Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Still hitting me that we don’t have a 1st rounder this year.

Not complaining, but this years draft will be quite anticlimactic compared to previous years.....

I'm okay with just analyzing the other picks the Leafs make. They still have 7 so it's not going to be that boring TBH. 2nd round has a lot more bang-for-buck value than 1st round anyways.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Obviously it's impossible to know who'll be there but who do we realistically want at pick 56?

I like the following:

Nils Hoglander
Nathan Legare
Kaedyn Korczak
Jamieson Rees
Robert Mastrosimone
Mads Sogaard
Billy Constantinou

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Turris+4th overall for 1 1/2 years of Duchene didn't seem worth it.

That being said, Brady Tkachuk is probably more desirable then anything you'd get 4th overall in this years draft. My 2 cents.

Not on draft day imo. Sure Brady has looked great in the NHL so far, but he's well behind probably 10 prospects in this draft at the same age (imo he was in the last draft too, so what do I know).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Turris+4th overall for 1 1/2 years of Duchene didn't seem worth it.

That being said, Brady Tkachuk is probably more desirable then anything you'd get 4th overall in this years draft. My 2 cents.

TBH, I'd probably take a lot of those top 10 centers, and possibly even some of the defensemen like Bowen, before Tkachuk. At the very least I'd take guys like Dach and Cozens before Tkachuk.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
I like Filip Lindberg from U-Mass Amherst. NCAA title, lost in the Frozen 4 Finals. World Junior u20 Gold Medal. 934 Save % in the NCAA this year. 1999 born. Would be a solid mid round pick

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I like Filip Lindberg from U-Mass Amherst. NCAA title, lost in the Frozen 4 Finals. World Junior u20 Gold Medal. 934 Save % in the NCAA this year. 1999 born. Would be a solid mid round pick

Seems like his size is kind of a barrier. 6'0" is not huge and he posted good numbers last year in his D+1 season in the Finnish U20 league, which was good enough to put him on Central Scouting lists. Seems like if it wasn't a barrier, he likely would have been drafted last year. I just look at guys like Veini Vehvilainen who put up quality season after quality season and it wasn't until his D+3 year, where he was the goalie of the year in the Liiga as a 20 year old, until he was worth a pick as a 6th rounder...

Another thing to note is that he didn't even play the most amount of games for that team. Matt Murray did. I think there are a lot of things, possibly too many things, going against him to be worth a draft pick. Best case, it would be a late round pick made by a scout who saw something they really liked about him, but there are just so many strong goalie options this year that I do not think too many OA goalies are going to be taken. Most of the good 99's would have been taken in the 2018 draft when the goalies were weak.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Obviously it's impossible to know who'll be there but who do we realistically want at pick 56?

I like the following:

Nils Hoglander
Nathan Legare
Kaedyn Korczak
Jamieson Rees
Robert Mastrosimone
Mads Sogaard
Billy Constantinou
Sogaard got peppered this year, easily the best numbers considering workload amongst those other draft eligibke western goalies (faced 8-10 shots more a game than some of them).

He's a big awkward goalie but we could afford to take our time with him with Scott and Woll in the system starting next year. I wouldn't mind adding him.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I'm still on the Ethan Keppen bandwagon for our first pick...6'2" 215 lbs with skill and 30 goals and 59 points on a very bad team (Flint) and is a left winger which is an organizational weakness.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm okay with just analyzing the other picks the Leafs make. They still have 7 so it's not going to be that boring TBH. 2nd round has a lot more bang-for-buck value than 1st round anyways.
2nd rounds rarely have much difference in value year to year. It's unlikely to differentiate much from the usual 15 to 20 chance of getting something of actual value (top 9 forward, top 5 D man, starting goalie). There may be a few more guys people like, but it rarely changes much year to year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Who should we be hoping (realistically) can fall to our first pick?

Kolyachonok is my top pick, but he probably won't make it to our pick anymore. Same with Poulin.

If we are going someone who is truly likely available at 56, Robert Mastrosimone would be a really good idea. He's smaller, but if he can grow to Kadri size, we have a guy who would be perfect for a 2C/3C role down the line.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Kolyachonok is my top pick, but he probably won't make it to our pick anymore. Same with Poulin.

If we are going someone who is truly likely available at 56, Robert Mastrosimone would be a really good idea. He's smaller, but if he can grow to Kadri size, we have a guy who would be perfect for a 2C/3C role down the line.

Yeah, I love Kolya but I have almost 0 faith in him dropping to us unfortunately.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think this is my ideal draft scenario right now.

56th Overall - D Marshall Warren/W Bobby Brink/D Thomas Harley
87th Overall - W Cole Mackay/W Bobby Brink/D Thomas Harley
113th Overall - C Alexei Protas
118th Overall - G Dustin Wolf
149th Overall - W Daniel Antropov
204th Overall - D Drew Helleson
211th Overall - D Ludvig Hedstrom

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, I love Kolya but I have almost 0 faith in him dropping to us unfortunately.

I just like his approach to the game off of the ice. You can tell he loves the game and wants to get better just based on the amount of work and effort he puts in to improve.

I would consider drafting anyone with that kind of work ethic, regardless of their skill (assuming it's good enough to be considered for an NHL draft pick in the first place).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I don't think Harley falls that late. Same with Brink. If they are not 1st round guys, someone has got to take them early 2nd.

I do believe Harley is going to drop later than his rankings indicate (a lot of them have him in the early 20's or late teens) because he is very raw and has a lot he needs to work on, but I don't think he drops past 40 either. He's one of the later birthdays in this draft, has size and puck moving ability with a decent defensive game, and put up like a 0.8 PPG as a defenseman. If a team took a chance on Hague in the 30's, someone will take a chance on Harley there too. He has a lot more upside than most defensemen in this draft.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I have both Brink and Harley in my top-10. If either one drops to us, I'd be over the moon.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Is Antropov just a nostalgia pick or do you actually see him getting drafted?

He looked like a stud talent coming out of his Minor Midget year in the GTHL but hasn't really put it together at the OHL level. Seems like one of those guys that will get invited to a development camp in early July after going undrafted.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

If the Leafs have a chance to draft Harley in the late 2nd round, I would make back flips. I don't think he makes it that far, let alone to the 3rd round. He's way too good to make it that far.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't think Harley falls that late. Same with Brink. If they are not 1st round guys, someone has got to take them early 2nd.

I do believe Harley is going to drop later than his rankings indicate (a lot of them have him in the early 20's or late teens) because he is very raw and has a lot he needs to work on, but I don't think he drops past 40 either. He's one of the later birthdays in this draft, has size and puck moving ability with a decent defensive game, and put up like a 0.8 PPG as a defenseman. If a team took a chance on Hague in the 30's, someone will take a chance on Harley there too. He has a lot more upside than most defensemen in this draft.

I don’t think Harley or Brink will be there either, which is why they are my 2nd and 3rd picks there. But I could see Harley falling

I have both Brink and Harley in my top-10. If either one drops to us, I'd be over the moon.

Yeah I don’t think either will be there but if there are I want them.

Is Antropov just a nostalgia pick or do you actually see him getting drafted?

He looked like a stud talent coming out of his Minor Midget year in the GTHL but hasn't really put it together at the OHL level. Seems like one of those guys that will get invited to a development camp in early July after going undrafted.

He’ll be drafted. A lot of skill there. Nostalgia makes it a bit easier to be the one to take the chance, but I think he goes whether it’s us or someone else.

If the Leafs have a chance to draft Harley in the late 2nd round, I would make back flips. I don't think he makes it that far, let alone to the 3rd round. He's way too good to make it that far.

Oh I agree. Again I only list him because I could see him dropping, even if it’s not likely. Warren is the “realistic” pick in round 2.

Reactions: SprDaVE and Morgs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad