OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just posting to make sure I get ownership of post #1 and post #1000.

HAHA!
I don't get it. You did the thread. So why not start the new one. Even nearing 1k posts mods always saying start the threads and quit waiting for them to do it.
So do it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
hqdefault.jpg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't get Arya actually, as a book reader. Even though I forget most of the book readings as they are all massive with huge chunks of information, but doesn't the house of black and white require their assassains to NOT be free roaming trained killers? I don't get how they just let Arya go.
Ignoring the consequences of what it meant for her to become "no one" and then to ditch out on the faceless men perfectly encapsulates what's wrong with the show at this point. There was no downside to her becoming a superhero. She has no moral ambiguity. She's just a badass fighter and assassin.

Dany going mad queen is stupid. If anything shes angry as **** and not insane. It goes against her whole arc of being a psycho. So she wants to burn Cersei out and claim the throne. I still don't even get the point of owning the throne so hastily. If she has to burn Cersei out, then burn her the **** out and rule from Dragon Stone. Who says Kings Landing has to be the ruling point.
I don't mind that aspect, but it's super rushed. I like her being completely obsessed with the iron throne for no particular reason other than she was raised to believe it was hers.

You know what character they've low key butchered this season? Davos. This guy risked everything to smuggle food in to Storm's End despite having no allegiance to the Baratheons or anyone inside. He did it because he thought it was the right thing to do. And he accepted Stannis's punishment for smuggling because THAT was also the right thing to do. And if you had to define his main defining trait, it's that he will speak his mind to anyone regardless of who they are. He did it with Stannis, Jon, Melisandre, The Iron Bank, whoever. They've done a great job with his character in the post-book version of the show until this season. But now this guy just sits back and listens to their plan to starve out King's Landing until the people turn on Cersei? That's not just the largest city in Westeros, it's his home town. If his character isn't going to speak up for the poor kids in flea bottom in that situation AND you're not going to send him with your fleet, why is his character still around?

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't mind that aspect, but it's super rushed.

That might as well be Season 8's motto at this point.

I enjoyed Episode 4, mainly because there was some good dramatic conversations, but all sense of logical & dramatic Cause and Effect has sunk to the bottom of the sea. And that is heavily hampering my enjoyment over all.

I was a book person who only got into the TV series as I wanted a resolution (well, that and my wife's nagging), but I think I'm going to find myself waiting for Martin's resolution after all anyway. Boo and hiss.

Also, being in the US and not in the UK for the Line of Duty series finale and having to wait a week for it is killing me.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ignoring the consequences of what it meant for her to become "no one" and then to ditch out on the faceless men perfectly encapsulates what's wrong with the show at this point. There was no downside to her becoming a superhero. She has no moral ambiguity. She's just a badass fighter and assassin.

You know what character they've low key butchered this season? Davos.

Yep. Character assassinations galore and a glaring lack of consequences (which used to be a hugely enjoyable part of th show) have littered these past couple seasons. So disappointing.

all sense of logical & dramatic Cause and Effect has sunk to the bottom of the sea. And that is heavily hampering my enjoyment over all

It's legitimately jumped the shark. I keep telling myself at least there are only 2 more episodes. If there were another season or two confirmed, I'd absolutely bail. Time is precious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yep. Character assassinations galore and a galring lack of consequences (which used to be a hugely enjoyable part of th show) have littered these past couple seasons. So disappointing.

It's legitimately jumped the shark. I keep telling myself at least there are only 2 more episodes. If there were another season or two confirmed, I'd absolutely bail. Time is precious.

+1 on lack of consequences.

That's part of why I liked the sprawling nature of the books and defend them (well, part of it); the sprawl provided the right amount of consequences to the cynical removal of power for self-enrichment and naive failure to recognise those people for what they are and take the right steps.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

I don't mind that aspect, but it's super rushed. I like her being completely obsessed with the iron throne for no particular reason other than she was raised to believe it was hers.

You know what character they've low key butchered this season? Davos. This guy risked everything to smuggle food in to Storm's End despite having no allegiance to the Baratheons or anyone inside. He did it because he thought it was the right thing to do. And he accepted Stannis's punishment for smuggling because THAT was also the right thing to do. And if you had to define his main defining trait, it's that he will speak his mind to anyone regardless of who they are. He did it with Stannis, Jon, Melisandre, The Iron Bank, whoever. They've done a great job with his character in the post-book version of the show until this season. But now this guy just sits back and listens to their plan to starve out King's Landing until the people turn on Cersei? That's not just the largest city in Westeros, it's his home town. If his character isn't going to speak up for the poor kids in flea bottom in that situation AND you're not going to send him with your fleet, why is his character still around?
Davos is also from flea bottom right? Was that him that said he would scrounge for chicken bones or whatever, just to eat?
Someone said something like that I want to think it's him.

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad