OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Thinking about it, how they kept the budget so low for starring _20_ people, who were not no name actors, everything else considered too, it's amazing what they did with that budget.
I watched bumblebee the other day for 2 hours with the same budget, roughly.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Thinking about it, how they kept the budget so low for starring _20_ people, who were not no name actors, everything else considered too, it's amazing what they did with that budget.
I watched bumblebee the other day for 2 hours with the same budget, roughly.
Gotta remember, at the time, most of those guys were not huge names, they were after Rome though, Ray Stevenson went on to be Punisher in an ultra violent movie that makes the netflix show blush for thinking it was violent. Then the other guy went on to star in that lame hospital drama that lame asses love.

The set was just so expensive, at that time, where period pieces like that were not that hugely budgeted. If that show came out 14yrs later than it did, it would still be around, sad isn't it?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think a lot of the people on Rome were pretty obscure when they started filming Rome--Rome was what got them their later work. Off the top of my head, the only person I remember knowing from something else when I first watched Rome was Polly Walker.

By the time Caesar goes to Egypt I was wondering how the heck HBO found a guy as good at acting as Ciaran Hinds who wasn't already a household name. I mean, around the same time, he accepted an irrelevant bit part in Joel Schumacher's Phantom of the Opera, so he can't have been expensive to cast as Caesar if he's taking that sort of work.

Edit: But yeah, I'm totally on board with being a Rome fanboy. It was Game of Thrones before Game of Thrones was Game of Thrones. Frankly, even though I love Game of Thrones, Rome's writing and acting is definitely a cut above.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think a lot of the people on Rome were pretty obscure when they started filming Rome--Rome was what got them their later work. Off the top of my head, the only person I remember knowing from something else when I first watched Rome was Polly Walker.

By the time Caesar goes to Egypt I was wondering how the heck HBO found a guy as good at acting as Ciaran Hinds who wasn't already a household name. I mean, around the same time, he accepted an irrelevant bit part in Joel Schumacher's Phantom of the Opera, so he can't have been expensive to cast as Caesar if he's taking that sort of work.
Rome the OG game of thrones. More interesting than zombies and dragons to be honest. HBO f***ed up with Rome and they admitted it more than one time. James Purefoy, Marc Antony, even said f*** game of thrones, they stole our show.

Reactions: billybudd

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Rome the OG game of thrones. More interesting than zombies and dragons to be honest. HBO ****ed up with Rome and they admitted it more than one time. James Purefoy, Marc Antony, even said **** game of thrones, they stole our show.

The writing was just top tier. Game of Thrones, much as I love it, occasionally gets where Rome was every week, but not consistently.

"You're not a bad sort of man, Vorenus. You just have a lot of anger in you"

My brother and I still say that to each other. I could go on quoting the show forever.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Rome the OG game of thrones. More interesting than zombies and dragons to be honest. HBO ****ed up with Rome and they admitted it more than one time. James Purefoy, Marc Antony, even said **** game of thrones, they stole our show.

"if i'm dead already than sir, you should take care how you speak to me" "If I have nothing to lose, whats to keep me from cutting you into little gobs and riding off, whats to stop me sir"
epic writing indeed.
Titus to Vorenus S1E1 searching for the standard.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The writing was just top tier. Game of Thrones, much as I love it, occasionally gets where Rome was every week, but not consistently.

"You're not a bad sort of man, Vorenus. You just have a lot of anger in you"

My brother and I still say that to each other. I could go on quoting the show forever.
LOL, i wrote a quote before you mentioned quote-worthiness. You are damn right the show is full of quotes. I don't get how people didn't fall in love with the show and get on board non-stop when it came out. It was during the Soprano reign and was dubbed 'sopranos with swords'. Just a shame all around it failed.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
"have we met before?" "have we not, No idea I always pretend so with civilians, much more politic" "Now then, I'm sure your aware Caesar has left me in charge while steers in Greece, yes, off having fun chastising Pompey left me here to scribble and quiver like a damned civilian. However I am determined to make the most of it. Even if it kills me ... or anyone else for that matter".
Marc Antony to Survillius

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rome was probably the last show that I really anticipated seeing the episodes on a weekly basis. As a history buff, anything that even remotely touched on stuff I was interested in, even with a lot of fictional crap, I was all for. Rome was just amazingly made. GOT is...meh, I gave up on it for a couple of seasons and then was told it got better, so I got back into it, but yeah, Rome was just amazing.

Being more familiar with Brit shows, the actors were always familiar to me from other things but when I started to see them pop up in a lot of US made movies and shows, that's when you knew people were seriously paying attention to how fantastic those actors were.

Ray Stevenson was a huge indication of that - He got roles in Dexter, Punisher, The other guys, Book of Eli, hell it led to Thor as well.

Even him as Frank Castle, he was probably the most savage portrayal of Frank Castle I have ever seen in any live action version of him. There are many takes on Frank in comics, but the most savage sides of him was on full display. The only shame in that movie was how they created Jigsaw.

Polly Walker on that show though, I have always had a huge crush on her, then seeing her in that show just cemented it for life.

#stillwould.

PS: Because of Rome, seeing Tobias Menzies in anything always makes me think he is a dick in real life too.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The worst part about Rome is that they had this incredible, epic storyline planned out for, if I remember correctly, 5 seasons. The second season would have focused exclusively on the conflict between the Triumvirate and Brutus. The third and fourth seasons covered Egypt. The last season would follow Jesus in Palestine. Then BBC pulled out and HBO couldn't fund it by itself and they had to cut 90% of that stuff out and condense everything else into one season. The second season actually turned out extremely well in light of how it got butchered. What could have been, though.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I just this moment realized that Black Mirror and Orphan Black are different shows.

Regarding recommendations, Orphan Black is one for those with an inclination to sci-fi. We just finished the series on Prime and both loved it (I'm more of a scifi fan than her). Impressive acting by Tatiana Maslany.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@Ogrezilla this should give you a chuckle.

uWrCAdT.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
she took the MCU in a very different direction with that one. You could barely even recognize those characters.

That scene when Dexter's Brother dies, Hawkeye just mailed it in there.

On and lest we forget the movie also has...

Killian and Voldemort.

It's one of the most ambitious cross-overs of the century that went under the radar.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm watching Comedians of the world on Netflix - Canada is episode 1, did you pick the worst cringiest person to represent you? She's god awful. Cliche after cliche...quiet laughter, uncomfortable laughter. My gf "Oh wow, she's really bad." Her bit about the bikini wax...when a joke is bad, dragging it on doesn't make it better.

Edit: I spoke too soon, her bit about shampoo is even worse and done to death.

The 2nd episode better be good.

Also, whatever Pinky Malinky is...I am totally watching the shit out of that. A sentient hot dog? Be still my Kessel loving heart.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm watching Comedians of the world on Netflix - Canada is episode 1, did you pick the worst cringiest person to represent you? She's god awful. Cliche after cliche...quiet laughter, uncomfortable laughter. My gf "Oh wow, she's really bad." Her bit about the bikini wax...when a joke is bad, dragging it on doesn't make it better.

Edit: I spoke too soon, her bit about shampoo is even worse and done to death.

The 2nd episode better be good.

Also, whatever Pinky Malinky is...I am totally watching the **** out of that. A sentient hot dog? Be still my Kessel loving heart.

If you haven’t seen the Aristocrats check it out. Hilarious. A bunch of comedians telling the same joke with their own spin. I don’t think I’m able to post one clip here without it being deleted :laugh:

The Aristocrats (film) - Wikipedia

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If you haven’t seen the Aristocrats check it out. Hilarious. A bunch of comedians telling the same joke with their own spin. I don’t think I’m able to post one clip here without it being deleted :laugh:

The Aristocrats (film) - Wikipedia
Oh I've seen it, definitely can't post a clip here, lol.

Also Update: The guy after the other Comedienne, even worse. Oh, also update....Season 1 is from Canada?

No offense to you Canadians, but these guys are shit. Horrible jokes. I can't watch the French one because I don't understand it and subtitles suck for watching stand-up...but it took until Episode 4 to finally get someone funny on there and it's the dude from Letterkenny.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad