LeBrun: Montreal not looking to trade Petry or Tatar.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
The habs even if they made the playoffs will be finished in round 1 or 2 so why not do a proper rebuild so this team can actually compete for a CUP?
The track record of teams tearing things down the studs and winning Cups later is really not all that great. The only guarantee of going that route is a few years of dreadful hockey.

No thanks.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
You really think they can contend when in the playoffs? Seriously? Being a middle/bottom of the pack team for the past couple of seasons is pretty indicative that a rebuild should be happening.
Umm...read again. I said, contend for a playoff spot. I never said they are contending to win the cup. We are pushing to become a middle of the pack team, not to ice a team that can win. Playoffs are our goal and how we measure success. ;)

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
If you can't make the playoff, your young players don't get playoff experience and without that, forget about ever winning a cup. It,s not like the habs are not stockpilling picks and don't have a great prospect pool. The way I see it, at this point it is better to build a competing team and have a winning mentality until the prospects can add that much required debt to become contenders.

That is much better than being Buffalo or the Oilers
Know what the difference between the Habs and the rest of the NHL teams is? They almost all have a super star player or close to super star status game breaking player that can shift the tide of the game on his own that type of player the Habs do not have and we need one. We need to actually draft top 5 to start our search we are stuck in the middle which is the worst possible spot. We arent winning anything and we arent losing enough to draft high impact guys.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
The track record of teams tearing things down the studs and winning Cups later is really not all that great. The only guarantee of going that route is a few years of dreadful hockey.

No thanks.
The track record of teams stuck in the middle of the pack purgatory is really not all that great either. The only guarantee of going that route is a few more decades of middle of the pack hockey...

Reactions: Slashers98

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Know what the difference between the Habs and the rest of the NHL teams is? They almost all have a super star player or close to super star status game breaking player that can shift the tide of the game on his own that type of player the Habs do not have and we need one. We need to actually draft top 5 to start our search we are stuck in the middle which is the worst possible spot. We arent winning anything and we arent losing enough to draft high impact guys.

@pepperMonkey what this guy said

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
And fans of yesterday are eager to scorch the earth because they realize this core isn't good enough to contend, let alone win, and at this rate, without scorched earth, they won't live long enough to see their team win again.

How many teams have recently turned into "perennial contenders" after scorching the earth?

Florida, Buffalo, Arizona, Carolina, Toronto, Edmonton, New Jersey are still either on the bubble or outside it.

Not every team can turn into Pittsburgh or Chicago. In fact they seem to be the exception rater than the rule and by far.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
It's just posturing. I remember when Kovalchuk would either get a 2nd or re-sign. Then Bergevin took a late 3rd (which was still good).

If someone comes with a great offer, Bergevin will take it. Will he look to get whatever he can? No.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
How many teams have recently turned into "perennial contenders" after scorching the earth?

Florida, Buffalo, Arizona, Carolina, Toronto, Edmonton, New Jersey are still either on the bubble or outside it.

Not every team can turn into Pittsburgh or Chicago. In fact they seem to be the exception rater than the rule and by far.
Habs cant even entice mediocre players to come play in montreal let alone star players. I rather the habs lose and draft high then be stuck in the middle where nothing usually happens. Are the habs not sick of hearing the same old story of "once your in the play offs anything can happen" or expect some sort of godly cinderella run? I think the habs have suffered long enough and MB and Molson need to go and actually sell the team to an owner that actually wants to win a cup instead of looking at that profit margin go up every year.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

Galchenyuk, Drouin and KK were top 5 picks and they aren't game breaking players. There is absolutely no guaranty you will draft a game breaking player in the top 5.

Look at the top 20 pts producer this year 50% are top 5 picks. Player development is so unpredictable that it could be argued that its better to have multiple picks, than to draft in the top 5.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Not sure why this is a surprise. Habs were looking good earlier this season before being plagued by injuries. Unless an unreal deal comes along Bergevin is going to want another kick at the can next year with our prospects a little older and ready to contribute. If next year doesn't go well we can still sell Petry and Tatar at the deadline.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Galchenyuk, Drouin and KK were top 5 picks and they aren't game breaking players. There is absolutely no guaranty you will draft a game breaking player in the top 5.

Look at the top 20 pts producer this year 50% are top 5 picks. Player development is so unpredictable that it could be argued that its better to have multiple picks, than to draft in the top 5.
Who says I guaranteed anything? I said I rather draft top 5 to get impact players and hopefully one of those impact players turns into a super star what the habs have been doing the last 30 years or whatever it is hasnt been working time to change it up its like trying to jam in a square piece into a circle hole doesnt matter how long you are at it it just wont work. At least with high draft picks there is at least SOME excitement instead of watching this awful team lose season after season.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Not sure why this is a surprise. Habs were looking good earlier this season before being plagued by injuries. Unless an unreal deal comes along Bergevin is going to want another kick at the can next year with our prospects a little older and ready to contribute. If next year doesn't go well we can still sell Petry and Tatar at the deadline.
same stories for 3rd straight year, please can we just stop this loser route ?

Reactions: Vonleo

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

No thanks.

Let's use your own logic , you use the qualifier "guarantees" , please demonstrate the guarantees provided by doing a "soft rebuild" where you aren't drafting top picks (essentially the Bergevin method).

I'll wait...

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
BargainBin will stand pat as he does every year and the Habs will miss the playoffs for the 4th year in 5...
He should sell high on Petry and Tatar...

Reactions: Gravity

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
same stories for 3rd straight year, please can we just stop this loser route ?
Yup if it isn't the injury excuse it will be another from that clown of a GM we have. There always seems to be a pathetic excuse coming out of that guys mouth and I am sick of it. If you go back to all his end of year conferences you can hear how pathetic this guy is using some sort of excuse as to why the habs failed that season or whatever just get rid of that loser and trade tatar and Price(I really don't care how much retention it takes to get Price off the books) and try and fix whatever damage MB has left the habs because this team he has put together just flat out SUCKS. It is time habs fans look at this team without rose colored glasses and see we have barely anything to show for the 8 f***ing years MB has been our GM! We have two aging star players and one small lil bright light in Suzuki big f'n whoop! I actually want to see a damn cup while I am alive here! I aint getting any younger!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad