NHL and NHLPA finalize agreement for RTP Stage 3

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
All of this per the Twitter feed of TSN's Bob McKenzie. I'll summarize it.

*The RTP and CBA package will have to be ratified by the NHLPA Exec. Committee and then a full vote of membership, but not until the Memo of Understanding is complete...and the league's Board of Governors has to ratify it as well.

*30 skaters in Phase 3 and an unlimited number of goalies; only those eligible to play in the resumption can skate in this phase.

*Any player can opt out of the next 2 phases without penalty; however, the player must make that decision and tell his team in writing by July 7th(Tuesday). Teams have until July 9th(Thursday)to submit lists of the participating players.

*There's a breakdown of players returning to their home cities and how long they have to quarantine(anywhere from 7 to 14 days)depending on a number of circumstances(transportation, where they're coming from, etc.)

*SPEAKING of testing: Players and personnel will be tested within 48 hours of arriving at training facilities and every other day after that; results will be available within 24 hours. IF it doesn't come in within that time frame, the player can't enter the training facility until there's a negative result. Temperature and symptom checks will be at home and the training facility. If a player hasn't already had a PPME in Stage 2, they'll receive it before Stage 3.

*And then there's this: If a player is determined to be at risk of developing a serious illness due to exposure to coronavirus, they will be deemed unfit to play and are out of Stage 3 and Stage 4. The player can get a second opinion. If they develop symptoms, they have to notify the medical staff..self-isolate...and undergo testing protocols if needed. If a player develops COVID-19 or any other illness due to it, it'll be treated as a hockey-related injury under the CBA.

*And just one more thing: There will be NO disclosure by a club to the media or the public re positive test results or a person developing COVID like symptoms without prior approval by the league in consultation with the PA.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Renaud Lavoie of TVA adds that a player's family will be allowed to join them for the Conference Finals and the Stanley Cup Final. AND they'll be allowed to share the room.

But, wait, there's more! If a club fails to comply with the protocols, they risk significant financial penalties as well as the loss of draft picks.

Last edited:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Good news, assuming all goes well. Still technically not done yet.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If a player happens to be hurt and can not play are the coaches going to publicly say what their injury is and not just go with the standard of saying upper body and lower body? The media might think they aren't playing because they came down with Covid-19.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If a player happens to be hurt and can not play are the coaches going to publicly say what their injury is and not just go with the standard of saying upper body and lower body? The media might think they aren't playing because they came down with Covid-19.

Probably not, because then people will just assume that everyone they don't specific is Covid. Better to just give no info about any of them.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I don't get why families can't join the players earlier, in the NBA it's after the 1st round, that may cause some players to drop out. Also is there any explanation of why Toronto is playing in the East and Edmonton in the West? Big advantage for them, I figured they'd have the East in Edmonton and West in Toronto.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I don't get why families can't join the players earlier, in the NBA it's after the 1st round, that may cause some players to drop out. Also is there any explanation of why Toronto is playing in the East and Edmonton in the West? Big advantage for them, I figured they'd have the East in Edmonton and West in Toronto.

Big advantage how? There’s no fans in attendance.

It makes more sense for people working at these games to have the time zones line up... a 10pm game in Toronto (Let’s say Vegas vs. Vancouver) means you’re working until 1am at least.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Big advantage how? There’s no fans in attendance.

It makes more sense for people working at these games to have the time zones line up... a 10pm game in Toronto (Let’s say Vegas vs. Vancouver) means you’re working until 1am at least.
I think sleeping in your own bed and seeing your family regularly helps but nothing earth shattering

Reactions: Merrrlin

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder how signficant the opt-out will be. If too many players use it, that would make the tournament disappointing.

It's the one factor that could give major weight to those who say this tourament will have an asterix: one that questions the validity of this whole thing.

But either way it was worth it for the NHL to do this. It looks like there will still be big money for everyone to gain out of this, even with all the overhead costs, and more importantly I do believe Bettman when he says the main focus is to maintain focus and interest in the league. You have to keep that continuity going. The lockout seasons were damaging enough as it is

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I just want to know with the gigantic amount of testing the NHL will be doing, they are not taking away supplies from the general population?

Duly noted....but Canada(to the best of my knowledge)hasn't had the problems with access to testing(and supplies to conduct the tests)that the U.S. has had.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
When you are running full days.... You gotta have some hospitality staff.

These aren't bagged lunch type o' people ya know ;)

True. But I used to work game nights for the Sabres(not inside the arena; the company that handles the concessions also operates the parking ramp connected to the KeyBank Center as well as a nearby lot-and I was part of the parking game-night staff)and it requires dozens of people to run all of the stands, as well as cooks, etc. It's likely that a fraction of the normal amount needed for a regular game would be used in Edmonton & Toronto for the tournament & playoffs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I wonder how signficant the opt-out will be. If too many players use it, that would make the tournament disappointing.

It's the one factor that could give major weight to those who say this tourament will have an asterix: one that questions the validity of this whole thing.

But either way it was worth it for the NHL to do this. It looks like there will still be big money for everyone to gain out of this, even with all the overhead costs, and more importantly I do believe Bettman when he says the main focus is to maintain focus and interest in the league. You have to keep that continuity going. The lockout seasons were damaging enough as it is

I can't imagine the opt-out would be too significant. Probably for the wrong reasons though.

You seem to be an Oiler fan. McDavid/Drai healthy and rested after the season they just had, im sure Oiler fans think they have a serious shot at playoffs. Now imagine the public backlash if McDavid says "yeah im not playing" and they lose in 3. Or worst - they win the cup without him. And if McDavid doesn't do it but Nurse opts out and they lose everyone will hate on him and say "damn we would have won! I can't believe Nurse let us all down...". Or the goalie. And so on.

Its a really tricky situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->