LeBrun: Montreal not looking to trade Petry or Tatar.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
What would be stupid would be to trade our leading scorer, who is still under contract for another year, for a mystery box.

Trivia: How many 70 point scorers have the Habs drafted in the last 10 years?

Answer: Zero.

There comes a time when you have to be honest with yourself and admit what you have on your hands. Habs don't have the makings of a winning club in the next few years. Maximizing what you can get for a player who will be 30 for most of the next season might be more valuable to the Canadiens going forward than keeping him for next season so that they finish 20th instead of 25th in the league.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Montreal isn't going to sell Petry and Tatar at low price at the TDL.

Bergevin doesn't like making trade at TDL. he prefer doing his trades during the summer and draft day.
I don't blame him.

Reactions: CDN24

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Petry and Tatar are both under contract next year. One is our top producer and the 0ther is our #2 D and best PMD.

Trading them means a rebuilt because you will not compete without these 2. But you will still have Price and Weber to make sure Habs don't finish with a top 5 pick. SO if you are not trading Price or Weber, why the hell are you trading Petry or Tatar. Why not try to compete next year and if it does not work, Habs can still trade both players at the deadline.

This Habs team can definitely compete for a playoff push next year. Injuries hurt and lack of debt hurt us this year but with a few decent summer pickups things can be very different.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Eh, for what those guys bring to the table I say keep 'em unless there is an offer that can't be resisted. Domi on the other hand......................

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Petry and Tatar are both under contract next year. One is our top producer and the 0ther is our #2 D and best PMD.

Trading them means a rebuilt because you will not compete without these 2. But you will still have Price and Weber to make sure Habs don't finish with a top 5 pick. SO if you are not trading Price or Weber, why the hell are you trading Petry or Tatar. Why not try to compete next year and if it does not work, Habs can still trade both players at the deadline.

This Habs team can definitely compete for a playoff push next year. Injuries hurt and lack of debt hurt us this year but with a few decent summer pickups things can be very different.
Who the hell cares if they make the playoffs!?!? THEY WONT WIN THE CUP! that is the main and ONLY goal I am so sick and tired of people so happy to make the playoffs and use the damn excuse of "well anything can happen in the playoffs" expecting a damn cinderella run when that shit isnt something you can possibly bank on. The habs even if they made the playoffs will be finished in round 1 or 2 so why not do a proper rebuild so this team can actually compete for a CUP?

Reactions: pepperMonkey

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019

Wow, we can compete for a playoff push! We might even squeeze into the wildcard spot! Surely what happens next wouldn't be a complete dismantling of our team at the hands of Tampa or Boston. After all, we've been sold on the idea that once you make the playoffs anything can happen. Besides, this core has such a phenomenal track record of making the playoffs!

Then all that's left to do is resign or let our many UFAs go. Thank god we didn't trade them or get any actual value for them, they were integral to our first round playoff exit - if we even get there.

Reactions: samsagat and Vonleo

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
I know it could backfire if both Petry and Tatar have downseasons next year, but I dont think MB is losing that much for keeping them 1 more year... I feel the return would be almost the same at the trade deadline next year as it is this year.
They will try to extend them this off-season, and if they dont want to resign, we will trade them at TDL next season.
They will probably fetch 1st round picks and prospect next season too

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Wow, we can compete for a playoff push! We might even squeeze into the wildcard spot! Surely what happens next wouldn't be a complete dismantling of our team at the hands of Tampa or Boston. After all, we've been sold on the idea that once you make the playoffs anything can happen. Besides, this core has such a phenomenal track record of making the playoffs!

Then all that's left to do is resign or let our many UFAs go. Thank god we didn't trade them or get any actual value for them, they were integral to our first round playoff exit - if we even get there.
Thank god there are actual Habs fans that see the bigger picture! :thumbu:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Summer pickups? UFA's don't want to come to Montreal.....

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I know it could backfire if both Petry and Tatar have downseasons next year, but I dont think MB is losing that much for keeping them 1 more year... I feel the return would be almost the same at the trade deadline next year as it is this year.
They will try to extend them this off-season, and if they dont want to resign, we will trade them at TDL next season.
They will probably fetch 1st round picks and prospect next season too
No they lose a ton of value you know why? because teams would actually want TWO playoff runs instead of ONE and the way they both play next season absolutely determines there value.

Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Remind me what Pacioretty's return was?

In fairness, Pacioretty was moved in the offseason, not the deadline. And there were plenty of Habs fans (myself included) that were pissed he wasn't moved at the deadline.

We also don't know what the market has been for them. But Montreal already has 13 picks in the upcoming draft (including three 2nds). Unless they're getting a decent 1st and/or a prospect they really like, there isn't much point in moving either right now. And if those pieces aren't being offered, then Bergevin isn't going to make the move.

Reactions: CDN24

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
In fairness, Pacioretty was moved in the offseason, not the deadline. And there were plenty of Habs fans (myself included) that were pissed he wasn't moved at the deadline.

We also don't know what the market has been for them. But Montreal already has 13 picks in the upcoming draft (including three 2nds). Unless they're getting a decent 1st and/or a prospect they really like, there isn't much point in moving either right now. And if those pieces aren't being offered, then Bergevin isn't going to make the move.
There is always a chance the Habs can package picks together to move up in the draft though but for sure Tatar and Petry are being offered 1st round draft picks where on the draft board is anyones guess though.

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
No they lose a ton of value you know why? because teams would actually want TWO playoff runs instead of ONE and the way they both play next season absolutely determines there value.
I know...
But what's the difference team would pay for the extra year?
If it's less then a 1st, a late second around the 55-62OA pick doesn't cut it for me.
Prefer to take the risk to extend them this summer, Petry is top 20 in the league. Next year, if he doesnt want to resign, i'm sure he could still fetch a 1st and a B+, A- Prospect

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I know...
But what's the difference team would pay for the extra year?
If it's less then a 1st, a late second around the 55-62OA pick doesn't cut it for me.
Prefer to take the risk to extend them this summer, Petry is top 20 in the league. Next year, if he doesnt want to resign, i'm sure he could still fetch a 1st and a B+, A- Prospect
We really shouldn't be signing players on the wrong side of 30 though Petry I can see being signed because I don't think Weber has many years left and we do need veteran D to mentor the kids but Tatar doesn't fit the bill this doesn't include how much it take to resign both of them and they would most likely want max year contracts which as we have seen time and time again is a bad idea.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Without injuries Habs were a playoffs team, Bergevin wants to give it another shot next year, simple as that.

Petey and Tatar will still hold value at next years deadline

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Montreal isn't going to sell Petry and Tatar at low price at the TDL.

Bergevin doesn't like making trade at TDL. he prefer doing his trades during the summer and draft day.
I don't blame him.

Exactly, he didm`t move Pacioretty at TDL, he didn`t move him at the draft, he moved him at the end of the summer and got what he wanted. I`m not sure that their value is at its highest. It may be higher in the summer when more teams are interested.

Reactions: llamateizer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad