Most sure player in the NHL right now to be a Seattle Kraken

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Some guesses:

Holtby, Bean, Compher, Jones, Copp, Engvall, Cernak & Johnson.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Might also be a good thread to guess who will be the first Captain of the Kraken.
My crazy conspiracy guess would be: Joe Pavelski

Dallas probably assumes Seattle has no interest in a 37 year old making 7 million on a one year year deal, so they won't protect him.

As a UFA deadline rental player, Pavelski could return decent value.

Pavelski is the consummate professional. Great locker room guy, has years of captain experience and could be a great leader for an expansion team without any young superstars.

The only weird part would be trading your first captain as a playoff rental. Not sure how that would be received....

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My crazy conspiracy guess would be: Joe Pavelski

Dallas probably assumes Seattle has no interest in a 37 year old making 7 million on a one year year deal, so they won't protect him.

As a UFA deadline rental player, Pavelski could return decent value.

Pavelski is the consummate professional. Great locker room guy, has years of captain experience and could be a great leader for an expansion team without any young superstars.

The only weird part would be trading your first captain as a playoff rental. Not sure how that would be received....
I think Pavs would make for a great choice as captain. He was truly amazing with the Sharks and a lot of Sharks fans believe that the lack of leadership he provided is one of the big reasons they have not been good for the last 2 years. You are right though, if you give him the 'C', trading him at the TDL would be rather awkward but you have to do right by him too (if he wants). He is going to be 37 by the time this season starts and probably wants a chance at winning the cup.

All this being said, Dallas probably does not want to expose Pavs. He led the team in points last season and brings all the leadership qualities you have mentioned. It would be bad asset management.

Reactions: MomoSissokko

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Might also be a good thread to guess who will be the first Captain of the Kraken.
I don't know if they do this or not but I am hoping we just hand out A's this year and no C. Not unless we are somehow able to sign or land a bonafide superstar in his 20's. Say we sign the likes of Hamilton or Landeskog then give them the C.

I am not convinced we find anyone in the expansion draft who can be our 'C' long term. Pavs (as listed above) could be a good choice but he would not stay here past this season anyway.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think Pavs would make for a great choice as captain. He was truly amazing with the Sharks and a lot of Sharks fans believe that the lack of leadership he provided is one of the big reasons they have not been good for the last 2 years. You are right though, if you give him the 'C', trading him at the TDL would be rather awkward but you have to do right by him too (if he wants). He is going to be 37 by the time this season starts and probably wants a chance at winning the cup.

All this being said, Dallas probably does not want to expose Pavs. He led the team in points last season and brings all the leadership qualities you have mentioned. It would be bad asset management.
I am sure you are right, and they will protect him.

Dickinson is valuable to Dallas, but probably the easiest to replace, so I think he is the odd man out when it comes to protecting forwards, and in that case, I believe Francis grabs Khudobin, as I think he will have the most trade value after the draft.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Am over it with TJ at this point. Don't care one bit that he's from Spokane.
Take Cernak or Goodrow or Coleman and let Tampa deal with the cap hell they've built for themselves.
Goodrow and Coleman are FA and there is ZERO chance Cernak isn't protected

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia

TB would have to go 4/4 if they protect Cernak. Hedman, Sergachev, Mcdonagh would need protecting in a 7/3 format. Kuch, Stamkos, Point, not sure who the 4th forward would be. Palat, Gourde, Cirelli, Killorn. You guys would have a great player available at forward in that format.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
McD is a fantastic player, but Cernak is younger and cheaper and getting better. TB will either go 4/4 or they will leave McD exposed or they will work out a deal to take Johnson. No matter what, though, Kraken are getting a good player from the bolts. Happy about that though since I'm a Seattle native and back in WA now.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

And that's fine, TB has a bunch of good players to choose from. Expensive as he is, I even like the idea of McD on this team.
As long as your collective fanbase gets it out of their heads that we are somehow stuck with Tyler Johnson, because we aren't.

Last edited:

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
And that's fine, TB has a bunch of good players to choose from. Expensive as he is, I even like the idea of McD on this team.
As long as your collective fanbase gets it out of their heads that we are somehow stuck with Tyler Johnson, because we aren't.
Well I can only speak for myself but the rhetoric about taking TJ just because he's from Spokane is stupid.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Well I can only speak for myself but the rhetoric about taking TJ just because he's from Spokane is stupid.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks Seattle would take Tyler Johnson straight up. I know I've said a few times I would be stoked to see Tyler Johnson here, not because of Tyler Johnson, but because Tampa would have to give us an absolute haul to make it happen.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

The only ones saying this are usually folks from other teams or journalists who're trying to justify the pick.

On this board the understanding has been that if we take Johnson it's because Tampa adds a nice sweetener.
And that sweetener would certainly be nicer for Johnson than it would be for us taking McDonagh, even though McDonagh is older and has a richer contract with more term.

Reactions: StarterHart

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
I don't think anyone seriously thinks Seattle would take Tyler Johnson straight up. I know I've said a few times I would be stoked to see Tyler Johnson here, not because of Tyler Johnson, but because Tampa would have to give us an absolute haul to make it happen.
I didn't even bother arguing with the people who say the Kraken will take Johnson because he's from "Seattle". I definitely don't point out that Seattle and Spokane are very different places (I've lived in both). I don't know if you've ever lived on the East coast, but anything west of about Chicago is all the same place to them, or just doesn't exist. It's wouldn't be a bad move for either team for Johnson to come to Seattle, but it would definitely take a significant amount of sweetening the pot.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I didn't even bother arguing with the people who say the Kraken will take Johnson because he's from "Seattle". I definitely don't point out that Seattle and Spokane are very different places (I've lived in both). I don't know if you've ever lived on the East coast, but anything west of about Chicago is all the same place to them, or just doesn't exist. It's wouldn't be a bad move for either team for Johnson to come to Seattle, but it would definitely take a significant amount of sweetening the pot.

Ha, I lived in Philly for 9 years, I know exactly what you mean.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
The only ones saying this are usually folks from other teams or journalists who're trying to justify the pick.

On this board the understanding has been that if we take Johnson it's because Tampa adds a nice sweetener.
And that sweetener would certainly be nicer for Johnson than it would be for us taking McDonagh, even though McDonagh is older and has a richer contract with more term.
A lot of fans are concerned that Seattle will take McD if he's exposed. It's definitely a gamble. He's older and has some years left on his contract, but he's also TB #2 at worst D-man, and that's only because Hedman is arguably #1 in the league when healthy. McD is a GREAT player and would more than likely wear the C on his sweater here.

Reactions: Silkytentacles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad