lists. From his rankings McMicheal is right there at our pick and Kolyachonok right after at 63.

Some other more well known names he has that are late in his ranking:

Drew Helleson - 62
Anttoni Honka - 75
Mikko Kokkonen - 78
Nolan Foote - 80
Henry Thrun - 81
Kaedan Korczak - 89

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He always has um interesting lists. From his rankings McMicheal is right there at our pick and Kolyachonok right after at 63.

Some other more well known names he has that are late in his ranking:

Drew Helleson - 62
Anttoni Honka - 75
Mikko Kokkonen - 78
Nolan Foote - 80
Henry Thrun - 81
Kaedan Korczak - 89

Yep. I appreciate the write ups on them though. I think it's important to note that he does have sections/categories and a lot of them could be swapped from within those categories.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Yep. I appreciate the write ups on them though. I think it's important to note that he does have sections/categories and a lot of them could be swapped from within those categories.

Ya, the article is downright amazing work. I mean, if you took the NHL draft results and posted it a month earlier as a "mock or ranking" people would absolutely critique the shit out of it and say whoever wrote was out to lunch. There's always surprise fallers and risers.

Reactions: SprDaVE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad