Most sure player in the NHL right now to be a Seattle Kraken

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Adam Henrique - he's the best Center they will get for free and his cap isn't all that bad for only 3 more years.
Give him some decent wingers and top line minutes and he'll produce well.

Reactions: wraparound

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Adam Henrique - he's the best Center they will get for free and his cap isn't all that bad for only 3 more years.
Give him some decent wingers and top line minutes and he'll produce well.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Please keep in line behind the other roughly 24 teams that want to give us a "great vet" with a "not so bad cap hit for multiple years" because he's "the best option".

;)

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation.

Please keep in line behind the other roughly 24 teams that want to give us a "great vet" with a "not so bad cap hit for multiple years" because he's "the best option".

;)
Lol Doesn't matter to us either way if Seattle takes Henrique or not. We have a massive ton of cap space and only want Henrique gone because he didn't care to give 100% effort during a tanked season. We are perfectly ok with his cap hit.

Perfectly fine losing one of Steel, Jones, Volkov or Mahura.
Just silly that Seattle will have Kerfoot centering their top line which means good news for the other Pacific division teams.

How on earth will Seattle be a playoff team with Kerfoot as their top line Center ?

So of all the options to find a passable center for Seattle's top line who do they pick ?
If this is the case they might be the 2nd worst team in the Pacific.
Arviddson and RNH off the market for Seattle and those 2 would have been huge additions for Seattle.
Topline with RNH/Arvidsson sounds alot better than Kerfoot/Foegele.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Lol Doesn't matter to us either way if Seattle takes Henrique or not. We have a massive ton of cap space and only want Henrique gone because he didn't care to give 100% effort during a tanked season. We are perfectly ok with his cap hit.

Just silly that Seattle will have Kerfoot centering their top line which means good news for the other Pacific division teams.

How on earth will Seattle be a playoff team with Kerfoot as their top line Center ?

So of all the options to find a passable center for Seattle's top line who do they pick ?
Arviddson and RNH off the market for Seattle and those 2 would have been huge additions for Seattle.

Where exactly did you rank William Karlsson when the Golden Knights picked him?

We've got a pretty big analytics department scouting and comparing players trying to find good value and guys that might be able to take the next step if given a bigger role with better linemates.

Henrique, who seems to have not been given his all(according to you), has three more years $5.825 mil left on his contract and has been a 0.54 ppg player for the last three seasons.

I'm not going to throw around the "what Anaheim would have to add" card here because it makes no sense given your cap space and all of that.

Still, we're probably better off taking a flyer on one of your younger guys(Mahura, Jones, Steel etc.) instead of going for Henrique.

BTW: You're arguing just like all those other posters telling us how great it would be to add a certain veteran with declining production + bigger cap hit with term(at least three years) and that their contracts "aren't that bad, because you're an expansion team".

I think overall it doesn't make sense for us to add Henrique and therefore we're better off looking at other options.

No harm, no foul.

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

What the team looks like right after the ED is only the beginning, the roster will change quite a bit before the season starts.
They'll have a surplus of assets to trade, and free agents to sign. Some of the FAs may balk at joining an expansion team but money talks, and no one is going to have more money than Seattle.

FWIW I like Henrique and think he'd be a good add.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
To be fair, Anaheim traded Karlsson to CBJ, horrible trade still. But that wasn’t an expansion draft error by Bob. His error was with Theodore.

Had absolutely nothing to do with Anaheim trading him.

It was just to point out that the #1 center of the Golden Knights, during their first season, was former 4th liner William Karlsson who had one goal the season before.

You certainly can't expect something exactly like that repeating itself, but it just shows that there are a couple of guys in the bottom six of teams that could do way more if given the chance.

And those are the guys you should target and not the aging, overpriced vets with a higher cap hit and term on their contracts.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What the team looks like right after the ED is only the beginning, the roster will change quite a bit before the season starts.
They'll have a surplus of assets to trade, and free agents to sign. Some of the FAs may balk at joining an expansion team but money talks, and no one is going to have more money than Seattle.

FWIW I like Henrique and think he'd be a good add.
I think Henrique will be a decent add as well. We will need to fill out our top-6 with atleast some proven and legit top-6 forwards. So I expect picking atleast some in the expansion draft and will most likely be picking some with 2 year contracts or less.

Reactions: StarterHart

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020

well, you sure lit a fire in here today. I guess we all have some soul searching to do tonight.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I've Johnson going to Seattle too but with Dman Cal Foote kicked in wink wink or a 1st rounder and prospect M Joseph perhaps?
Foote was terrible this year, pass

Edit: Saw your Joseph post late, agreed.

Tampa would be stupid to give up Joseph though.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Sounds like you really want the Habs to get rid of that contract. That is why Seattle doesn't start out with that contract.
Unless you have ties to the area like Tyler Johnson. I actually think that trade would be great for both teams.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
A lot of fans are concerned that Seattle will take McD if he's exposed. It's definitely a gamble. He's older and has some years left on his contract, but he's also TB #2 at worst D-man, and that's only because Hedman is arguably #1 in the league when healthy. McD is a GREAT player and would more than likely wear the C on his sweater here.
Thats why Tampa will work out a trade before the draft. Tampa is in a weird situation in that they have probably 5 solid players that Seattle can only choose 1 of.

I’m assuming in the situation of not getting a deal done for Johnson, Cernak would then be taken by Seattle. McDonagh won’t be touched because of his contract, imo. Cernak is affordable and an obvious minimum second line Dman. No brainer for Seattle.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thats why Tampa will work out a trade before the draft. Tampa is in a weird situation in that they have probably 5 solid players that Seattle can only choose 1 of.

I’m assuming in the situation of not getting a deal done for Johnson, Cernak would then be taken by Seattle. McDonagh won’t be touched because of his contract, imo. Cernak is affordable and an obvious minimum second line Dman. No brainer for Seattle.
TB would be wise to leave McDonaugh exposed. He is 32 with 5 years and $6.8 mill cap hit. If he is chosen he doesn’t benefit Seattle unless they are another Vegas and competes right away. Otherwise the best years are wasted in a building team. Even in trade the other team will ask you to take back either a bad contract or retain. So if you took McDonaugh you need to ensure that a trade is done first.

and I wouldn’t touch Tyler Johnson. $5 mill for 3 years for a guy who has been dropping in production down to a 33 point pace? Hard pass imo. Better to use that $5 mill on a guy who can contribute. You’d have to get a great return to take him, otherwise pass and take someone else.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
TB would be wise to leave McDonaugh exposed. He is 32 with 5 years and $6.8 mill cap hit. If he is chosen he doesn’t benefit Seattle unless they are another Vegas and competes right away. Otherwise the best years are wasted in a building team. Even in trade the other team will ask you to take back either a bad contract or retain. So if you took McDonaugh you need to ensure that a trade is done first.

and I wouldn’t touch Tyler Johnson. $5 mill for 3 years for a guy who has been dropping in production down to a 33 point pace? Hard pass imo. Better to use that $5 mill on a guy who can contribute. You’d have to get a great return to take him, otherwise pass and take someone else.
I actually agree with your take not sure why I didn’t look at this option before. Perhaps it was because McDonagh was the best dman on the ice during Tampa’s Stanley Cup run this year.

So If I’m Tampa the logical 7/3/1 defense kept:
Hedman
Cernak
Serg

Now on the Tyler Johnson point I slightly disagree. Sure he’s no longer a 1st line center but he showed in the finals he can still turn it on and score goals and play good hockey when it matters. He’d be a great 3rd/4th center option but like you said Seattle probably won’t take him unless there is a sweetener like Johnson, Joseph and a 2023 high draft pick.

I do think Tampa is in quite a tough situation and considering there won’t be anyone better than Joseph to pick if they don’t agree to a trade I think it’s in Seattle’s best interest to also work something out.

The weird situation here is if Seattle says screw it takes McDonagh and esentially hurts Tampa’s deep run chances albeit alleviating cap space for them in the process.

It’s clear that another player will need to be moved as well via trade in likely either Gourde, some have said Palat but I don’t actually see Tampa moving a first line winger.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I actually agree with your take not sure why I didn’t look at this option before. Perhaps it was because McDonagh was the best dman on the ice during Tampa’s Stanley Cup run this year.

So If I’m Tampa the logical 7/3/1 defense kept:
Hedman
Cernak
Serg

Now on the Tyler Johnson point I slightly disagree. Sure he’s no longer a 1st line center but he showed in the finals he can still turn it on and score goals and play good hockey when it matters. He’d be a great 3rd/4th center option but like you said Seattle probably won’t take him unless there is a sweetener like Johnson, Joseph and a 2023 high draft pick.

I do think Tampa is in quite a tough situation and considering there won’t be anyone better than Joseph to pick if they don’t agree to a trade I think it’s in Seattle’s best interest to also work something out.

The weird situation here is if Seattle says screw it takes McDonagh and esentially hurts Tampa’s deep run chances albeit alleviating cap space for them in the process.

It’s clear that another player will need to be moved as well via trade in likely either Gourde, some have said Palat but I don’t actually see Tampa moving a first line winger.
Does what Seattle get back from taking then trading McDonaugh enough to have them take back a bad contract or retain on him? That’s the issue with them.

If TB went 4/4/1 and protected McDonaugh they have kucherov, stamkos, Point and cirelli up front. If they did that I’d take palat with the intention of trading him for assets.

I just disagree with Johnson because i think there is better use of $5 mill then on a guy declining to a 30 point pace. Is he a good defensive C? He’s not in the Phil Danault class.

between taking TJ or going out and signing Danualt I’d probably go after Danault.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
The only way TJ goes anywhere is if there are assets attached. Lightning fans understand that. I do think his playoff performance will help move him, make it cost less. I’m of the belief Tampa should go 7-3-1 and protect.....

Vassy
Heddy Cernek Serge
Point Kuch Stammer Cirelli Guorde Colton Joseph

Big gamble with McDonagh but I think Seattle would go Palat, Killiorn or Foote. Palat and Killer are very productive with only 1-2 years left on their deals. Foote would be the pick if Seattle likes him. Just don’t know.

That’s if a deal isn’t worked out for TJ

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Does what Seattle get back from taking then trading McDonaugh enough to have them take back a bad contract or retain on him? That’s the issue with them.

If TB went 4/4/1 and protected McDonaugh they have kucherov, stamkos, Point and cirelli up front. If they did that I’d take palat with the intention of trading him for assets.

I just disagree with Johnson because i think there is better use of $5 mill then on a guy declining to a 30 point pace. Is he a good defensive C? He’s not in the Phil Danault class.

between taking TJ or going out and signing Danualt I’d probably go after Danault.
It would be somewhat similar what they’d get for Johnson or multiple high picks in the 2023 draft.
I personally think McDonagh’s contract is a bit high for Seattle but he would likely be the face of the team and a good player to have leading the D.

I’d probably argue Johnson will give you more scoring but each centerman has different skill sets and yes Johnson has declined to some degree while Danaught was the #1 center on a Stanley cup finalist.

I wouldn’t say Johnson is good or bad on defense. He plays hard and hustles but you wouldn’t draft him as a center dman no.

Is Montreal not going to resign Danaught? They have zero offense and probably won’t see the playoffs for another 10 years.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
The only way TJ goes anywhere is if there are assets attached. Lightning fans understand that. I do think his playoff performance will help move him, make it cost less. I’m of the belief Tampa should go 7-3-1 and protect.....

Vassy
Heddy Cernek Serge
Point Kuch Stammer Cirelli Guorde Colton Joseph

Big gamble with McDonagh but I think Seattle would go Palat, Killiorn or Foote. Palat and Killer are very productive with only 1-2 years left on their deals. Foote would be the pick if Seattle likes him. Just don’t know.

That’s if a deal isn’t worked out for TJ

If Tampa keeps its young guns in Colton and Joseph and leaves open Palat, Killorn and Foote there is really only one option. Killorn just broke his Fibula and while productive I would imagine Seattle would be gun shy of picking him. Foote probably had the worst year he could in terms of production I can’t see why Seattle would want to take a chance on him. Palat is a great player would suck to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad