NHL and NHLPA finalize agreement for RTP Stage 3

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
But they were both closed until now. Why do you keep harping on it? Where's the disconnect in your thinking.
Covid19 is still an important issue. And can get worse. We are still following rules and IMO deeming something that is NEVER essential an essential business opening up when we still have cases and problems is not fair for the people that had businesses that they could’ve controlled properly but were not allowed because they were deemed NOT essential.
I don’t agree with the government changing their opinions on what is essential and what is not.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The fact that we have a plan to beginning with. It's all business, you know it, I know it. Peoples live should matter more than your entertainment. And most players, if what we read is true, don't even want to be part of it...
No one's life is in danger due to the NHL returning though. That's a great big false leap in logic to assume that the NHL returning will kill people.
In fact, it actually makes everyone involved a lot safer.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Covid19 is still an important issue. And can get worse. We are still following rules and IMO deeming something that is NEVER essential an essential business opening up when we still have cases and problems is not fair for the people that had businesses that they could’ve controlled properly but were not allowed because they were deemed NOT essential.
I don’t agree with the government changing their opinions on what is essential and what is not.
You're not making much sense. Nothing that is opening up right now is being deemed essential. That's the whole point. The word 'essential' is irrelevant here.
The NHL could have had a controlled relaunch in some way earlier too but they weren't allowed. Explain the difference between the NHL and your wife's business without also combining it with your gripe that you can't drive across the border.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I don’t know why but I get this feeling his wife is reading this over his shoulder and if he concedes even a tiny bit he’s a dead man lol.
Amusing conversation tho
Yeah. That’s it exactly.
Reality. hockey is a game?
Being told to stay home and what you can and can’t do for months because of a virus is reality.
When you have the opportunity to run a business and the government tells you it can’t because it is non essential and then allows the NHL to come in as an “essential”business into the same city that up until last week you couldn’t run a business then you’re damn right I have a problem with it.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You're not making much sense. Nothing that is opening up right now is being deemed essential. That's the whole point. The word 'essential' is irrelevant here.
The NHL could have controlled a relaunch in someway earlier too but they weren't allowed. Explain the difference between the NHL wife's business without also combining it with your gripe that you can't drive across the border.
Essential is far from irrelevant. It’s been the actual word being used to justify what can be open or closed or used for months now.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Essential is far from irrelevant. It’s been the actual word being used to justify what can be open or closed or used for months now.
In the beginning, everything but essential services (grocery stores, power) was closed.
Show me the quote from the government, or other body that says the NHL is now essential and that is why they are able to have their season in the bubble in August.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That’s Not the case.
It definitely is the case!

I have had family members (with dual citizenship) already do this, and I have checked Canada's coronavirus website multiple times and called them on the telephone multiple times. If you google you can find the Canadian government website yourself.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Who can travel to Canada – citizens, permanent residents, foreign nationals and refugees - Canada.ca

Who can enter Canada

You can travel to and enter Canada if you’re a
  • Canadian citizen
  • permanent resident of Canada
  • person registered under Canada’s Indian Act
  • protected person
If you decide to peruse this website, be sure to click on the link called Quarantine requirement.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It definitely is the case!

I have had family members (with dual citizenship) already do this, and I have checked Canada's coronavirus website multiple times and called them on the telephone multiple times. If you google you can find the Canadian government website yourself.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Who can travel to Canada – citizens, permanent residents, foreign nationals and refugees - Canada.ca

Who can enter Canada

You can travel to and enter Canada if you’re a
  • Canadian citizen
  • permanent resident of Canada
  • person registered under Canada’s Indian Act
  • protected person
If you decide to peruse this website, be sure to click on the link called Quarantine requirement.
That’s not the case. They are not canadian. And they are not allowed to leave as it is non essential. You are not allowed to leave to just visit family.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
You seem to be in agreement that COVID19 is no joke so I'm not sure I follow your logic... the NHL allowing approx. 1,000-1,500 people to travel one-way to two hub cities and staying in the bubble for several weeks is much safer (from a public health perspective) than allowing millions of people to travel for leisure. IMO, you're making a false comparison.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
In the beginning, everything but essential services (grocery stores, power) was closed.
Show me the quote from the government, or other body that says the NHL is now essential and that is why they are able to have their season in the bubble in August.
the season starts later this month from what I read.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I believe the quote reads this:

"$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You seem to be in agreement that COVID19 is no joke so I'm not sure I follow your logic... the NHL allowing approx. 1,000-1,500 people to travel one-way to two hub cities and staying in the bubble for several weeks is much safer than allowing millions of people to travel for leisure. IMO, you're making a false comparison.
People can still get sick In That bubble. What happens. Everyone stays in that bubble? Or do they get people and quarantine them and put some in hospitals infecting the rest of the public.
It comes down to this.
NHL-government trusts that business and every single person working In That bubble and allowing them to open for a hockey game. Deemed essential
Small business -even though some of you are essential we are going to deem it non essential and not trust you or anyone and not allow you to open up business.
COVID is still an issue and not gone. Therefore hockey Currently isn’t essential.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can you address anything else I asked?
You think you and millions of other people should be allowed to drive across the border to visit whoever right now because the NHL is allowed to have a small gathering in a bubble.
A small bubble where they spent months with various health experts trying to figure out how to make it the safest for everyone involved.

It's not like everything is closed and somehow the NHL just decided to start up.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Can you address anything else I asked?
You think you and millions of other people should be allowed to drive across the border to visit whoever right now because the NHL is allowed to have a small gathering in a bubble.
No I don’t. I don’t think they should be and that is exactly why I don’t th ink the NHL should start up.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That’s not the case. They are not canadian.

Who is "they"? Is "they" the family member(s) you are talking about that wants to visit Canada?

If the person is not a Canadian citizen, then yes, its probably not allowed. Hard to tell what your situation is though based on what you've typed so far.

BTW, I can understand the optics & sentiment you are expressing when it comes the word or concept of "being essential" as its used in context of allowing cross border travel.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Who is "they"? Is "they" the family member(s) you are talking about that wants to visit Canada?

If the person is not a Canadian citizen, then yes, its probably not allowed. Hard to tell what your situation is though based on what you've typed so far.
She is from the states got married here and had a family here. Many families at the border are NOT allowed to visit when driving over.
If you live beat ste Catherine’s you can’t drive the hour to get to Rochester.
You. And drive the hour twenty to Toronto and sit in a poorly circulated airplane that will take you to Chicago for one or maybe two stop overs and over $500 and 8 hours of flying To get to buffalo and then drive. Or you can have a direct flight o NYC and then drive the 5-6 hours to get back to Rochester area for about $250.
It can be done. But a lot less healthy with unnecessary travel and cost and in an airplane which is a terrible way to travel during covid19. That’s just her. Not her kids who would like to see their grandparents

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I mean do you think they pose the same risk to public health
What we’ve learned is we have no idea who poses a health risk which is why we have had strict rules in place That seem to be swept under the rug for the NHL

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I mean do you think they pose the same risk to public health
Also. I’m sure if you had a business that was told to shutdown and then the government allows the NHL to open up you’d be pretty pissed. Our business easily could’ve been controlled but the government said NOPE. But we were OK with that. We understood. We were frustrated that it could’ve been opened and wished the government could listen to an individual case LIKE THEY DID WITH THE NHL.
Yet we still have numerous cases reported everyday and this business is allowed and we are out tens of thousands of dollars. Much of our retirement fund is gone.
Yet millionAires are allowed to plaY that is complete horseshit.
Ask people who have been told to shut down their business what they think.
Getting unemployment or cerb doesn’t make it to bad. But business have lots of overhead you still have to pay.
Do you really think people who lost that much money when the government forced them to shutdown but allows a hockey game to open up while we STILL have a pandemic is okay with people.
For the people still living in mommy’s basement who want to watch hockey of course it’s not a problem. But the double standard is strong on this.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What we’ve learned is we have no idea who poses a health risk which is why we have had strict rules in place That seem to be swept under the rug for the NHL
You're po'd because on the one hand, millions aren't permitted to flood across the border both ways during a pandemic, and on the other a small group is permitted to fly across the border to do a job(which you've decided is frivolous) in isolation. Because your own personal inclination wasn't satisfied.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You're po'd because on the one hand, millions aren't permitted to flood across the border both ways during a pandemic, and on the other a small group is permitted to fly across the border to do a job(which you've decided is frivolous) in isolation. Because you're own personal inclination wasn't satisfied.
no. It’s the government deciding what is essential and not doing a good job of it.
I do t think it’s fair that a bunch of millionaires should be allowed to work up here while taking private chartered flights while people can’t visit a family member across the border. Those people come here to play hockey and other people told to bad you can’t run your business. when you lose tens of thousands of dollars you’d be pissed as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad