Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Acquire Gustav Olofsson from Minnesota for Will Bitten

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I still think Benn is going to get moved or waived at some point...

And you probably won't be able to trade the guy if he's a healthy scratch game 1.

There's some NHL experience in Laval with Olofsson, Kulak and even Lernout.
At this point why not just waive Alzner. The Hans aren’t close to being contenders and we’re no where close to spending to the cap in the next few years
We have to Many young guys who won’t be making a lot of money. Cap space is not an issue
Alzner is barely an NHL d man. He’s not needed

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know Olofsson so can't comment. But management must have seen something in him they like. I remember Reilly trade was laughed at also on here but same posters are reporting he had a great camp. So, who knows?
Those posters were looking to get mad at Bergevin for no reason. It was a great trade from the start. Reilly was a college standout while Olofsson wasn't. I don't like this trade, but it isn't that big of a deal.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I like this move. He moves the puck surprisingly well and has been steadily improving. I'm not sure why people keep pointing out he was on waivers... is that supposed to mean he isn't worth acquiring?

Reactions: Redux91 and 417

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would rather NOT have traded Bitten, since I kinda liked him as a player, but...
He was probably a bit redundant. I would probably have traded someone else, but that meant trading a contract... And it's not like Bitten is suuuuper likely to end up an NHL'er either.

Reactions: Redux91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Olofsson never did anything useful when I watched the few wild games. Of course I havent watched too much of him, but even Wild fans say that he sucks a lot. I liked Reilly A LOT more. I also dont think Bitten is a long shot to make the nhl. With his speed and motor, he could earn himself a bottom 6 role on a team in the future.
Olofsson has played 56 NHL so far...on a very deep defense.

He's a lot like Reilly, caught up in a numbers game in Minny.

He's got skills, he's can skate really well, move the puck up quickly which falls in line with what the Habs want from their D this year, he's got good size and pedigree.

He just needs more consistency & to be more assertive.

I really liked him at the WJC's for Sweden a few years back.

He's an NHL player IMO.

I can't say the same for Bitten.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
2jb4xh.jpg

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
At this point why not just waive Alzner. The Hans aren’t close to being contenders and we’re no where close to spending to the cap in the next few years
We have to Many young guys who won’t be making a lot of money. Cap space is not an issue
Alzner is barely an NHL d man. He’s not needed
What's would be the point of waiving Alzner other than to send him a message?

No team is going to pick up that contract and there's no way they're sending him down to Laval.

I think they're trying to give him a "shock treatment" to pick up his play.

But for me, it's Jordie Benn's that's on his last legs.

All of Ouelett, Schlemko, Olofsson & Kulak are better players than he is.

Reactions: Redux91

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Olofsson has played 56 NHL so far...on a very deep defense.

He's a lot like Reilly, caught up in a numbers game in Minny.

He's got skills, he's can skate really well, move the puck up quickly which falls in line with what the Habs want from their D this year, he's got good size and pedigree.

He just needs more consistency & to be more assertive.

I really liked him at the WJC's for Sweden a few years back.

He's an NHL player IMO.

I can't say the same for Bitten.
I liked Reilly a lot more and we gave up a lot less for him. If he is an NHL player, they could have just picked him up and trade Benn for a 7th or something. Bitten is 4 years younger, I would hope that Olofsson is closer to NHL ready.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
What's would be the point of waiving Alzner other than to send him a message?

No team is going to pick up that contract and there's no way they're sending him down to Laval.

I think they're trying to give him a "shock treatment" to pick up his play.

But for me, it's Jordie Benn's that's on his last legs.

All of Ouelett, Schlemko, Olofsson & Kulak are better players than he is.
You’re a prettt smart fan, do you really think shock treatment will work for alzner? He has no tools for how the NHL is played now
He reminds me of wade redden He’s done

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
So does this trade mean we are not signing Despres?
People need to keep in mind that if KK plays more than 9 games, we will need a contract space for him, so we needed to get rid of a contract.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I liked Reilly a lot more and we gave up a lot less for him. If he is an NHL player, they could have just picked him up and trade Benn for a 7th or something. Bitten is 4 years younger, I would hope that Olofsson is closer to NHL ready.
Where does Will Bitten fit on our prospect depth chart IYO?

Because he's pretty far down as far as i'm concerned.

Good motor, great skater, small and not much offensive upside.

Oloffson is going to play some NHL games this year and likely have an NHL career.

Bitten is years away from playing in the NHL, if at all.

Bitten is a victim of an improved prospect group.

Reactions: Redux91 and Max2

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You’re a prettt smart fan, do you really think shock treatment will work for alzner? He has no tools for how the NHL is played now
He reminds me of wade redden He’s done
I don't disagree...i'm just spit balling here.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Kind of one of those sideways moves that every team makes.Bitten hasn't progressed much and looks to be regressing a bit at the higher levels so the habs are moving on. I can see Bitten becoming a Tom Pyatt penalty killing/energy type who gets by because of his skating but not much else.

Reactions: 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad