Player Discussion Marner Talk

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You risk him walking for nothing or having to overpay him. Cut bait as soon as possible. I think the writing is on the wall at this point.

The last thing we want is to waste another year of Matthews and Nylanders prime. Can't afford it. Maybe JT and Marner would perform better in their contract year playoffs. We shouldn't care/

Ship them asap.

With a little luck, some GM might convince himself Marner only sucked in playoffs here and give us something back, but get them both out even if we get nothing back. Cap space + locker room reset is what we need. Replacing Keefe and Sammy is not doing it.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
The last thing we want is to waste another year of Matthews and Nylanders prime. Can't afford it. Maybe JT and Marner would perform better in their contract year playoffs. We shouldn't care/

Ship them asap.

With a little luck, some GM might convince himself Marner only sucked in playoffs here and give us something back, but get them both out even if we get nothing back. Cap space + locker room reset is what we need. Replacing Keefe and Sammy is not doing it.

I'd say it's safe bet. Marner can bust his ass for a season, ink another undeserved massive deal then coast in the playoffs until retirement.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You have IMO pointed out the weakness in the argument well.

Teams pay for production, Marner produces points, not as expensive as goals (see our 70 goal contract). Like I said in another post if Mitch and Willy have similar seasons to last, this season, it would be hard to may mitch more that Willy at that point.
Teams do pay for point totals based on regular season play but playoff teams trying to improve their Cup odds do not trade for players who do not add playoff value .. so our ONLY chance to get any value for Mitch is this summer .. he can't be moved at TDL as no one wants a weak plug in playoffs .. but their are non playoff teams who will want his 100 pts during regular season play as it may help them make playoffs which will improve their financial cash positions .. gotta remember 30-50% of nhl teams struggle to make their operating obligations each season and need more season ticket subscribers so those teams will have much more interest .. nhl is now a capital gains league for billionaires with ever increasing valuations .. but Mitch likely does not want to to go to those teams

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Teams do pay for point totals based on regular season play but playoff teams trying to improve their Cup odds do not trade for players who do not add playoff value .. so our ONLY chance to get any value for Mitch is this summer .. he can't be moved at TDL as no one wants a weak plug in playoffs .. but their are non playoff teams who will want his 100 pts during regular season play as it may help them make playoffs which will improve their financial cash positions .. gotta remember 30-50% of nhl teams struggle to make their operating obligations each season and need more season ticket subscribers so those teams will have much more interest .. nhl is now a capital gains league for billionaires with ever increasing valuations .. but Mitch likely does not want to to go to those teams
But there are young-ish teams just on the cusp (Detroit, Philly, even Seattle) who need that regular season hero to push them into the PO picture. After that, the rest is gravy so they may gamble that he can push them to the dance and then maybe finally elevate his game to post season level.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Marner was spoiled with that contract dubas gave him. Huge max bonus every July, NMC asap, overpaid caphit. Marner will quickly realize he won’t get all of those luxuries with another nhl team. There are very few teams who will do those massive July 1 bonus structures. I think marner gets 9.5-10.5 mil max per. He is sniffing glue if he thinks some team pays him 12 mil or more

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Marner was spoiled with that contract dubas gave him. Huge max bonus every July, NMC asap, overpaid caphit. Marner will quickly realize he won’t get all of those luxuries with another nhl team. There are very few teams who will do those massive July 1 bonus structures. I think marner gets 9.5-10.5 mil max per. He is sniffing glue if he thinks some team pays him 12 mil or more

Good point. TO is one of the few teams who are willing to severely front load contracts. I just wish he didn't have a NMC. The thought of shipping him to destitute Columbus or Utah is very appealing.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It sucks that we suck so bad that Nylander is considered 'clutch' on this current team. Clutch is Martin Gelinas or Justin Williams, guys that score goals that eliminate teams.
Glenn Anderson says hi, now there's a clutch player..........

Yeas, because moving Marner is the only move, with nothing in return and nothing signed with the $11m cap space.

Treliving will simply trade Marner for a bunch of Costco rotisserie chickens, as no players of consequence could come back to us in that trade, nor will he make any effort to sign UFA forwards nor trade for any, because, well, you know….

Our roster between now and training camp is fluid, and how we look June 30 can look markedly different by October.

Come on.
I'd rather trade him for the Costco chickens then see him walk at the end of next season and I'm on a low sodium diet.........

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Mitch marner in the playoffs is Ned Beatty in Deliverance. Just gets dominated
oink oink........

We have to be careful with Domi. He looked great in a pinch but he's also been fool's gold on a lot of teams. I'd have him back for sure, but I wouldn't expect that much or place too much of a burden on him.
Domi back only at the right price...........

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Yeas, because moving Marner is the only move, with nothing in return and nothing signed with the $11m cap space.

Treliving will simply trade Marner for a bunch of Costco rotisserie chickens, as no players of consequence could come back to us in that trade, nor will he make any effort to sign UFA forwards nor trade for any, because, well, you know….

Our roster between now and training camp is fluid, and how we look June 30 can look markedly different by October.

Come on.

I'm not opposed to this. Those rotisserie birds are about as enjoyable as Marner in the playoffs.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
would people be upset if he got a matching deal to Nylanders? 11.5?

I personally think change is so needed, I'm frustrated cause Marner is my favourite player but man. How do you run it back for a 9th attempt?

Seriously trade him get a goalie and a defenseman, then sign McDavid when his and Tavares contract is up.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'd say it's safe bet. Marner can bust his ass for a season, ink another undeserved massive deal then coast in the playoffs until retirement.
If we're talking specifically performing better in the playoffs, I don't think he can.

Another good regular season, yes, but a good playoffs, no.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
You are not getting much in a trade wither at this point and there is the probability that he resigns and you get to keep the 100ish point player.

If not you have as high a chance of trading him near the deadline with retention probably with higher return than you would get now.
If Mitch accepts several of the teams that are inquiring and looking to sign a new contract with him then we would get full market value. If he chooses only one the return will be less, but still substantial. Things have taken quite a turn recently.

There is zero chance he is moved at next seasons tdl.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You are not getting much in a trade wither at this point and there is the probability that he resigns and you get to keep the 100ish point player.

If not you have as high a chance of trading him near the deadline with retention probably with higher return than you would get now.

All you have to do is look at the PLD trade. Marner will return something similar or more. Lots of teams are interested in him

Reactions: Tarmore and ToneDog

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He's gonna ask for 12. Leafs paid Willy 11.5m. They would easily pay Marner more if it made sense. With Tavres here and the core clearly not working, he is the odd man out.
Well he can ask for whatever he wants But the Leafs only have to pay Marner as much as other teams would be willing to pay him. And if the narrative around Marner is true then no team is gonna pay Marner anything close to 12 million.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
he's COULD play the victim card.
"i had to hire security to deal with fan vitriol"

Surely he needs to see the situation: it's untenable for fans and himself.

Marner has sold alot of jerseys but change is needed. The Dubas dream is dead. The Big4 will never have playoff success ... the mix doesnt work.

It should also be clear: Tre picked Nylander. Over Mitch.

We can't have two right wingers making 12+

To cover for Mitch's huge salary, the Leafs skimp on areas like D and G. The idea is Mitch will generate so much offence that we will outscore our problems. Well .... we couldnt score. Like previous years.

Ultimately a team of 4 overpaid players, leaves little to make a team. Would you want to be on a sales team where one player makes 13 times more than you ? There is no way Marner is 13 times as important as Knies. The overpaid 4 leave little money around for others to make a living.

The Leafs aren't a team. They are The Big 4 + scraps.

Terrible way to make "a team".

For Marner to stay he needs to take a significant pay cut. If not, he needs to be traded. Do yourself a favor Mitch: waive the NMC. It's not worth the misery you'll endure. If you wait out the contract, you'll endure a year of "driving your own line". And people will see you for your skillset: a great passer, a great teammate, an inventive guy during the regular season, a good PKer (until this year). Missing: NHL shot, cannot drive a line, performs poorly under pressure, easily intimidated in the playoffs, a proven track record of underperforming in PLAYOFF hockey. CONCLUSION: A significant COMPLIMENTARY piece. Max: 9.5AAV.

Marner will regret waiting out his contract. It's clear he wont be able to take it. He's just going to drive down his value by looking like a crap show out there. During pressure in the playoffs the guy can't handle the puck. Expect the same during the regular season next year. He also needs to understand that the team controls the media. If the team decides to pressure him via the media: "They can and they will".

Marner got security because he got car jacked at gun point. I have no issues with him hiring security. That is a traumatic experience

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If we're talking specifically performing better in the playoffs, I don't think he can.

Another good regular season, yes, but a good playoffs, no.
I wonder who on our current roster has tallied the most playoff points for us? Could it be Marner with 50 in 57 games? We have a problem getting goals in the playoffs. Solution - ship Marner’s ass out of here. “Can’t write this stuff” a phrase often used to describe Leaf actions.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I wonder who on our current roster has tallied the most playoff points for us? Could it be Marner with 50 in 57 games? We have a problem getting goals in the playoffs. Solution - ship Marner’s ass out of here. “Can’t write this stuff” a phrase often used to describe Leaf actions.
Too much money tied up in 4 players makes it hard to build depth

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's about tied with Matthews PPG-wise, with only 2 points behind. They both underperform int he posteason.

One is signed for 4 more years, and one is done after this year. One plays the more important position too.

What's your obvious choice? Are you really this adamant to continue failing with the core 4?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
How are the other teams that are still in the playoffs managing to do it?

How did the other 15 teams that made the playoffs do it?

None of them have Mitch Marner, and apparently no one can replicate what Marner does, hence the vital over pay for him $12m to do whatever he does, results and outcomes be damned?

No need to reallocate funds for better across the team depth to make us harder and more balanced to play against.

St. Marner will hoist us upon his mighty and broad shoulders and carry us to our glorious destiny as one of The Chosen Ones!

Can I get a hallelujah???

Indeed, you can’t make this shit up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad