Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens Acquire Gustav Olofsson from Minnesota for Will Bitten

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Love this trade (relatively speaking, it's not like it's a blockbuster).

Olofsson was a guy I thought the Habs should target last trade deadline, they got Reilly instead...but they probably got a good look at Olofsson while they were scouting Reilly.

More talent added to our LHD pool...he's closer to making an impact in the NHL than Bitten would be.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Don't get this one, not like I get many of the moves Bergevin makes, they acquire a dman who has injury issues I believe and are sending him down to the AHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I was souring on Bitten anyway. I liked the pick initially but don't feel he has progressed since his draft. I even felt his top-end speed had dropped a bit relative to the competition. I don't think he was projecting to be much. Wheels and tenacity may make him a depth/PK guy at some point, but I'm not heartbroken.
Totally agree that he did not elevate his game from his draft year. One thing for sure Laval should have a heck of a D. I have no issue with this trade.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All u Olofssons r belong 2 us!

This one is a Swede. And to top it all off ...

2jb0x0.jpg

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Every team has a limit on the amount of contracts they can have.

Makes sense to move one out, if you bring one in.

Yeah, waivers can be a free asset but you can't just go around grabbing players as contract spots are also valuable.

Too bad, I liked Bitten but I always felt his absolute max ceiling was borderline top-9, and more likely bottom-6.

Maybe this will encourage @Per Sjoblom to stick around between games when Dahlin is lighting us up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wasn't this dude on waivers?

Yes, I guess Bitten has no value - needed to get rid of his contract to make room for Olofsen.

Well we got Reilly from the Wild. We know they have a deep dcore and can't make room for everyone.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Bitten didn't crack more than PPG in the OHL even in his draft+2 season. Guy has limited offensive potential and a small 5'10, 170 frame which doesn't work well as a 4th liner. We get a serviceable defenseman who played 41 nhl games last year. I like it.

For that earlier comment where Bittens top potential was Byron, even that is a stretch. Byron draft+1 year he had 68pts in 52gp, 99pts in 64gp in his draft+2. Even Byron had a much higher offensive upside.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs could have surely claimed Olofsson off waivers, but with the Habs close to the 50-contract limit, they surely felt that they needed to move a contract in order to take one one, giving themselves some wiggle room if they make any other moves. My wish is Cale Fleury is signed to his ELC to play in Laval

Getting Kulak and Olofsson gives the Habs two defensemen much closer to NHL-readiness.

Big fan of Bitten's, but the Rocket are deep on forwards and needed to make up for Taormina and Valiev being moved. They went from having a 31-year old and a 23-year old to having a 23-year old and a 24-year old. They got younger there.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I have absolutely know idea what Bergevin is planning. They have seven LHD that require waivers on the team. I usually don't have a problem when Bergevin throws darts at the board since the risk is minimal, but he's trading assets to do so.

Don't really have an opinion on the trade in particular since I don't know much about Olofsson, but its really unclear what the plan is here beyond lets get older young guys so we can compete more quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad