Most sure player in the NHL right now to be a Seattle Kraken

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I find it absolutely strange that people think we would take on Price or even give up something to take on that contract.

Given his age, injuries and regular season performances during the last 3- 5 years there's just no way I would touch that contract, even if he's having a nice run during the playoffs.

Also, thanks to all the things I've just mentioned the only ones adding something would be Montreal, especially during a time of a flat cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: brewski420

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I find it absolutely strange that people think we would take on Price or even give up something to take on that contract.

Given his age, injuries and regular season performances during the last 3- 5 years there's just no way I would touch that contract, even if he's having a nice run during the playoffs.

Also, thanks to all the things I've just mentioned the only ones adding something would be Montreal, especially during a time of a flat cap.
Which goalie do you want to win the cup?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Fans from every team have blinders on to some degree. They will trash their own players privately but publicly will acclaim them as their savior after a string of a few good games. I am fairly certain that before this seasons playoff run fans in Montreal would be willing to add to get rid of that Price contract by adding but now have done a 180 on that.

We don't even have any NHL players but we are similar too. We are being very picky about not taking on expensive players (even if they are useful) unless there are significant (and in some case ridiculous) additions to those players. Even as a Kraken fan I feel that a lot of our fans are seriously overestimating how much other GM's will pay for taking on expensive contracts (for still useful players) because its a flat cap.

Another thing I have realized in my few years following hockey is that GM's view things significantly different than fans do. There have been a few times when Sharks fans have not wanted to trade our own players for atleast a 1st + or pay no more than a 3rd for some other teams players and have been seriously wrong with our thinking. A lot of times GM may just 'overpay' to appease other GM's and not burn bridges. Yes, this is a business at the end of the day but there are only 32 teams in the league and generally a list of rotating GM's. Pissing your colleagues off is not a good idea if you want to last long in this league.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Which goalie do you want to win the cup?

It won't be Carey Price, who ticks every box that says "avoid" given his age, contract and term.

So even if you would leave him unprotected there's no way Seattle takes that contract without some really nice sweeteners.

Fans from every team have blinders on to some degree. They will trash their own players privately but publicly will acclaim them as their savior after a string of a few good games. I am fairly certain that before this seasons playoff run fans in Montreal would be willing to add to get rid of that Price contract by adding but now have done a 180 on that.

We don't even have any NHL players but we are similar too. We are being very picky about not taking on expensive players (even if they are useful) unless there are significant (and in some case ridiculous) additions to those players. Even as a Kraken fan I feel that a lot of our fans are seriously overestimating how much other GM's will pay for taking on expensive contracts (for still useful players) because its a flat cap.

Another thing I have realized in my few years following hockey is that GM's view things significantly different than fans do. There have been a few times when Sharks fans have not wanted to trade our own players for atleast a 1st + or pay no more than a 3rd for some other teams players and have been seriously wrong with our thinking. A lot of times GM may just 'overpay' to appease other GM's and not burn bridges. Yes, this is a business at the end of the day but there are only 32 teams in the league and generally a list of rotating GM's. Pissing your colleagues off is not a good idea if you want to last long in this league.

It's absolute fine and normal that every teams fans overrate their own players and want to moon for them, while giving next to nothing to aquire other teams players.

That's why it's called being fans.

GM's having a different look on things is normal too, but I would advise you to read the article by the Athletic which clearly shows that staying away from those contracts(you've just mentioned) is way more likely and one of the reasons why Vegas was able to built their roster.

It just makes way more sense to go for a younger, more unproven player instead of the veteran whos production doesn't meet his contract.
It also helps during free agency as you don't open up cap space for others who then become rivals in signing certain players.

BTW: I don't expect all those things, which I ask in those proposals, to actually happen but to me it's just really important to stay away from those long term, high cap hit contracts of aging or underperforming players.
It's just way too easy to get yourself into cap hell and taking guys like Price or even one of the Nashville guys could be the first step towards that.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Montreal's owner cares a ton about PR, I very highly doubt they would even ask Price to waive his NMC for expansion in the first place after the playoffs they're having. Even if Bergevin did ask, Price holds the cards in that scenario. In addition, as mentioned his contract is highly burdensome and too long for any goalie, especially one with his injury history. That would leave Jake Allen exposed, who would potentially be a decent pickup for Seattle.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Montreal's owner cares a ton about PR, I very highly doubt they would even ask Price to waive his NMC for expansion in the first place after the playoffs they're having. Even if Bergevin did ask, Price holds the cards in that scenario. In addition, as mentioned his contract is highly burdensome and too long for any goalie, especially one with his injury history. That would leave Jake Allen exposed, who would potentially be a decent pickup for Seattle.
Over 4 million for Allen why would they select him? Plenty of better goalies for about same price or less they could select. As example Cam Talbot sure he is few years older but less money and better last season. Just need one veteran goalie then 2 younger goalies

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Over 4 million for Allen why would they select him? Plenty of better goalies for about same price or less they could select. As example Cam Talbot sure he is few years older but less money and better last season. Just need one veteran goalie then 2 younger goalies

He signed a contract extension at $2.875 for two years which kicks in this summer.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You are probably right on there,but since he played Junior with the Seattle Thunderbirds I thought I'd try to slide that by...good catch...I have always penciled in Adam Larsson as the player coming over from the OilersView attachment 380100 View attachment 380101

He is actually UFA and we oiler fans, we have put our tin foil hats tightly on and have convinced ourselves that he has an agreement to sign with the team on July 1st.

However--caleb jones is acting like he is a Kraken already

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I dont recall where I saw (EA expansion draft mode, cap friendly, blogs) but I recall seeing Mitch Marner being brought up as a potential Toronto exposure candidate. High salary & high talent - would seem like a no brainer to get a stud but also is Toronto that desperate to get rid of his contract?

no, the leafs are not going to lose Mitch Marner for nothing. He was 4th overall is pts this season, 11th overall in pts the last 2 seasons and 8th over the last 3 seasons. Matthews is sitting at 11th in pts over the past 3 seasons

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Goaltenders once established last a long time in career when they reach consistent All-Star status! Besides Price is what 34 this year? Hardly time to panic?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
He is actually UFA and we oiler fans, we have put our tin foil hats tightly on and have convinced ourselves that he has an agreement to sign with the team on July 1st.

However--caleb jones is acting like he is a Kraken already
They would like to but the Oilers are going to be in the "hunt" for ex-Oiler T Hall! Besides Evan Bouchard is going to fill in quite well!

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
You are probably right on there,but since he played Junior with the Seattle Thunderbirds I thought I'd try to slide that by...good catch...I have always penciled in Adam Larsson as the player coming over from the OilersView attachment 380100 View attachment 380101

It will be Caelb jones to a high certainty.
'Larsson and Bear is highly regarded by Holland.'
Klefbom will be free to pick. But I doubt Seattle even consider him.

Second thought is Archiblad, then Kassian, Benson, then Lagesson.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Eberle, Komarov, and 2 2nds. Does that get a deal from the Isles?
Same sentiments as what @RainyCityHockey said. Though I think its close.

Eberle while still a useful player is slightly overpaid and on the books for 3 more seasons. Komarov on the other hand is a pure cap damp with only 1 more year left on the books.

This would be palatable if Eberle only had 1 or 2 more seasons left but at 3, I think it will take more than 2 2nd's for us to take on both him and Komarov.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

Eberle while still a useful player is slightly overpaid and on the books for 3 more seasons. Komarov on the other hand is a pure cap damp with only 1 more year left on the books.

This would be palatable if Eberle only had 1 or 2 more seasons left but at 3, I think it will take more than 2 2nd's for us to take on both him and Komarov.
Agree there need to be a good prospect or next years first instead in there to make that happen. To be honest, probably both instead of the 2s

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Komarov's cap hit is $3M but his actual salary is $2M. I can see a dumpster fire team like the Wings taking on his contract for a 2nd.

I don't think it's wise for the Kraken to pick up a pure cap dump, the player needs to have some usefulness. Pure cap dumps are for teams that are tanking.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00