Most sure player in the NHL right now to be a Seattle Kraken

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I've Johnson going to Seattle too but with Dman Cal Foote kicked in wink wink or a 1st rounder and prospect M Joseph perhaps?
Really comes down to how much they are adding for us to take Johnson. Nobody grabbed him of waivers. He has negative value and will be a year older. He is still a useful player but not worth what he is paid.

Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Really comes down to how much they are adding for us to take Johnson. Nobody grabbed him of waivers. He has negative value and will be a year older. He is still a useful player but not worth what he is paid.
Definitely not worth his contract at this point!Tampa needs to add Cal Foote for sure and M Joseph or some other prospect...maybe Hugo Alnefelt?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Dermott looks like the best Toronto will offer unless some sort of deal is worked out. He has limited potential. but could play a third-pairing role perhaps.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Dermott looks like the best Toronto will offer unless some sort of deal is worked out. He has limited potential. but could play a third-pairing role perhaps.
I dont recall where I saw (EA expansion draft mode, cap friendly, blogs) but I recall seeing Mitch Marner being brought up as a potential Toronto exposure candidate. High salary & high talent - would seem like a no brainer to get a stud but also is Toronto that desperate to get rid of his contract?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I dont recall where I saw (EA expansion draft mode, cap friendly, blogs) but I recall seeing Mitch Marner being brought up as a potential Toronto exposure candidate. High salary & high talent - would seem like a no brainer to get a stud but also is Toronto that desperate to get rid of his contract?
I don't see that happening at all. Or trading him, which would be by far the more likely scenario. Especially as the Leafs offense gets iffy after the Big Four.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

That was on a blog called Jet City Ice and the way I read that it was more about good players maybe being available(thanks to financial troubles) and not actually Marner being available to us.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
you can’t select a UFA in the expansion draft. If the Oil are going to resign him they will have a deal in principle in place and pull the trigger after the draft.

This article says otherwise. Its specific to the Knights expansion draft but unless things have changed since then, we could draft a UFA in the expansion draft.

NHL Expansion Draft FAQ

They can select a player left unprotected by his current team, including a player scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. If they pick a pending UFA, they could sign him before July 1 or let him become a free agent.
The Golden Knights also have the option to sign any unprotected unrestricted free agent or restricted free agent during the expansion draft window.
They are the only team that has the ability to sign an unprotected UFA or RFA from another team between 10:01 a.m. ET on Sunday and 9:59 a.m. ET on Wednesday.
Vegas is forbidden from signing free agents included on the protection lists.

Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I have thought Dermott at times...usually I default to Pierre Engvall the big 6-5 Winger!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
you can’t select a UFA in the expansion draft. If the Oil are going to resign him they will have a deal in principle in place and pull the trigger after the draft.

We can sign a UFA during the 2 day exclusive FA window we have and that player becomes our pick from that team.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
McCann/Bluegar from PIT

I’d give you guys a 3rd to take McCann over Bluegar.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I just read an article that said the NHL is seriously considering cancelling the regular draft and having a double draft in 22. Wouldn't that royally screw the Kraken? Or dont they have picks in that. If so it would seem the league would have to throw the Kraken some kind of bone because that would put them way behind in development.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I just read an article that said the NHL is seriously considering cancelling the regular draft and having a double draft in 22. Wouldn't that royally screw the Kraken? Or dont they have picks in that. If so it would seem the league would have to throw the Kraken some kind of bone because that would put them way behind in development.

There is some chatter about this and if there was not a new team starting in 2021-22, it may not have been that big of a deal. As a Kraken fan, I don't like the idea of double draft because there would be a real good chance of a top-5 pick playing in his rookie year. On the flipside though, the scouts get more time to look at the prospects.

And yeah, if we miss our 1st draft I most definitely hope that we get some kind of bone thrown our way. And expansion team missing its first draft would also be bad from a publicity perspective.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's tough to get a feel for players this season. Most guys you can look to recent years to support your evaluation, but any player IMO who switched teams, or has a breakout year, you need to take that with a grain of salt given the format this season.

Are they lighting it up against a certain team? If so, is that team typically in the same division?

Like Tyler Toffoli has 13 points in 12 games. 11 points have come in 6 games vs Vancouver, who will not be in his division next season. Small sample size though, but that's one of the weird things about this season.

Your stats are against 6/7 teams only. So, definitely need to rely on prior years performances to support what the player does this season.

Reactions: sigma six

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Who are the players in the NHL that are Seattle born or from the nearby areas? If some of them have their contracts ending, then those would be the best selections for OP's question as they would most likely take a salary discount to play in the Kraken and that would be a good thing for Seattle Kraken so the management would do that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who are the players in the NHL that are Seattle born or from the nearby areas? If some of them have their contracts ending, then those would be the best selections for OP's question as they would most likely take a salary discount to play in the Kraken and that would be a good thing for Seattle Kraken so the management would do that.
Two of the most prominent are TJ Oshie and Tyler Johnson, but both have term left on their contracts and have slowed down. So, while it's nice to have that born in the state player, I wouldn't want them at their current cap hits without getting something to take on the remainder of their contracts.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Two of the most prominent are TJ Oshie and Tyler Johnson, but both have term left on their contracts and have slowed down. So, while it's nice to have that born in the state player, I wouldn't want them at their current cap hits without getting something to take on the remainder of their contracts.
Dylan Gambrell is from Bonnie Lake.

There is a small chance he gets picked but he has improved this season so the Sharks may end up protecting him.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

So perhaps they will join when their contracts end with a discount for a home return.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So perhaps they will join when their contracts end with a discount for a home return.
Oshie was drafted in 2005, so it’s going to be 16 years post draft for him in 2021 with like 3 more years on his contract. 18+ 19 year post draft would put him at like 37.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->