NHL and NHLPA finalize agreement for RTP Stage 3

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I just want to know with the gigantic amount of testing the NHL will be doing, they are not taking away supplies from the general population?
In Bettman’s press conference when announcing the RTP plan he said this only happens if they could get the testing kits ethically. If Canada was running rampant and needed the tests, they wouldn’t have moved forward.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I don't get why families can't join the players earlier, in the NBA it's after the 1st round, that may cause some players to drop out. Also is there any explanation of why Toronto is playing in the East and Edmonton in the West? Big advantage for them, I figured they'd have the East in Edmonton and West in Toronto.

I am guessing it's them because they were 2 of the only cities in Canada who were willing to do it. For example, Vancouver was likely a top runner but shoo'd the NHL away.

That leaves Winnipeg (could they handle it, logistically? Enough quality hotel rooms, transportation, etc?), Montreal (I believe Quebec was still struggling during the initial proposals) and Calgary.

Not sure why Calgary wasn't really involved.

Besides, it won't be much of an advantage if neither actually get into the playoff rounds :D

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I am guessing it's them because they were 2 of the only cities in Canada who were willing to do it. For example, Vancouver was likely a top runner but shoo'd the NHL away.

That leaves Winnipeg (could they handle it, logistically? Enough quality hotel rooms, transportation, etc?), Montreal (I believe Quebec was still struggling during the initial proposals) and Calgary.

Not sure why Calgary wasn't really involved.

Besides, it won't be much of an advantage if neither actually get into the playoff rounds :D
Old rink with not much in the way of hotels or infrastructure adjacent to it.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
In Bettman’s press conference when announcing the RTP plan he said this only happens if they could get the testing kits ethically. If Canada was running rampant and needed the tests, they wouldn’t have moved forward.

Our health authority in Alberta has said that the NHL is buying these tests privately, not taking them from the public.

If the NHL didn't contract for these tests, they would have never existed.

This isn't the early weeks of Covid. Today, most governments have all the testing they want according to their targets. The factories are pumping them out.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I just want to know with the gigantic amount of testing the NHL will be doing, they are not taking away supplies from the general population?
My understanding is, in Canada our test limit isn't based on availability of the tests, but the man power to process. If the tests are being done by a private company then capacity won't be effected for the public.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Surprised the virtue signalers haven't taken over this thread accusing the NHL of committing mass murder yet.

Toronto,who as a city was one of the worst in Canada had 0 deaths yesterday and only 151 new cases province wide. They wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on.

If this were happening in ANY American city, I would be chastising the NHL like everyone else.

Reactions: Dominance

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I am sure the US could use these millions of tests that are going to be produced for this event.

Reactions: Puckclektr

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I am sure the US could use these millions of tests that are going to be produced for this event.

there's the virtue signalling

If the league was smart they purchase or make a donation to produce more tests the equivalent amount they are using and take it as a tax writeoff. Economics works that if there is more money in the system then there is more opportunity to produce goods - otherwise the government has to do it. Correct me if I am wrong business majors.

--

Some might be surprised at least one American city wasn't chosen and to me it's pretty obvious why: having it one country doesn't run into the issue of delays and border crossing, especially if one team member gets detected at the border stopping the whole team, delaying games, and giving officials a reason to call foul in this is election season.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Something is confusing me here. So apparently Vancouver was passed on by the NHL because there was a disagreement on how to handle asymptomatic positive cases. NHL wanted to soldier on, BC officials wanted that player to isolate.

But from what I'm reading about the RTP protocols an asymptomatic player *is* required to isolate / quarantine until he is deemed COVID free.

Is so then why was Vancouver passed over?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
So it sounds like if a bubble team GM wants a shot at Lafreniere he can just ask his whole team to opt out and they can comply "for any reason" and just basically forfeit.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Something is confusing me here. So apparently Vancouver was passed on by the NHL because there was a disagreement on how to handle asymptomatic positive cases. NHL wanted to soldier on, BC officials wanted that player to isolate.

But from what I'm reading about the RTP protocols an asymptomatic player *is* required to isolate / quarantine until he is deemed COVID free.

I think the Vancouver protocols called for everything stopping in the event of 1 positive case.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So it sounds like if a bubble team GM wants a shot at Lafreniere he can just ask his whole team to opt out and they can comply "for any reason" and just basically forfeit.

No GM would ask their players to do that and no player would listen to it anyway.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If that GM would win Lafreniere, the first thing he'd do is try to create a winning atmosphere, which means getting rid of all the players who agreed to surrender, haha

But even worse, if it leaked that there was something like that going on, there is potential for severe consequences. Everything seems to leak nowadays

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Our health authority in Alberta has said that the NHL is buying these tests privately, not taking them from the public.

If the NHL didn't contract for these tests, they would have never existed.

This isn't the early weeks of Covid. Today, most governments have all the testing they want according to their targets. The factories are pumping them out.

Yeah, Alberta has been so far ahead of the curve in terms of testing. Anyone can get tested any time and get a result in 24hrs. There's no shortage of testing whatsoever. The testing capacity is higher than testing demand right now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

what I heard was that BC wanted the event to be shut down or paused after 4 Covid cases. Since there are hundreds of players, staff etc that seemed much.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I think it’s bullshit that the NHL is allowing people to come In From other countries to my city to play hockey while My family cannot come to visit me in Toronto or I cannot cross the border to see them. I’m not the only one in this situation.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

They must have wanted a more drastic response. Asymptomatic super spreaders are probably the biggest issue with this thing so I don’t think the NHL would allow them to play only to literally infect the entire league.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think it’s bullshit that the NHL is allowing people to come In From other countries to my city to play hockey while My family cannot come to visit me in Toronto or I cannot cross the border to see them. I’m not the only one in this situation.

You know they are leaving their families to play right?

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
If that GM would win Lafreniere, the first thing he'd do is try to create a winning atmosphere, which means getting rid of all the players who agreed to surrender, haha

But even worse, if it leaked that there was something like that going on, there is potential for severe consequences. Everything seems to leak nowadays

You’d like to think the league would come down real hard on that.
I mean they explicitly said "any player may opt out without penalty".
Is a GM not allowed to tell his players "I want to draft Lafreniere"?
What exactly would they punish here?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
People have been travelling around Canada and the US the entire pandemic. Is cross border travel at zero?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I feel for you in that situation but it's not so simple. They aren't just letting the NHL do what it wants because they are the NHL. It only could happen with the crazy level of safety the NHL is imposing, a level of safety that the government is not prepared to do for the general public.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You know they are leaving their families to play right?
Yeah. Tough. Your getting paid millions. You maybe can not see your family for five weeks. Many of us haven’t seen our family for 3-4 months. Why are they allowed to cross the border for a game?

Reactions: Beville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad