OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That just reminds me how much Illustrator annoys me :laugh:
I was messing around with Illustrator last night and oh man, I think I might be too used to my iPad pro and apple pencil because 20mins into just dicking around on my laptop and I needed a break.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm 2/3 episodes into season 2 of 3rd Rock From the Sun.

Thanks to Roku having seasons 1 through 3.
what a great show

wLF2tc.gif

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Currently watching Thoroughbreds since I've heard a few good things about it.
I enjoyed it. Not as much as I was hoping to. And I wish Anton Yelchin was in it a bit more. The one actress who was also in Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl probably has a hell of a career ahead of her.
Just watched Thoroughbreds too. I'd give it a similar review. I liked it but didn't love it.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I went nuts over the weekend...

The House That Jack Built- I hate Lars von Trier but this was excellent. 8/10

Terrifier- Evil clown that tortures and kills people in one night for some reason. Fine if you like low brow horror / gore. 7/10.

The Devil’s Candy- Has some interesting aspects but I didn’t like the attempt to blend metal w/ horror. Felt like when you watch a hockey-related movie but notice all the mistakes in game action. 6/10

Terrified- Brazilian horror film. Really good, though IMO too much left unresolved by the end. Doesn’t dilly dally around in getting to the actual horror. 8/10

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m up to season 5 of the Blacklist. It’s been really good but seems to be dropping off. Unless I’m watching it too much at once. I see it’s into season 6 soon. I like it when tv series end without dragging on. 4-6 seasons is usually a good time to wrap up a series

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I’m up to season 5 of the Blacklist. It’s been really good but seems to be dropping off. Unless I’m watching it too much at once. I see it’s into season 6 soon. I like it when tv series end without dragging on. 4-6 seasons is usually a good time to wrap up a series

I really like the music in that show. It's like they went on my Spotify and picked music from my most played.

Any recommendations for some good sci-fi movies or TV shows?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man the whole is he or isn't he my dad bit is getting frustrating.

I was also really into Blindspot but its the same with the whole mental stuff on that one.

Counterpart is a fantastic show @Randy Butternubs

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I really like the music in that show. It's like they went on my Spotify and picked music from my most played.

Any recommendations for some good sci-fi movies or TV shows?

Mix of old and new, not sure what you've watched

Gattaca
Stargate - the tv shows are above average, but can be a bit campy
Blade Runner
Fringe
Orphan Black - best show I've seen in a while

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone ever see Phase IV? I thought I saw some inspiration from that in Annihilation.

I finished Taboo over the weekend and I really liked it. The slow burn nature might not be for everyone. Gotta wait a bit for season 2 I guess.

Also watched The Changeling [1980 w/ George C. Scott]. Good ghost story, probably wouldn’t call it “horror.” 8/10

Giving The Orville a shot now.. first episode was good.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone ever see Phase IV? I thought I saw some inspiration from that in Annihilation.

I finished Taboo over the weekend and I really liked it. The slow burn nature might not be for everyone. Gotta wait a bit for season 2 I guess.

Also watched The Changeling [1980 w/ George C. Scott]. Good ghost story, probably wouldn’t call it “horror.” 8/10

Giving The Orville a shot now.. first episode was good.
I like a slow burn of a show but holy crap, Taboo is molasses slow.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm taking a departure from the types of movies I seek out and watch Bohemian Rhapsody right now.
I mean, who doesn't like Queen?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm taking a departure from the types of movies I seek out and watch Bohemian Rhapsody right now.
I mean, who doesn't like Queen?
Good movie. I mean it's been done before. I think 'Walk the line' was a better movie.
Both lead actors from those movies were outstanding though.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Even a good biopic is little more than a tall tale in my eyes.

I hate award season in LA...the 'for your consideration' stuff sickens me because it works so well that seemingly 80% of our ads are targeted at these damn award voters. I'm always woefully behind on my new movie intake (one of these days I'll stop treating movies like wine...one of these days) for one, but I also haven't watched an award show since 1996 or 97, so...feh.

Great artists don't need validation. Great artists tend to piss off the establishment and not get the respect they deserve anyway. I'm too big of a Stanley Kubrick disciple to give one solitary shit about what the Academy thinks about anything.

I remember being told I'd grow out of this cynical 'phase' more than half a lifetime ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad