Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He always has um interesting lists. From his rankings McMicheal is right there at our pick and Kolyachonok right after at 63.

Some other more well known names he has that are late in his ranking:

Drew Helleson - 62
Anttoni Honka - 75
Mikko Kokkonen - 78
Nolan Foote - 80
Henry Thrun - 81
Kaedan Korczak - 89

I'm surprised some of those guys are as high as they are.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I kinda want the Leafs to grab a 1st somehow since I am going to take in the draft in Vancouver lol.

Reactions: Smif

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Foote is one of my definite favourites at The moment. Thomson probably isnt there but If he is then he 100%

Foote has boom-bust potential. He may be one of the better guys at our pick, but I wouldn't call him a slam dunk either. 3rd round for sure though.

Reactions: NCoRe

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Anyone else going or trying to go to the draft? Tickets were like $26 + tax + Ticketmaster fees....and all sold out.

Secondary market I think the cheapest is $140 USD. I guess I am not going or I will have to hit up a scalper closer to the date at this point.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Anyone else going or trying to go to the draft? Tickets were like $26 + tax + Ticketmaster fees....and all sold out.

Secondary market I think the cheapest is $140 USD. I guess I am not going or I will have to hit up a scalper closer to the date at this point.

If I was in Vancouver I'd be tempted to go for a look if I had the cash but at that cost with no Leafs pick in the 1st round that kind of financial outlay is hard to justify

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If I was in Vancouver I'd be tempted to go for a look if I had the cash but at that cost with no Leafs pick in the 1st round that kind of financial outlay is hard to justify

I'd go for the experience for $50-70, if I can't go for that price, forget it.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd go for the experience for $50-70, if I can't go for that price, forget it.

It's different if your team sucks and you've got a high pick like the Matthews and Marner drafts
I'd have paid good money to be at those drafts

If we get a mid to late first because of a trade before this draft I'd spend $100-120 on a ticket but if not forget it

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's different if your team sucks and you've got a high pick like the Matthews and Marner drafts
I'd have paid good money to be at those drafts

If we get a mid to late first because of a trade before this draft I'd spend $100-120 on a ticket but if not forget it

I was planning to go and didn't think it would be too difficult to get tickets based off previous drafts there was a lot of dead space. Ticketmaster shocked me yesterday and then checked stubhub etc today to see outrageous prices. Just gonna try the scalp route the night of and if it doesn't work out I will just go out to a good dinner in Vancouver. Wifey and I always wanted to go to BC anyway and I will have been there for a week at that point.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I was planning to go and didn't think it would be too difficult to get tickets based off previous drafts there was a lot of dead space. Ticketmaster shocked me yesterday and then checked stubhub etc today to see outrageous prices. Just gonna try the scalp route the night of and if it doesn't work out I will just go out to a good dinner in Vancouver. Wifey and I always wanted to go to BC anyway and I will have been there for a week at that point.

A Canadian city with a high pick, this draft was a decent bet to sell out with reasonably high ticket value on the secondary market

I can only imagine what a ticket would have cost if Toronto had of been hosting the Matthews or Marner drafts, those tickets would have been worth huge money

I could see us making a trade on the draft floor that could involve us getting highish picks back but that's a lot of money to spend on a maybe and in my experience wives enjoy a nice night out and $150-200 can give you a nice night out

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Must be weird attending the draft and just hearing silence between each pick.
I went to the Buffalo draft (the Matthews one). Yeah, it's a bit weird, but you end up talking a lot to the friends/family with you or to the people nearby. We spent a good chunk of time joking around with the Buffalo fans in front of us.

There were also a lot of nerds there who had the Hockey News Draft Special open and they were crossing out names, as the draft progressed. Hahaha!

I also saw a lot of extremely bored father/son combinations. Many people also left early. Some started to leave right after the top 10 were chosen.

I loved it, but it's definitely for the type of people who visit this thread and not for your everyday, fairweather fan.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Also, even if you're not a draft junky, I'd recommend for people to go just to see Gary Bettman. My god, I could not stop laughing every time he was on the mic! I just kept hearing O'dog. When he first got on the mic at the start, the booing was earth-shattering. To then hear his squeaky, New York voice over the booing made me lose it with laughter!

You'll definitely find tickets from scalpers. It's not that full in there. By pick 30, the place was half empty.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
With Lassi Thomson committing to Ilves (Liiga) next season, i'm even more on board with picking Kaeden Korczak as he'll get a lot of opportunity next season. Looks a lot like Pesce with his safe, defence first mentality and fluid skating.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I will be the first to admit that I know most of the players in this draft only from reading articles and watching youtube clips. That said, I have a few names that may be around at our pick and I'm interested to see if anyone has a strong opinion on them (sorry, it's hard to go back and read through the entire thread since last year). I see that Saint Blue mentioned Lassi (who is on my list and has a phenomenal first name). Here are the players and some strengths and needs I compiled from a couple of writers/scouts.

Afanasyev - LW -– huge, great skills, hard shot…..not consistent

Beecher - C – also huge, very good skater, physical …also inconsistent

Lassi Thomson - D - some on HF see him as having an elite skillset …..needs work on D

Reese - C – aggressive and intense…..a bit reckless

Grewe - RW – physical, skilled and has high compete level…….a bit reckless

Cajkovic - RW – first overall CHL import draft – great skill and speed….inconsistent

Firstov - LW - great offense – needs better defensive and physical play

Special hipster pick:

Puistola - LW – highly skilled, great puck handler…some skating issues. (Pronman has him at #19....others in the 40s and later)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
With Lassi Thomson committing to Ilves (Liiga) next season, i'm even more on board with picking Kaeden Korczak as he'll get a lot of opportunity next season. Looks a lot like Pesce with his safe, defence first mentality and fluid skating.

Why would playing in Finland next season deter you from picking him?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why would playing in Finland next season deter you from picking him?

I think you misunderstood his post. He didn't mention anything about picking Thompson, but they both play for Kelowna. He's saying Thompson leaving gives the other guy more playing time so he'd be more on board with picking the other guy. Whether that should influence a pick or not IDK, but that's what he meant I think.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think you misunderstood his post. He didn't mention anything about picking Thompson, but they both play for Kelowna. He's saying Thompson leaving gives the other guy more playing time so he'd be more on board with picking the other guy. Whether that should influence a pick or not IDK, but that's what he meant I think.

Ah, yeah.

Yeah, I don't think that wouldn't influence my feeling on prospect though.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Just take the centre is everything's equal this year.

This is the first draft since 2013 where I don't really care what happens with the Leafs pick.

Feels refreshing.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad