Mourinho out

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
It was a cinderella run by a team who didn't face many big teams along the way, that's my point.
You could also argue that Mourinho's second CL, with Inter, was tremendously helped by bad reffing in the semis.

We're not talking about a coach whose team outclassed the opposition. He won the CL by parking the bus and relying on violent conduct along the way.

Maybe but at the end of the day he won the trophy.

The reality is that winning games or titles is not based on merit or beautiful football, but on results on the pitch.

Brazil played amazing football in 1982, but they didn't find a way to beat Italy; France deserved to win their semis versus West Germany, but in the end the Germans won.

Porto found a way to win , even if they were a Cinderella team and didn't play gorgeous football

And I think Cinderella team doesn't apply in that case anyway.

Greece was a Cinderella team when they won Euro

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Mourinho is excellent in a "us against the world" mentality. When his team is not favourite, that the pressure is on the opponents, he wills his players to victory. His negative football in that case is often overlooked because you don't expect them to win those games.

Mourinho is just not made for big teams.

I can certainly understand how his methods lead to that conclusion, but my opinion slightly differs.

His approach, like Benitez was, is always good for knockout competitions, it's in the league where he runs into trouble because you can't scrape through on away goals. And virtually all of his league successes depended on the overpowering financial advantage of those clubs that hired him.

Nailed it. Benitez and Mourinho shouldn't be managing the best clubs in the world. Eventually both wear out their welcome at a club due to their stiffing style of play.

I'd like to see Mourinho coach England - perfect for the 'us against the world' mentality.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
No, it's not dramatic. All in all, he failed in Madrid. With the most expensive team ever. One of the best players ever on his roster as well. He alienated fans, players and staff.
With Chelsea, he won a league in 3 years, while the most expensive team failed to cope with expectations (and was badly coached). He was always favourite for 2nd place with the budget he had. He was outclassed by Spanish's 3rd team in the CL and then by L1's 1st team in the second year. This year, it took the 6th game to qualify in an easy group. He alienated plenty of players and staff. Only fans seemed to back him up, with absolutely zero logic (IMO) given the piss poor quality of the football they're watching.

At this point, beyond a stupid staff like United's, I don't see a single big team being interested in him.

I can agree with all this. He's a perfect fit for a team like Porto (in size and prestige) who haven't won trophies in a while. With players who NEED to get to the next level, not a team full of stars who get to run like scrubs all season. Real Madrid and this current Chelsea squad get paid too much and have won too much to chase mid level players around the pitch. Plus I'm pretty damn sure Abramovich is tired of watching **** soccer when teams like Bayern, Barcelona, PSG, etc play Champagne football week in and week out.

Think about how perfect he was for Chelsea the first go around, and how he turned Inter Milan into winners in a few seasons. He'd be perfect for a team like Monaco,

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
Think about how perfect he was for Chelsea the first go around, and how he turned Inter Milan into winners in a few seasons.

I guess you mean at the CL level? Inter Milan won the scudetto the 3 seasons in a row before his arrival, and due to Calciopoli had absolutely no competition for titles.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Actually that was basically the Portugal NT.
Not that it takes anything away from Mourinho and Porto, but they almost didn't create any upset in that CL run.
Beat a Monaco team that couldn't cope with the pressure in the final.
Barely beat a Deportivo team in a defensive struggle in the semis.
Beat a pressured Lyon team by showing efficiency rather than class in the quarters.
Beat United in the only upsets they had in their entire run. Again there it was very close.
In the group stage, they barely beat OM and Partizan at home, and got outclassed by Real. Away, they won at Marseille and tied the other two games in defensive struggles.

Yeah, we were only missing bit players like Figo, Rui Costa, C. Ronaldo, F. Couto, Nuno Gomes....

It was a cinderella run by a team who didn't face many big teams along the way, that's my point.
You could also argue that Mourinho's second CL, with Inter, was tremendously helped by bad reffing in the semis.

We're not talking about a coach whose team outclassed the opposition. He won the CL by parking the bus and relying on violent conduct along the way.

Let's not let facts dissuade you from your logic, but I'll make note of a few:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2003/statistics/round=1712/clubs/index.html

You can go through them and check things like:
Fouls committed
Fouls suffered
Yellow cards
Red cards

You can also search for match specific records, such as matches with the most goals, fouls committed, yellow cards, red cards, etc...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, we were only missing bit players like Figo, Rui Costa, C. Ronaldo, F. Couto, Nuno Gomes....

Let's not let facts dissuade you from your logic, but I'll make note of a few:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2003/statistics/round=1712/clubs/index.html

You can go through them and check things like:
Fouls committed
Fouls suffered
Yellow cards
Red cards

You can also search for match specific records, such as matches with the most goals, fouls committed, yellow cards, red cards, etc...

Just look at Kev's post up there.
Maybe you didn't watch the games?
Would explain your post.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
I guess you mean at the CL level? Inter Milan won the scudetto the 3 seasons in a row before his arrival, and due to Calciopoli had absolutely no competition for titles.

Italy was a mess for sure, but yeah he made them unstoppable that year they won there CL. Once they beat Barça in the semi's it was over.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The mood and culture of the club went down the ****ter and he is the reason. Pretty simple.

Seems like the Italians are the only people who don't give a **** what kind of style their teams play. Mourinho will probably end up there. It would be crazy for United to dump Van Gaal for Mourinho with their fans *****ing about LVG being boring.

Mourinho is a mid table manager who was given big budgets and unlimited resources. I hope he goes to coach a freaking Sunderland or Aston Villa.

I don't believe you've answered my question, but maybe that wasn't your intent.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
people trying to argue about Jose's past accomplishments in the CL seems kind of a moot point at the moment. The relevant issue at hand here is that he just got fired from a team that steam rolled through the league last year and now are fighting to avoid relegation basically.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Obviously not arguing about Wenger here, but how can anyone not see Mourinho has lost the plot here?
From a treble with Inter (albeit in a very weak Serie A year), to 1 single league title with Real, one single Copa del Rey and not a single CL final. With the most expensive team in the world. And as soon as he's gone, Real wins the CL.

That should tell you a lot.

Of course he has. I'm not sure whether or not this season in particular is a fluke and there's no way of knowing that until he gets another job.

Mourinho manages results, not clubs. And again, he went into situations with clubs that were expected to win, with huge resources, and established rosters set in place. He's done a horrible job of furthering prospects and developing much of anything. We've seen more examples of him ruining players, and leaving teams in shambles. He's been fired 3 times.

Look at him and what he's done. Who the **** would want this guy managing their club? I would kill myself if he took over Arsenal. There are variables with the squads that these managers have control of to.

Would you actually want him to manage Liverpool? Make a poll of people who would actually want this fool anywhere near their club. Pretty sure only existing Chelsea fans would say yes.

Also, Mourinho with Real Madrid was a gigantic failure. Just massive.

Well, let's not act like your dislike of anything him is anything but entirely personal. My dislike of him is driven by the same thing. It's quite unfair to say he's done a bad job with prospects too given that he's been at clubs that don't have players who can make the grade. I know some Chelsea fans would disagree with that, but there hasn't been a single manager who's been there and tried to bring any of those supposedly great prospects forward. It's the philosophy of the clubs he's been at to not bring forward their youth. Inter for example, the only player on their team they developed themselves was Santon, and they sold him to Newcastle before just getting him back.

But, your statement about him leaving teams in shambles is very much not true. Porto, Chelsea, and Real Madrid were all left in great shape. Chelsea this time, who knows, we'll have to see what happens. Inter was an older team built to win immediately and they did that, that was a job done.

Do you also realize how much money that Mourinho has lost some of these teams? Lost Chelsea hundreds of millions with his horrible management. h

Don't fixate yourself on results that dozens of managers would replicate if they were in the same situation. Look at the bigger picture and you'll realize how wrong you are on him LITN.

Chelsea hasn't lost much of anything given that they're owned by a super rich thug with money to throw away. Their financial losses are genuinely irrelevant.

I'd like to see Mourinho take on a job like Valencia after this season. Would be similar to when Simeone took on the Atletico job. Both teams are/were capable of winning despite their limitations.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Let's just do since 2005 rather than 2004 because it's easier to put together, even though Mourinho won two trophies in 2004.

Jose Mourinho

Chelsea

Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014–15
FA Cup: 2006–07
Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07, 2014–15
FA Community Shield: 2005

Inter Milan

Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
Coppa Italia: 2009–10
Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
UEFA Champions League: 2009–10

Real Madrid

La Liga: 2011–12
Copa del Rey: 2010–11
Supercopa de España: 2012

Arsene Wenger

FA Cup: 2004–05, 2013–14, 2014–15
FA Community Shield: 2004, 2014, 2015

Laughable.

I might be anti-Wenger, but I will say that he has done more for Arsenal and brought them to where they are now, than anybody else (player or personnel) in the organization. Longevity is also important for any successful coach or manager in any sport. We know this because we're all on a hockey board, every coach has a lifespan in the NHL. Likewise with football, I would actually consider football more brutal of the two in terms of managers fired in ugly fashion.
What Wenger has been able to do consistently by making the top 4 for the last 10-13 years, making the CL consistently for the last 10-13 years, and challenging for the title/FA/round of 16 for the last 10-13 years makes up for all the trophies Mourinho has won. Arsene might have overstayed his welcome by 3 season, but in terms of longevity, he will go down as one of the best managers ever in the game of football.

Mourinho manages results, not clubs. And again, he went into situations with clubs that were expected to win, with huge resources, and established rosters set in place. He's done a horrible job of furthering prospects and developing much of anything. We've seen more examples of him ruining players, and leaving teams in shambles. He's been fired 3 times.

Look at him and what he's done. Who the **** would want this guy managing their club? I would kill myself if he took over Arsenal. There are variables with the squads that these managers have control of to.

Would you actually want him to manage Liverpool? Make a poll of people who would actually want this fool anywhere near their club. Pretty sure only existing Chelsea fans would say yes.

Also, Mourinho with Real Madrid was a gigantic failure. Just massive.
100% real truth here in bold. I would say that this Chelsea club was built for him to consistently win and he got fired from. The Real Madrid club was built for him to consistently win and he parted ways with. He's just not a good manager. I also agree that I think he's going to go to Serie A, maybe not to Juventus, Inter, or Roma, but I could see a team like AC Milan or Napoli gobble him up.

Can someone explain why Pep is leaving Bayern? Isn't that the easiest job a person can ever get?

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Can someone explain why Pep is leaving Bayern? Isn't that the easiest job a person can ever get?

I think he is looking for a new challenge; won everything in Spain, won titles with Bayern, now he needs to win elsewhere

He's gonna run out of countries soon :laugh:

Rumors say he is also tired of the constant criticism (fans wish he would have signed more German players, some fans don't like tiki taka)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Word is Abramovich came and gave the team a talk (in Russian naturally) today telling them they need to get their acts together right away. Hiddink will be watching the match with Sunderland.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Malmö FF needs a new coach. Åge Hareide has left for Denmarks national team. Mourinho would be perfect.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Wonder if SAF backing will swing United in favor of mourinho

Would be cool to see the Manchester derby also feature pep vs mou

We can bring in simeone but he's going to require the same buy in from his players purely when talking about on the pitch.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wonder if SAF backing will swing United in favor of mourinho

Would be cool to see the Manchester derby also feature pep vs mou

We can bring in simeone but he's going to require the same buy in from his players purely when talking about on the pitch.

That would just mean a rebuild in the middle of a rebuild and even more money spent. Mourinho also wouldn't get better results with the amount of injuries United have on defense.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Giggs will replace LVG when a change is made.

Um, I don't think someone like Simeone would go to such an unstable club. Not only that, they probably won't have CL football. Chelsea is going to be looking in the second tier for their next manager because they're unstable and go through managers like crazy. Benitez did pretty well there, maybe him again. Or an international manager like Low.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Too bad he got rid of De Bruyne,Schurrle, and Mata.

Chelsea has quite a bit of building to do. Their next manager has to use their academy.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Maybe but at the end of the day he won the trophy.

There's no "maybe" about it and he just provided the context about the circumstances under which the trophy was won. I know Mourinho fans such as yourself don't like context though because it doesn't suit his reputation.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Um, the kind of year Chelsea have been having this season should tell you that great talent (and money) doesn't always translate to winning. So Mourinho deserves credit for the trophies he's won.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Um, the kind of year Chelsea have been having this season should tell you that great talent (and money) doesn't always translate to winning. So Mourinho deserves credit for the trophies he's won.

Umm, actually reading posts should tell you that no one has said he doesn't deserve credit for the trophies he's won. Let me be the first though to say that about the Inter win. Refs gave them the Semifinal. That said Inter had a very good run, but they shouldn't have been in that Final.

As for your point, Ancelotti had great talent (and money) and that translated to winning the CL with Madrid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad