OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
So, I figured that with the fact that we have tons of other film buffs and industry types here, it might not be such a bad idea to have a permanent thread on movies, cartoons, and serials of the non-Pens variety- so as not to clutter up the main OT/general bullshit thread with us arguing about films and junk.

(Mods, we don't have to make this one permenantly sticky or anything, but I figure we can keep it coming and going especially during the long breaks or when the Pens are tankity-tank-tank-tankin'. If you disagree, feel free to let me know via the usual channels.)

So, what are people watching these days?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
And to get the ball rolling, I've been digging hard on some trashy trashy Takashi Miike films. Miike is a total nutcase- most people know him as a horror/gorefest filmmaker because of Ichi : the Killer or Audition. But I'm really into his weirdo non-horror like this, The Happiness of the Katakuris:

giphy.gif

Which features a Japanese buisnessman claiming to be James Bond, singing zombies, and mentally disturbed dance-offs and people at a beautiful rural inn dying like flies.

But Amazon Prime also has a bunch of his even more insane films like Yakuza Apocalypse (where Japanese vampire gangsters do battle with 17th century vampire hunters, frog mascots, and more), Sukiyaki Western Django (a super bizarre Western spoof), and Dead or Alive.

Highly recommended if you're looking for the smartest stupid movies you've ever seen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I watched Sorry to Bother You recently. It isn't at all what I thought it was going to be, but I really enjoyed it.

Also watched Eighth Grade and really liked it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I didn't say I'd recommend those films, by the by. ;) Just that I find there's something more worthwhile about trying to make something visually interesting and failing, than say, doing a bad documentary or a bad mumblecore feature film.

Film is a visual medium. If I want a great story with little to no visual stimulation, I can read a book or a longform article. ;)
I do like movies to be visually interesting. I don't know that I think it's necessary, but it's certainly something filmmakers should strive for. As you said, if the visual component isn't important they're probably working in the wrong medium. So I think you could make a good movie that is bland visually, but it would be a negative aspect of that movie that keeps it from being truly great.

Visually interesting is a pretty subjective term though. It doesn't need to be flashy to be interesting. Sure, you can make Speed Racer and have lights and colors everywhere (and I actually really like that movie) but you can also make The Social Network where the whole movie is people in rooms talking. Hell, I thought Locke was a great movie and visually interesting and the whole damn thing is just a dude talking on the phone in his car. But take away his face and the movie loses a whole lot.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm pretty 'low key' here.

Mainly the GO TO's in The Big Bang Theory, the History channels and now and then American Pickers when not watching the Pens. In the mornings you'd think with a 8 and 13 year olds I wouldn't have to watch SpongeBob anymore but that clearly is not the case.:laugh:

Movies? Solo is a good watch (Me and my brother in law watched this up in the boys clubhouse(I'll have to share some pics of that), and The Last Jedi. I just picked up a copy of Meg but haven't been able to find time to watch it.

Daddy's Home 2 is a good watch for the funny bone.
tenor.gif

web%20daddys.jpg

giphy-downsized-large.gif
tenor.gif

This is probably going to be this generation's National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation go to Christmas movie.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Visually interesting is a pretty subjective term though. It doesn't need to be flashy to be interesting. Sure, you can make Speed Racer and have lights and colors everywhere (and I actually really like that movie) but you can also make The Social Network where the whole movie is people in rooms talking. Hell, I thought Locke was a great movie and visually interesting and the whole damn thing is just a dude talking on the phone in his car. But take away his face and the movie loses a whole lot.

Yeah, but both of those films are films that succeeded based on incredible performances, especially Locke. Hardy just kills his role there.

Honestly, I wonder how well the Social Network is going to hold up in 10-15 years. My gut feeling is "not so well", but I could be (and very often am) wrong. :laugh:

Hell, if we're going to turn this into mini- Tom Hardy Appreciation Thread, I whole-heartedly recommend Bronson.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, but both of those films are films that succeeded based on incredible performances, especially Locke. Hardy just kills his role there.

Honestly, I wonder how well the Social Network is going to hold up in 10-15 years. My gut feeling is "not so well", but I could be (and very often am) wrong. :laugh:

Hell, if we're going to turn this into mini- Tom Hardy Appreciation Thread, I whole-heartedly recommend Bronson.
I need to watch Bronson for sure.

Also, I think The Social Network will hold up. It's just a great movie imo. I'm a big Fincher fan.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Speaking of John Lithgow, I never realized he was in Buckaroo Banzai until like... last week. :laugh:

I really miss 3rd Rock from the Sun. Wish they would rerun that show.
giphy.gif

John Lithgow is a treasure.

The first one looked pretty dumb, but Mel Gibson and John Lithgow really make me want to watch the 2nd :laugh:
Edit: Oh God, it's a must see.:nod:

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Also, I think The Social Network will hold up. It's just a great movie imo. I'm a big Fincher fan.

Agreed. That "We lived on farms, we lived in cities, and now we're going to live on the internet" line or whatever it was just becomes more prescient as the years go by. Fantastic final frame as well.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why isn't 3rd Rock in reruns or syndication? It was a way better show than That 70s Show.

I was going to argue for That 70's Show because I actually think it's pretty good, but you're right 3rd Rock is a way better show.

I think I wore out That 70's Show hitting that pretty hard the last few years, and finding that playset will certainly help out of 3rdRFTS.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Unless it’s distinctly terrible directing I can get by with weak visuals but god help anything with a bad plot, weak dialogue or poor pacing. With the exception being that sometimes you let the big, dumb action movie be a big, dumb action movie or appreciate how bad something is.

One of these days I'll get to go to TIFF, it always has a killer lineup. The Chicago International was always lots of fun too.

I live in the gta and every year I say I should go experience some of TIFF and every year I don’t. All I do is pull other people into the same cycle or make them realize they already do the same thing. #nextyear

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
No, it got so ****ty and had such a terrible ending that the show’s legacy is tainted. It was amazing before people started leaving.

Indeed. Blonde Donna is a pretty easy marker to pinpoint when the writing started to go downhill. Plus, I'm usually able to separate the "art from the artist" as it were, but rewatches are getting tougher considering just how much a deplorable shitbag Danny Masterson is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->