Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Acquire Gustav Olofsson from Minnesota for Will Bitten

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Answering questions with questions eh? :naughty:

How is he not worth more than a 5th?

I don't know, maybe based on the fact he's never distinguished himself as an NHL prospect at this point in his career, he was team Canada's WJC's radar a few years ago, but when he went to camp he was completely outclassed by others. His offensive numbers in juniors never progressed...
I still dont think that means that he isnt with more than a 5th. Anyways, trade is a whatever trade, but I'd rather have bitten.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He has a history of shoulder injuries. Drafted in 2013. Had 1st surgery 2015(?) and missed a whole year. Had second surgery in 2016 it looks like. And i beleive it was first game of preseason this year, Laine hit him and hurt his shoulder again. He didn’t play rest of preseason and was cleared healthwise just in time for waivers. Worrying.
Certainly is worrying, relatively speaking...

But for Will Bitten?

It's worth it.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Player often clear waivers and are then traded.You don't seem to understand how this works.Teams have contract number limits and just because a player goes unclaimed on waivers doesn't mean no team wants then or they aren't NHL caliber players.There are contract limits as I said and this is a big issue especially at the start of the season.Teams don't put players on waivers to get rid of them rather they may feel that they need more training in the AHL or want to add depth to the minor league team etc etc.
I 100% understand how it works. I just dont think it was worth the ahl flexibility that's all.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Player often clear waivers and are then traded.You don't seem to understand how this works.Teams have contract number limits and just because a player goes unclaimed on waivers doesn't mean no team wants then or they aren't NHL caliber players.There are contract limits as I said and this is a big issue especially at the start of the season.Teams don't put players on waivers to get rid of them rather they may feel that they need more training in the AHL or want to add depth to the minor league team etc etc.
It has nothing to do with the contract limits, it's the ability to send them down without needing to waive them again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Olofsson was on waivers right? I'm betting this is about a contract limit of 50 contracts. Still seems like a weird trade. Do the Habs now need to send Olofsson down on waivers?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I still dont think that means that he isnt with more than a 5th. Anyways, trade is a whatever trade, but I'd rather have bitten.
I'm a bit perplexed why you would think a player drafted in 2016...whose numbers haven't progressed, who was even surpassed in scoring by younger players on his junior team...

Would return an actual NHL draft pick from a team.

I mean, we've all been talking about the future of the Montreal Canadiens the last few months and which young players fit into that picture.

I don't recall one single person ever mentioning Will Bitten as part of the future.

But I suppose we'll see

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'm a bit perplexed why you would think a player drafted in 2016...whose numbers haven't progressed, who was even surpassed in scoring by younger players on his junior team...

Would return an actual NHL draft pick from a team.

I mean, we've all been talking about the future of the Montreal Canadiens the last few months and which young players fit into that picture.

I don't recall one single person ever mentioning Will Bitten as part of the future.

But I suppose we'll see
People liked him at the rookie camp, I was one of them. There are more than points when evaluating a prospect. Mitch Brown, who's opinion I respect a lot, was a fan of his. Same for Brock who covers the OHL. Anyway, we'll see but for a guy who cleared waivers I would've preferred trading Addison or Audette.

Jul 6, 2016
Olofsson was on waivers right? I'm betting this is about a contract limit of 50 contracts. Still seems like a weird trade. Do the Habs now need to send Olofsson down on waivers?

No. They can send him directly to Laval. That is why they made a trade for him instead of just picking him off the waivers. They don't have to keep him 30 days at NHL level

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
People liked him at the rookie camp, I was one of them. There are more than points when evaluating a prospect. Mitch Brown, who's opinion I respect a lot, was a fan of his. Same for Brock who covers the OHL. Anyway, we'll see but for a guy who cleared waivers I would've preferred trading Addison or Audette.
Bitten, Addison or Audette

PotAto, POtato, PotatO

Edit - out of these 3 I bet Addison will have an NHL career among them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is further proof that their are an abundance of LDs league wide. As much as it is our biggest hole, at least it is an easy hole to fill. Gambling on a bunch of these LDs should land us 1 or 2- and it looks like we've found one already in Reilly.

There seems to be an abundance of them in Minny, tho.

Reactions: Redux91

Jul 6, 2016

I agree with you. But I guess Minny wanted a better player than one of these two who might just be AHL players for their whole career. Bitten must be sad and pissed off. The kid - who is francophone by the way - was super happy to be drafted by the Habs org.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad