LeBrun: Montreal not looking to trade Petry or Tatar.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
In fairness, Pacioretty was moved in the offseason, not the deadline. And there were plenty of Habs fans (myself included) that were pissed he wasn't moved at the deadline.

We also don't know what the market has been for them. But Montreal already has 13 picks in the upcoming draft (including three 2nds). Unless they're getting a decent 1st and/or a prospect they really like, there isn't much point in moving either right now. And if those pieces aren't being offered, then Bergevin isn't going to make the move.

If our 60+ point winger with some term (at a very reasonable price as he's already retained by Vegas) isn't worth a 1st and a solid prospect than Bergevin isn't trying to trade him.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Pacioretty trade?
Scandella and Kovalchuk?

Pacioretty trade is an example of selling low. Yes the return was good in the end but he was coming off his worst season.

Scandella/Kovalchuk were bargain deals. They barely were part of the organization to begin with.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If our 60+ point winger with some term (at a very reasonable price as he's already retained by Vegas) isn't worth a 1st and a solid prospect than Bergevin isn't trying to trade him.

Maybe, but it depends on who actually wants him and who actually is willing to pay that. We can look at the Coleman trade, but I'd wager that if a team had offered that to Montreal for Tatar, the trade would have happened already. Just because Bergevin isn't looking to trade Tatar, doesn't mean he wouldn't if someone offered the right price.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I would make available : Domi + Drouin + Kulak + Byron
Domi : 1rs + A Prospect
Drouin : 1rs + A Prospect
Kulak : 2rd
Byron : 2rd + B Prospect

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
6pts out of a playoff spot. Maybe he changed his mind and hopes they make it in somehow thanks to the Leafs and Panthers for being so bad too.

We aren't 6 points out , this is a lie. Toronto has a game in hand and wins on ROW. That means we have to win 5 more games than Toronto does over the next 19 games.

So if they get 14-5-0 , Habs have to go 17-1-0.
So if they go 12-7-0, Habs have to go 15-3.
Finally if they go 10-9-0, Habs still have to go 13-5-0.

Let's not forget Florida who has 20 games left...

If Florida goes 15-5-0 , Habs would have to go 17-0-1 or 18-0.
If Florida goes 12-8-0, Habs would have to 14-3-1 or 15-3.
If Florida goes 10-10-0, Habs would have to go 12-5-1.

I don't like this math one bit and only serves to ruin our chances at a top 10 pick (which we desperately need).

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Who the hell cares if they make the playoffs!?!? THEY WONT WIN THE CUP! that is the main and ONLY goal I am so sick and tired of people so happy to make the playoffs and use the damn excuse of "well anything can happen in the playoffs" expecting a damn cinderella run when that shit isnt something you can possibly bank on. The habs even if they made the playoffs will be finished in round 1 or 2 so why not do a proper rebuild so this team can actually compete for a CUP?

If you can't make the playoff, your young players don't get playoff experience and without that, forget about ever winning a cup. It,s not like the habs are not stockpilling picks and don't have a great prospect pool. The way I see it, at this point it is better to build a competing team and have a winning mentality until the prospects can add that much required debt to become contenders.

That is much better than being Buffalo or the Oilers

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Maybe, but it depends on who actually wants him and who actually is willing to pay that. We can look at the Coleman trade, but I'd wager that if a team had offered that to Montreal for Tatar, the trade would have happened already. Just because Bergevin isn't looking to trade Tatar, doesn't mean he wouldn't if someone offered the right price.

If anything the Coleman trade raises Tatar's value as it removes an option from the market and Tatar is a better/more proven player and should fetch even more. Tatar is in elite company for number of consecutive 20 goal seasons while also not having injury history and still being under 30.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
This is obviously just a ruse to try and get a better package. He’s waiting for Kreider to get traded before he moves Tatar to the highest bidder.

At least this is what any logical GM would do. I guess we’ll find out soon.
Unfortunately, he's not one of those GM's. He has the backing of the owner (for whatever unknown reason...) to flush this season because of injuries and push for a playoff position next season. I hate my team...gah.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If anything the Coleman trade raises Tatar's value as it removes an option from the market and Tatar is better more proven player and should fetch even more. Tatar is in elite company for number of consecutive 20 goal seasons.

It also removes a buyer that was very willing to move a 1st from the market. I'm not saying it wont happen, but Tampa was a contender with an extra 1st rounder. The only team that's probably a buyer now and has two 1sts is Carolina, and they're not looking for wingers.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I would make available : Domi + Drouin + Kulak + Byron
Domi : 1rs + A Prospect
Drouin : 1rs + A Prospect
Kulak : 2rd
Byron : 2rd + B Prospect

Again how many recent Habs first round picks have been as good as Domi or Drouin?

Let's trade good players with term right now for a pick that has a 10% chance to be as good as them in five years.

This is the HF recipe for success. :help:

Reactions: Gainesvillain

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
They are contending for a playoff spot so yeah, their window is larger than most...

You really think they can contend when in the playoffs? Seriously? Being a middle/bottom of the pack team for the past couple of seasons is pretty indicative that a rebuild should be happening.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Again how many recent Habs first round picks have been as good as Domi or Drouin?

Let's trade good players with term right now for a pick that has a 10% chance to be as good as them in five years.

This is the HF recipe for success. :help:
It's the A prospect that i am looking at ;-)

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
In my humble opinion, this is the right call for MTL. They shouldn't be selling every single player. They're not bottoming out, so it's a mistake to deal away everything you can.

They have to ice a team, and there wouldn't be much of one if they sell Petry and Tatar.

Fans today are too eager to scorch the earth.

And fans of yesterday are eager to scorch the earth because they realize this core isn't good enough to contend, let alone win, and at this rate, without scorched earth, they won't live long enough to see their team win again.

Reactions: gravitas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad