Mourinho out

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Giving massive praise to managers who have unlimited resources and ridiculously strong squads is pretty ridiculous in a sense.

You look at Mourinho, see the messes he has left, and still think he is awesome, leaves me even more perplexed.

As a rival of Manchester United, I would absolutely love Mourinho going there. It would be fantastic.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Refs gave Inter the semis?

It's not like they didn't try to bail out Barça in Camp Nou.

Inter won fair and square

So they tried to bail us out at the Camp Nou by disallowing a legit goal? OK.

No, they didn't win fair and square. I already mentioned the goal that would have put us through which doesn't even count what happened in the first leg.

Yeah the refs had nothing to do with Inter winning that semi...they were a great team and deserved it.

They absolutely had something to do with it, but it wouldn't surprise me if you haven't seen either of the matches. Of course that said it wouldn't surprise me if you had and still posted this.

Everything about the Semi aside, they were still a very good side that season. I remember the group stage pretty well. They also knocked out Chelsea and I figured they'd lose in the Final to Bayern. That was an excellent season for Inter.

So if Mourinho-hating Barcelona fans say that the Mourinho-led Inter didn't deserve to go to the 2010 Final because of the refs, will they say the same about Barça in 2009?

Of course not because we didn't go through to the Final because of the refs, which someone else has already mentioned and has been covered on this forum for years.

He said no

Good for Roma, though I'm sure some of their supporters would have welcomed him. I'd be curious to see if he would also turn down Juventus. I'm also curious to see if Inter makes an approach and if he takes it, though as Evilo said he'll probably get "better" or "bigger" offers.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Mourinho and United would be a good fit, IMO. They don't have what it takes to dominate teams with skill and possession (LVG is usually a terrific foundational builder for it and they don't seem to be going anywhere), and that's realistically not changing within a year or two. A Mourinho type underdog approach could get the best out of them, whatever that exactly is these days.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
If AC Milan has any ambition, they make an approach. Doubt they have the money though and if they did not sure he'd accept due to being at Inter previously.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nobody liked the Benitez hire, either. And it turned out ptetty well (despite all the booing).

Benitez was a good hire. Hiddink couldn't get Netherlands to the Euros and seemed out of touch in doing so. This signing is Chelsea just going back to someone they know.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
Mourinho got the short end of the stick. He's still a great manager who has won it pretty much every league he has coached. I would definitely take him over Allegrei any day of the week.

When the majority of your squad doesn't want to play for you anymore, how is that the short end of the stick? Mourinho is one of the best tacticians, but he has no clue how to manage stars, look at his last few years in Madrid and now this past season with Chelsea.

Chelsea/Mourinho fans are pretty myopic. His football wasn't even entertaining to watch and it probably drove Abramovich crazy considering how much he has spent on the team.

Ancelotti and Pellegrini, two of the classiest coaches who seem to have the respect of the players. Funny how Madrid has burned through both. :shakehead

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
as a United fan I wouldn't mind it

Pellegrini would look better at United. United are in a pretty good position and have pretty good pieces in place. It's not as bad as everybody makes it seem.

It seems like pundits in England are comparing United to Chelsea and LVG to Mourinho. There is a massive gulf between both situations. Why not give a guy like Michael Laudrup a chance? Even Brendan Rodgers would be a smarter hire than Mourinho.

England is changing with the amount of money everybody has access to. You need to play positive football, and the table should show you as much. It just wears on players to do what Mourinho expects.

I still can't believe that I'm in the minority when I say all this stuff too.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Pellegrini would look better at United. United are in a pretty good position and have pretty good pieces in place. It's not as bad as everybody makes it seem.

It seems like pundits in England are comparing United to Chelsea and LVG to Mourinho. There is a massive gulf between both situations. Why not give a guy like Michael Laudrup a chance? Even Brendan Rodgers would be a smarter hire than Mourinho.

England is changing with the amount of money everybody has access to. You need to play positive football, and the table should show you as much. It just wears on players to do what Mourinho expects.

I still can't believe that I'm in the minority when I say all this stuff too.

Pellegrini is currenty at City which is an arch enemy. Don't see him managing United at all, and quite frankly don't like him.

None of the others either, Rogers managed the Scouse and doubt he would go to any top club. Don't think any fan nor United board would want him either.

Don't think United will give a "Laudrup" type caliber coach the spot next. It's gotta be one of the big names lined up in my opinion. Mou,Pep, Ancellotti. If not then they might go within and stick to what the buzz has been which is Giggs taking over after LVG. United fans won't cry too much about it because Giggs is a legend and the opportunity will be accepted. But we all know we don't want him to take over, at least not in a couple of years or right after LVG.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
What did Mourinho say about managing a different team in EPL other then Chelsea? I read it a lot about how his heart is with Chelsea but can't find it.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I want Giggs as manager, but he should take over in the summer. LVG will get us 3rd or 4th I believe. He is a proven winner and with the current squad. We are good enough for top4. We were title contenders at the season start. I wouldn't keep LVG past the summer, though. Giggs 20+years playing with a top3 if not the best manager of all time. 2years as an assistant to a proven experienced boss. Giggs is ready I know he is. Jose Mourinho began in 2000 with Benfica so he would be 37years old. Simeone is only 45. Giggs is around the age where the best managers began to manage a big club.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Mourinho was an assistant for many years under Bobby Robson and was very seasoned before getting work. He also didn't manage Benfica for very long and had to work his way up from a smaller club after he was quickly sacked.

Simeone had managed other teams for years before getting the Atletico job and building them into a big team.

Giggs isn't ready for anything but managing a team like Swansea. Maybe.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
Mourinho was an assistant for many years under Bobby Robson and was very seasoned before getting work. He also didn't manage Benfica for very long and had to work his way up from a smaller club after he was quickly sacked.

Simeone had managed other teams for years before getting the Atletico job and building them into a big team.

Giggs isn't ready for anything but managing a team like Swansea. Maybe.

pretty much this.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
pretty much this.
Milan is a good example of what happens when great players get pushed into managing a big team with no experience in management. Leonardo, Seedorf, and Inzaghi all failed. There are also countless examples of this in England, where assistant managers were pushed into higher roles. Like Sammy Lee and Steve Clarke. It doesn't work. Giggs has to leave United to eventually be able to manage United.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
United cant hire Giggs as manager right now. They already screwed up with Moyes and the play this year under LVG isnt much better. Meanwhile their two biggest rivals have hired top 10 managers in the world (City and Liverpool). They have already missed out on Ancelotti, Im not sure what other top manager they can hire other than Mourinho. I think Pochettino is very good but not sure he would leave Spurs for them. The next half of the season is going to determine the future of their club.

More and more clubs in England can spend money and it is making the league more competitive. They have already thrown around so much money under LVG and it hasnt done much for them yet. If they fail to get top 4 which I think they will, I see them going into a struggle. They shouldnt be dumb enough to appoint Giggs.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
United cant hire Giggs as manager right now. They already screwed up with Moyes and the play this year under LVG isn't much better. Meanwhile, their two biggest rivals have hired top 10 managers in the world (City and Liverpool). They have already missed out on Ancelotti, I'm not sure what another top manager they can hire other than Mourinho. I think Pochettino is very good but not sure he would leave Spurs for them. The next half of the season is going to determine the future of their club.

More and more clubs in England can spend money and it is making the league more competitive. They have already thrown around so much money under LVG and it hasn't done much for them yet. If they fail to get top 4 which I think they will, I see them going into a struggle. They shouldn't be dumb enough to appoint Giggs.

With all due respect who else is available? If Mourinho goes to a different team. Pep goes to City or Chelsea. Also, Jose didn't play 20 years under possibly the best manager of all time. Jose never played a professional game in his life. They are differences between them I am just saying Giggs, is around the age of where many top managers begin at a big club. LVG a top 15-20 if not a top 10 manager currently said Giggs will take over him after he is done at Utd. Doesn't that mean something if a proven manager says that? Doesn't it mean something an ex-legend like Giggs got experience from his playing days? I also bring up the question again who else after Pep and Mourinho assuming we can't get them? IMO Giggs is the next best option after those 2.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
With all due respect who else is available? If Mourinho goes to a different team. Pep goes to City or Chelsea.

Pep is going to City. Eddie Howe is going to get alot of attention for what he is doing at Bournemouth, not saying United would/should hire him but he is a fantastic manger. If they want a young English manager, he is the way to go. If not him, they could go after an older manager who has expieicnce in Europe while Giggs takes another job (there are rumors about Swansea already).

Also, Jose didn't play 20 years under possibly the best manager of all time. Jose never played a professional game in his life. They are differences between them I am just saying Giggs, is around the age of where many top managers begin at a big club. LVG a top 15-20 if not a top 10 manager currently said Giggs will take over him after he is done at Utd. Doesn't that mean something if a proven manager says that? Doesn't it mean something an ex-legend like Giggs got experience from his playing days?

Jose did a play a few professional games, but I understand your point. Wenger too played very few games. Sacchi never played a game professionally. There are other managers who played professionally but at lower leagues. In all sports we have seen great players become terrible coaches/managers. Managing these days probably more about managing egos as apposed X and O's.

I also bring up the question again who else after Pep and Mourinho assuming we can't get them? IMO Giggs is the next best option after those 2.

There is no sure answer, but I can tell you that Giggs isnt one of them. United is already on the downswing post Ferguson, and hiring Giggs most likely would mean the being a midtable team for the near future. You dont hand a club over like Manchester United to someone with zero managing experience. They are setting up for failure if they do, I would like it though if he is their next manager :).

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Pep is going to City. Eddie Howe is going to get alot of attention for what he is doing at Bournemouth, not saying United would/should hire him but he is a fantastic manger. If they want a young English manager, he is the way to go. If not him, they could go after an older manager who has expieicnce in Europe while Giggs takes another job (there are rumors about Swansea already).

Jose did a play a few professional games, but I understand your point. Wenger too played very few games. Sacchi never played a game professionally. There are other managers who played professionally but at lower leagues. In all sports we have seen great players become terrible coaches/managers. Managing these days probably more about managing egos as apposed X and O's.

There is no sure answer, but I can tell you that Giggs isnt one of them. United is already on the downswing post Ferguson, and hiring Giggs most likely would mean the being a midtable team for the near future. You dont hand a club over like Manchester United to someone with zero managing experience. They are setting up for failure if they do, I would like it though if he is their next manager :).

Wow I always thought Jose was in college then somehow went to Porto as some program or something. Didn't know he played. My bad there. Fair response. I see where you are coming from. I am not Giggs biggest fan. In fact. I rather see him go elsewhere or be an assistant 3-5 more years, but I see him as most likely candidate. Mourinho I'm 50/50 on

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
Milan is a good example of what happens when great players get pushed into managing a big team with no experience in management. Leonardo, Seedorf, and Inzaghi all failed. There are also countless examples of this in England, where assistant managers were pushed into higher roles. Like Sammy Lee and Steve Clarke. It doesn't work. Giggs has to leave United to eventually be able to manage United.

def that's my feeling as well. Also some players even if they have played for 20 years doesn't mean it translates into managament. Mourinho was never a pro player as far as I know. Also some people are naturals, even though Guardiola got the reigns of a magnificent team at least he was able to manage all those great players and conitue and develop a system that worked magic for them. Nevertheless some more experience is needed. Victor the current explayer now manager of Depor who is finding success was assistant manager since 2010 of various clubs. Luis Enrique has managed since 2008. I mean not to say that Giggs can turn out just fine and become the next Guardiola, but chances and logic says otherwise. Also as I've mentioned with United's current situation not sure the club is willing to take this chance just yet. Anyways, United doesn't seem to be a desired destination for some of the top current managers.As rumors have been circuling Pellegrini to Chelsea, Pep maybe to City, Ancelloti to Bayern and Mou is the only one left who in many ways does fit the United bill. United might be the most hated English team and Mou probably the most hated coach and United is almost like the type of team he's willing to take. Anyways will be interesting how everything pans out for next season as far as coaches etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad