OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Mix of old and new, not sure what you've watched

Gattaca
Stargate - the tv shows are above average, but can be a bit campy
Blade Runner
Fringe
Orphan Black - best show I've seen in a while

Is Fringe on a streaming service now? I never finished it before it left Netflix.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Is Fringe on a streaming service now? I never finished it before it left Netflix.

Fringe is on one of the channels available for free with Prime, imdb freedive.

Another one that I should have added to my list of recs would be the recent reboot of Battlestar Galatica. The 70s show ranged from ugh to meh for me, but the remake was S-tier.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hereditary is profoundly disturbing. Probably should’ve seen the ending coming based on the VVitch’s ending. Gotta be up there with the Shining and the Exorcist as far as horror goes. 9/10

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm doing a re-watch of Deadwood right now. It's right up there with The Wire and The Sopranos as far as great HBO shows go. It might even be my favourite among the three. So many great characters, I can't even pick a favourite.

Way better than Sopranos, IMO. The writing's better, the production's better, and it's got Ian McShane.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Someone deleted my OT recommendation in another thread, but if you're looking for Czech/Slovak New Wave stuff, I just redid one of my syllabi for some job talks, so I'd like to take a moment and recommend a film that's often overlooked: Juraj Herz's 1969 horror/comedy/psychological drama, The Cremator.

giphy.gif

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Fringe is on one of the channels available for free with Prime, imdb freedive.

Another one that I should have added to my list of recs would be the recent reboot of Battlestar Galatica. The 70s show ranged from ugh to meh for me, but the remake was S-tier.

Hmm. I have prime and I've never heard of anything about free channels associated with it--just the prime netflix knockoff app. How would I go about accessing "imdb freedive," Roku?

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Hmm. I have prime and I've never heard of anything about free channels associated with it--just the prime netflix knockoff app. How would I go about accessing "imdb freedive," Roku?

We accessed through a smart TV. We have a Roku TV and went into the Prime Video app and one of the categories within the Prime Video app was channels offered for free with Prime. I assume that on a Fire TV or some other smart TV it is through the Prime app or is its own separate app. You can also watch through a web browser, IMDb Freedive: Watch TV Shows and Movies Online for Free - IMDb, and sign in with either an IMDB login or an Amazon login. It is free, but it does have ads, but the ad breaks aren't the longest.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
We accessed through a smart TV. We have a Roku TV and went into the Prime Video app and one of the categories within the Prime Video app was channels offered for free with Prime. I assume that on a Fire TV or some other smart TV it is through the Prime app or is its own separate app. You can also watch through a web browser, IMDb Freedive: Watch TV Shows and Movies Online for Free - IMDb, and sign in with either an IMDB login or an Amazon login. It is free, but it does have ads, but the ad breaks aren't the longest.

So it's inside the Prime app on a Roku (and probably FireTv) device, then, and not a standalone channel using Prime authentication. I'll look into this later tonight. Thanks.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Way better than Sopranos, IMO. The writing's better, the production's better, and it's got Ian McShane.
It's tough to say really. If I could watch any HBO shows and rate them I don't think I could. Rome is up there, The Wire is incredible, Deadwood is pure grit, and Sopranos is funny as much as it is interesting. Everyone of those shows have incredible actors / actresses.
Calamity Jane is played by whomever, but man does she kill that part.

WTF WTF WTF.... I just looked up who played Calamity Jane and it's Robin Weigert and I find this on IDMB
Deadwood (TV Movie) (post-production)
Calamity Jane 2019
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:'Deadwood' is coming back to HBO after 10 years for a movie, and fans are thrilled

Yo what the hell. Bring back ROME!!!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just caught up on Vikings, what a good show. I thought post-Ragnar it would fall off, but they are doing a good job keeping it going.

Also a good show to watch is Dynasties on BBC. Good stuff like they used to have on Discovery and Nat Geo all the time back in the day... some good ol animals killing animals. Episode 2 is the Penguins btw =]

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I couldn't stand Vikings anymore after Season 4. Just got too repetitive for me to keep watching. I did really enjoy the first 4 seasons though, they were some very good television for me.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I couldn't stand Vikings anymore after Season 4. Just got too repetitive for me to keep watching. I did really enjoy the first 4 seasons though, they were some very good television for me.
That is every show though really. Start out middling, work to glory, repeat glory, suffer, loss, repeat glory, die.... repeat cycle.
Vikings S1-4 are epic though. Sons of Ragnar do turn it into 'meh' viewing, but it's still good.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I really, highly recommend Dynasties for anyone into our mother earth and the fight for survival.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why does Friday Night Lights need a remake of the movie? They made a movie then a tv show and now they're remaking the movie?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What we really need is another Stargate franchise ...
I WAS NOT READY TO SEE ATLANTIS END GOD DAMN IT!

Also, SGU was just getting better and they f***ing killed it. They made these horrible short episode "things" recently that was just trash, a prequel to the entire series/movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad