Most sure player in the NHL right now to be a Seattle Kraken

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Am over it with TJ at this point. Don't care one bit that he's from Spokane.
Take Cernak or Goodrow or Coleman and let Tampa deal with the cap hell they've built for themselves.

Yep. I cannot see one good reason not to take the best player available from Tampa. There are several players that'll be exposed that are much better than Johnson and worth taking in lieu of "sweeteners". You don't pick from that pool of players looking for sweeteners, there are 25 other teams that can be done with.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yep. I cannot see one good reason not to take the best player available from Tampa. There are several players that'll be exposed that are much better than Johnson and worth taking in lieu of "sweeteners". You don't pick from that pool of players looking for sweeteners, there are 25 other teams that can be done with.
TJ would not be taken in the expansion draft anyway. He would be a side deal with either some retention and/or sweeteners added. Taking TJ in the expansion would probably not be the BPA choice but more of a 'let me do a favor for now' kind of choice.

Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I'd take Johnson but only if Tampa throws in Foote,Joseph,Alnefelt and a 1st rounder or 2(2023 and 2025)!

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Bunch of wild deals here for Tyler Johnson. With the Arvidsson and Keith deals Johnsons value isn't very negative (if it is at all). He is a solid player. His lower point total was due to 4th line minutes on an absolutely stacked team. The Kraken do have leverage though.

If no side deal is set up the options for the Kraken will be:
Johnson, McD, Joseph

You MAY get a late round pick to sweeten it to take Johnson. But the Bolts just may say screw it and pick who you want. Taking McD solves our salary issue (although it hurts). Taking Johnson would be nice too. You could take Joseph which would hurt the most as then we'd have to turn around and trade two forwards post expansion draft (and not have Joseph to replace). You may be able to get Palat/Killorn/Gourde for free but the Bolts can definitely get assets for them so that seems doubtful.

My non-educated guess is it'll be Johnson + a 5th to the Kraken. How high of a pick would you need to take Johnson instead of McD/Joseph? Frankly it can't be much. The gamble is if the Bolts trade Palat/Killorn soon then Joseph becomes protected.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020

FYI, Coleman/Goodrow are FAs. Tampa has to make a ton of cap moves, but the Kraken will be pretty limited to Johnson/Joseph/McDonagh. It'll be Johnson + a low round pick or Joseph. I don't see why the Kraken would want McD with that contract. I'm not sure on all the trade rules but it could make sense to do a Palat + Johnson for a pick type deal as well. Or the Lightning will just say screw it and pick between Johnson, McD and Joseph.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Bunch of wild deals here for Tyler Johnson. With the Arvidsson and Keith deals Johnsons value isn't very negative (if it is at all). He is a solid player. His lower point total was due to 4th line minutes on an absolutely stacked team. The Kraken do have leverage though.

Johnson, McD, Joseph

You MAY get a late round pick to sweeten it to take Johnson. But the Bolts just may say screw it and pick who you want. Taking McD solves our salary issue (although it hurts). Taking Johnson would be nice too. You could take Joseph which would hurt the most as then we'd have to turn around and trade two forwards post expansion draft (and not have Joseph to replace). You may be able to get Palat/Killorn/Gourde for free but the Bolts can definitely get assets for them so that seems doubtful.

My non-educated guess is it'll be Johnson + a 5th to the Kraken. How high of a pick would you need to take Johnson instead of McD/Joseph? Frankly it can't be much. The gamble is if the Bolts trade Palat/Killorn soon then Joseph becomes protected.
Have no interest in McD or Johnson to be honest. People are all of a sudden using the trades as a benchmark for how Francis will deal with taking on such contracts.

A 5th for Johnson is laughable. I hope we just take one of Foote, Cernak or Johnson. The cheaper option that is available. Let the Bolts deal with their cap issues outside of Seattle.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Johnson, McD, Joseph

From the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Seattle Kraken select Matthieu Joseph and his $737,500 cap hit.

Best of luck to Tampa in their dealings with other teams and their own players(their agents) to try and unload those contracts who now have an NTC as well. :thumbu:

Have no interest in McD or Johnson to be honest. People are all of a sudden using the trades as a benchmark for how Francis will deal with taking on such contracts.

A 5th for Johnson is laughable. I hope we just take one of Foote, Cernak or Johnson. The cheaper option that is available. Let the Bolts deal with their cap issues outside of Seattle.

I think you meant Joseph. ;)

And yes, it's funny how all of a sudden people believe they can just get rid of unwanted contracts for some spare parts.
We still don't have Ken Holland acting as our GM....

BTW: Like we've talked about before, I'd also be prepared for everyone to laugh at our expansion draft roster, while keep on talking sh** about what we can get and what we have to take until then.

Just seems to be the way with NHL expansion teams during the "social media era".

Last edited:
Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
From the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Seattle Kraken select Matthieu Joseph and his $737,500 cap hit.

Best of luck to Tampa in their dealings with other teams and their own players(their agents) to try and unload those contracts who now have an NTC as well. :thumbu:

And yes, it's funny how all of a sudden people believe they can just get rid of unwanted contracts for some spare parts.

BTW: Like we've talked about before, I'd also be prepared for everyone to laugh at our expansion draft roster, while keep on talking sh** about what we can get and what we have to take until then.

Just seems to be the way with NHL expansion teams during the "social media era".
Best deal they could make is not helping Tampa and if every team does not help they will have to do something drastic. Like buyout player(s) which would be pretty fun.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020

On an open market the Bolts should be able to give away Johnson this year. Perhaps not get a pick, but he isn't negative value. The only reason we would give a sweetener is so you don't take Colton/Joseph/Foote. So we will certainly offer a sweetener. What the sweetener is a bit of game theory. The are probably worth a 3rd maybe a 2nd to us. But since Johnson shouldn't have negative value anymore, we shouldn't have to give that full value to protect them. Which is why I think it'll settle around a 4th or 5th.

But some of the deals here are laughable. Why would we give up Colton/Joseph/Foote as a sweetener if the entire purpose is to protect them?

If the Kraken take one of our youngsters, then we will just deal 2 of the 3 between Palat/Killorn/Johnson. Between those 2 deals we will net some picks. The Bolts would be perfectly fine keeping Johnson and dealing Palat/Killorn if it came down to it. The difference between those players isn't huge.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
On an open market the Bolts should be able to give away Johnson this year. Perhaps not get a pick, but he isn't negative value. The only reason we would give a sweetener is so you don't take Colton/Joseph/Foote. So we will certainly offer a sweetener. But some of the deals here are laughable. Why would we give up Colton/Joseph/Foote as a sweetener if the entire purpose is to protect them?

If the Kraken take one of our youngsters, then we will just deal 2 of the 3 between Palat/Killorn/Johnson. Between those 2 deals we will net some picks.
You guys should do that. Only makes sense. You are not going to get any picks from us.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Yeah. Meant Joseph.

People seem to forget the Kraken are in a position of strength. If we choose to not take highly capped players in the expansion we can use that to sign players in FA.

Its pretty damn simple. If a GM can get better value than dealing with the Kraken, they should. Just like if Francis sees a deal that does not make sense to the franchise, he should walk away.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Best deal they could make is not helping Tampa and if every team does not help they will have to do something drastic. Like buyout player(s) which would be pretty fun.
Yeah. I am starting to see this as well. Every team that has players that it wants to get rid of has fans chiming in about how they can get value for said players. If this was indeed the case, or will be the case, then they won't deal with us. Simple as that.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah. I am starting to see this as well. Every team that has players that it wants to get rid of has fans chiming in about how they can get value for said players. If this was indeed the case, or will be the case, then they won't deal with us. Simple as that.

Yep.

That's why I'm also just leaning back and watch them do their dealings before the expansion draft.

Either something is available to us or it just isn't and if teams want to dump contracts but not add enough of a sweetener you just stay away and let them deal with it after the expansion draft.

Keeps cap space to ourselves while those teams can then try and make all those deals their fans are telling us about.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Taking Johnson is just silly. It's a decision that I don't see the sense in, unless you're a Tampa fan. Makes a WHOLE lot of sense there. Which is a great sign that it's a bad idea for Seattle. He's paid too much for what you get, sweetener or not. Especially when there are quality players like that with next to no cap hit. That 4.75m difference can really open things up for Seattle.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020

That sounds great in Fantasy Hockey, but GMs have their own teams and careers to worry about. They aren't going to hurt their team because they want to stick it to the Lightning. Just like they aren't going to make a deal just to help the Lightning.

Palat and Killorn absolutely have positive value. Palat at the trade deadline will net a very high pick. So getting under the cap is no problem.

I think the confusion comes from people thinking the Johnson deal is awful, which at this point it doesn't even have negative value. Last year is a bit different than this year. And that they also think the Lightning want to get rid of Johnson.

Lets say I'm wrong and no team wants Johnson for free unless there is a massive sweetener. The Bolts know Johnson is a borderline top 6 guy that played on the 4th line. If nobody wants him, then fine. We deal Palat and Killorn for picks. And then Johnson gets bumped to the 2nd line. Johnson will do plenty fine in that role.

For the Kraken it'll be Johnson + a mid range pick or Colton/Joseph/Foote. McDonagh is the wildcard. All are great options for the Kraken and all Bolts fans would be sad to see any of those guys go. But the Kraken won't get Johnson + Colton + a high pick.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yep.

That's why I'm also just leaning back and watch them do their dealings before the expansion draft.

Either something is available to us or it just isn't and if teams want to dump contracts but not add enough of a sweetener you just stay away and let them deal with it after the expansion draft.

Keeps cap space to ourselves while those teams can then try and make all those deals their fans are telling us about.

Yep. Infact that is where Francis can tighten the screws on the teams. By the time the lists are handed over to us, Francis will have a solid idea on which teams are worth making deals with. We don't have to make deals with other teams and there are bound to be certain teams that are desperate to off-load players/cap space. If not, we can just pick the BPA on that roster, even if it is someone who will never see the light of day in the NHL.

I have voiced from day 1 that we are not going to be Vegas. We are most likely going to be bubble team at best, simply because of how bad the Pacific is.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
A slight change of subject. With Parise and Oshie being guys who played for Hakstol in UND... what do you figure the chances are they they have a soft spot for each other and end up Kraken? For better or worse of course. Not sure how I actually feel about either at this stage in their career. You could say it's just a conversation piece.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That sounds great in Fantasy Hockey, but GMs have their own teams and careers to worry about. They aren't going to hurt their team because they want to stick it to the Lightning. Just like they aren't going to make a deal just to help the Lightning.

Palat and Killorn absolutely have positive value. Palat at the trade deadline will net a very high pick. So getting under the cap is no problem.

I think the confusion comes from people thinking the Johnson deal is awful, which at this point it doesn't even have negative value. Last year is a bit different than this year. And that they also think the Lightning want to get rid of Johnson.

Lets say I'm wrong and no team wants Johnson for free unless there is a massive sweetener. The Bolts know Johnson is a borderline top 6 guy that played on the 4th line. If nobody wants him, then fine. We deal Palat and Killorn for picks. And then Johnson gets bumped to the 2nd line. Johnson will do plenty fine in that role.

For the Kraken it'll be Johnson + a mid range pick or Colton/Joseph/Foote. McDonagh is the wildcard. All are great options for the Kraken and all Bolts fans would be sad to see any of those guys go. But the Kraken won't get Johnson + Colton + a high pick.

Why are you trying so hard to convince us about Johnson's deal? We really don't care and have little interest in said player. You think he is valuable enough, then keep him. If you can get better value for him, trade him there. Don't mean to offend but you sound like a used cars salesman.

Go ahead and look at the discussion on the main board if you want a more neutral outlook at what they are saying about Johnson. Even most of the Bolts fans believe it will cost a 1st to get rid of him.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Taking Johnson is just silly. It's a decision that I don't see the sense in, unless you're a Tampa fan. Makes a WHOLE lot of sense there. Which is a great sign that it's a bad idea for Seattle. He's paid too much for what you get, sweetener or not. Especially when there are quality players like that with next to no cap hit. That 4.75m difference can really open things up for Seattle.

The Bolts view Johnson a lot higher than other teams. Ultimately I bet the Kraken just take Colton/Joseph/Foote. The Bolts get some picks for Palat/Killorn. Then they plug Johnson on the 1st or 2nd line and he goes 20/30 this year which is what he has always done when he plays with more skilled players.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
A slight change of subject. With Parise and Oshie being guys who played for Hakstol in UND... what do you figure the chances are they they have a soft spot for each other and end up Kraken? For better or worse of course. Not sure how I actually feel about either at this stage in their career. You could say it's just a conversation piece.
As conversation it's fine but don't see either player ended up in Seattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad