NHL and NHLPA finalize agreement for RTP Stage 3

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
1. It isn’t about the bubble. It is about priority. Why does a sport get a priority over family?
2. “most” non-essential. There are many people who are still out of work. I have no problem with hockey starting up. I have a problem with people allowed to cross the border for NON essential business when we have NON essential businesses here where people are still losing money and many people not allowed to have their family see each other to cross the border.
You've already said you could fly across to the US and drive anywhere. So you are indeed allowed. You'd have to quarantine when you got there, and the NHL players will be in a bubble and not allowed out. What's the difference?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
1. It isn’t about the bubble. It is about priority. Why does a sport get a priority over family?
2. “most” non-essential. There are many people who are still out of work. I have no problem with hockey starting up. I have a problem with people allowed to cross the border for NON essential business when we have NON essential businesses here where people are still losing money and many people not allowed to have their family see each other to cross the border.
Every non-essential business can open in Edmonton, outside of night clubs.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

What about the people who will have a job again if the NHL does play? Do you care about them?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You've already said you could fly across to the US and drive anywhere. So you are indeed allowed. You'd have to quarantine when you got there, and the NHL players will be in a bubble and not allowed out. What's the difference?

The pearls they are clutching.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Correct... the public health consideration should be the priority. The NHL returning under the current scenario has no negative public health impact while what you are suggesting (reopening leisure travel to everyone) is much more dangerous.
I never said reopening For leisure travel. I said Visiting family. Either way. They are crossing the border and the government Is giving special treatment to athletes and not regular citizens.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
The difference is not everyone can afford to fly Due to cost and limited flights available. Huge difference.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
What about the people who will have a job again if the NHL does play? Do you care about them?
Never said that. I care about the people close to me who still cannot work as well. But people are allowed to travel up here to play a sport. this is about giving people priority to cross the border over other people

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Never said that. I care about the people close to me who still cannot work as well. But people are allowed to travel up here to play a sport. this is about giving people priority to cross the border over other people

Great, you care about your friends and family, thats a good thing. However the NHl playing will help a lot more people that your fmaily/social circle when it comes to work.

I am not seeing how travel affects local workers. If you are speaking about people who cross the boarder for work... that can sitll be done with a 14day quarentine.

Reactions: joestevens29

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The difference is not everyone can afford to fly Due to cost and limited flights available. Huge difference.
Life isn't fair or equal. it never has been and never will be. We do out best to give everyone the oportunity (or at least we should), but not being able to fly is not something that is anywhere close to the top of the equality list.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Life isn't fair or equal. it never has been and never will be. We do out best to give everyone the oportunity (or at least we should), but not being able to fly is not something that is anywhere close to the top of the equality list.
I never said life wasn’t fair. All I am saying is that there should be something in place for people in these situations where they can see family.
I look at our good friend. Runs a fitness facility. Lost tens of thousands of dollars and not allowed to open up. His wife is from outside Rochester. They can’t travel to see her parents with the kids. She can go but she has to quarantine when she gets back and because they are already out tens of thousands of dollars and are probably going to lose their business she can’t afford to quarantine and miss pay for two weeks.
But let’s get the athletes up here and get them on the ice the NHL doesn’t lose money.
Sorry. You let the NHL players up here And pay for covid tests that are not accurate and still high risks of passing it.
Yet someone can’t drive up here from another country to visit family pay for a test and quarantine in someone’s house for two weeks.
I get it’s a tough thing to control.
My wife was recently allowed to start her business up. She could’ve easily had a bubble and made it work but no we lost thousands of dollars as well. no exception was made for her business.
same with my brothers business. No exceptions.
Yet NHL which is Non essential, border crossing traffic is an exception.
Thousands of people lost more than a little bit of money.
They lost a lot. They never got to say good bye to loved ones.
And they had reasons. But no exceptions were ever made. For anybody. But athletes? Yeah. Let’s bend the rules.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I never said life wasn’t fair. All I am saying is that there should be something in place for people in these situations where they can see family.
I look at our good friend. Runs a fitness facility. Lost tens of thousands of dollars and not allowed to open up. His wife is from outside Rochester. They can’t travel to see her parents with the kids. She can go but she has to quarantine when she gets back and because they are already out tens of thousands of dollars and are probably going to lose their business she can’t afford to quarantine and miss pay for two weeks.
But let’s get the athletes up here and get them on the ice the NHL doesn’t lose money.
Sorry. You let the NHL players up here And pay for covid tests that are not accurate and still high risks of passing it.
Yet someone can’t drive up here from another country to visit family pay for a test and quarantine in someone’s house for two weeks.
My wife was recently allowed to start her business up. She could’ve easily had a bubble and made it work but no we lost thousands of dollars as well. no exception was made for her business.
And they had reasons. But no exceptions were ever made. For anybody. But athletes? Yeah. Let’s bend the rules.
What rules? The NHL didn't put this plan into motion in April. They had to wait like everybody else.

Reactions: joestevens29

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
And the NHL coming there will actually help this.
For some people yes. But is it about those people? No it’s about the millions of dollars made by television rights and corporations. If those games were not televised they would not be doing this.
Many of those people out of work that are now getting paid we’re probably making just as much money staying home on CERB.

If you beleive they are starting the NHL back up to help the small percentage of people cooking and cleaning for these players then I think you’re pretty naive.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For some people yes. But is it about those people? No it’s about the millions of dollars made by television rights and corporations. If those games were not televised they would not be doing this.
Many of those people out of work that are now getting paid we’re probably making just as much money staying home on CERB.

If you beleive they are starting the NHL back up to help the small percentage of people cooking and cleaning for these players then I think you’re pretty naive.
People working isn't just about money. Gives them a purpose and helps their mental health.

That and I'll take the 20-30mil economic boost at a time where our economy is the worse it's been since I can remember.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

I'm sorry, but this level of thinking isn't worth a response. Until you give up the thought of "this is unfair" and thinking that one group going to work has any sort of effect on the other, you aren't worth discussing this with.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Of course they're doing it for the money. The fact that people will need to be hired for it is just part of it. So what?
You're saying the NHL shouldn't be allowed to spend millions of dollars on the protective bubble with the advice of experts until you don't have to quarantine for 14 days after crossing the border? They're not coming to Toronto to visit their relatives. They're coming in to live in isolation and do their jobs.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Of course they're doing it for the money. The fact that people will need to be hired for it is just part of it. So what?
You're saying the NHL shouldn't be allowed to spend millions of dollars on the protective bubble with the advice of experts until you don't have to quarantine for 14 days after crossing the border? They're not coming to Toronto to visit their relatives. They're coming in to live in isolation and do their jobs.
Yeah and my wife wanted to do the same thing with her business but wasn’t allowed to beCause it was deemed non essential to the government.
But a hockey game is essential? It doesn’t matter if it provides millions to the economy or not. zero dollars were in our pockets when we could’ve controlled it.

Look up the word essential.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah and my wife wanted to do the same thing with her business but wasn’t allowed to beCause it was deemed non essential to the government.
But a hockey game is essential? It doesn’t matter if it provides millions to the economy or not. zero dollars were in our pockets when we could’ve controlled it.

Look up the word essential.
You said she was allowed to start back up now. The NHL is doing this plan now, not back in April during the thick of the pandemic. Understand?

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad